Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 123456752 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage Center

Default Re: Stage Center Left Out

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I like to call this architectural populism. It's fine and dandy and all, but I will stand up against populism when it threatens to murder a cherished structure for being different.
    Murder a cherished building, gracie?

Methinks you might trip over your own hyperbole..

nm
    Last edited by SoonerDave; 04-07-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Don't want to start a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    How about "highest cost-per-seat structure" of anything remotely intended ever to be used as a theater?
    Have you ever seen a play inside of it?

Nope...couldn't care less about it, either.

In all fairness, Spartan, I deleted that response to avoid the sparring. You like the building, I don't, everyone's happy.

If we demolished the only building in this city to receive an AIA honor award, I think I might give up on this town...

http://aiawebdev2.aia.org/about2_tem...orawards_70_79
    Last edited by BDK; 04-07-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: link added

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Nope...couldn't care less about it, either.

In all fairness, Spartan, I deleted that response to avoid the sparring. You like the building, I don't, everyone's happy.
    Well, I think you're getting kind of defensive, but there's no harm done, it's just a forum debate and there's always multiple viewpoints. Nobody called you a "plebe" especially considering that you weren't even in the thread when the comment you were alluding to was made.

I think that's a pretty negative response, though, how people on here constantly accuse people of "talking down" whenever they use correct architectural terminology or speak of buildings in the way that scholars do. What bothers me is that anyone can be a scholar when it comes to buildings, just research the ones you like, start to converse with those who share your interest, etc.

It's throwing stones to launch the elitism accusation, especially to feign as if your supposed "lack of intelligence" is being insulted by someone speaking in a passionate and scholarly tone about buildings. I know there's a better response than the "plebe" card. I respect that you don't care for the architecture, but I do think you should respect the fact that countless others do care for this piece of architecture.

... or are buildings just buildings? Not worthy of being passionately discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by benman View Post
    That piece of crap needs to be bulldozed and the land used to build something that is useful and good looking.
    I guess you would probably say the same thing about this bulding then:

http://www.centrepompidouparis.com/

The local population was up in arms when it was built but it is now treasured.

Default Re: Stage Center

ljbab: remember reading where they thought the same thing about the Eiffel Tower (Awful Tower)...LOL

9. Default Re: Stage Center

Spent a while at Stage Center today after work. Got video all around, from all angles. The aim is to have a reference for further discussion.

Blog Entries

I have and enjoyed it very much.

Blog Entries

Well, I think you're getting kind of defensive, but there's no harm done, it's just a forum debate and there's always multiple viewpoints. Nobody called you a "plebe" especially considering that you weren't even in the thread when the comment you were alluding to was made.

I think that's a pretty negative response, though, how people on here constantly accuse people of "talking down" whenever they use correct architectural terminology or speak of buildings in the way that scholars do. What bothers me is that anyone can be a scholar when it comes to buildings, just research the ones you like, start to converse with those who share your interest, etc.

It's throwing stones to launch the elitism accusation, especially to feign as if your supposed "lack of intelligence" is being insulted by someone speaking in a passionate and scholarly tone about buildings. I know there's a better response than the "plebe" card. I respect that you don't care for the architecture, but I do think you should respect the fact that countless others do care for this piece of architecture.

... or are buildings just buildings? Not worthy of being passionately discussed?
    Appreciation of architecture, art, or other cultural items is not a matter of class, but of taste and culture. People should appreciate design whether it is the style they LIKE or not. I don't like country music, but I appreciate that it can have great artistic merit. While I don't think we would want a city full of this style, we ought to appreciate the uniqueness and the beauty of this particular building. It is significant.

I regularly watched plays in the early 80s. I remember Elephant Man so clearly even now. I think it was in the smaller theater.

The great thing about the venue was the intimacy you shared with both the performers and your fellow patron. So when it was good it was more like being a part of an experience than a spectator.

Every seat felt close to the stage. Even the intermissions were opportunities to have little reunions with friends and sometimes the actors were out and available.

It wasn't the most comftorable building and it was pretty obvious from the beginning that maintenance was going to be a problem. But it's quirkiness really did grow on me.

If it's renovated I think there are probably ways to improve efficiency and maintenance.

I would really hate to see it lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I have and enjoyed it very much.
    I have as well. I have been to plays in many cities and theaters and I've never been anywhere that could match it for embience to connect the play to the audience.

I think the stage center is very ugly from a distance, but really awesome up close. I hope they can get it fixed, and maybe improve it.

Does anyone know what was there before Stage Center was built?

Maybe they could expand Stage Center south, and double it's size, doesn't the Art's Council own that lot to the south?

Even if they did wouldn't that put it in competition with venues at the Myriad Gardens and Devon Auditorium, given that Devon will book plays and performances for the public?

17. Default Re: Stage Center

http://www.seasonsofsoulfilm.com/Mummers_Theater.html

“My purpose in... [building] the Mummers Theater... was to excite, intrigue, tempt, and entrap. In the Mummers Theater... theatergoers are drawn into a building as stage set and feel themselves actors among professionals on the stage itself, in a total, combined performance. As I like to make the analogy, such buildings are like artful, subtle women who, offering love, do not give themselves, but ask to be taken.”

- John M Johansen
    Video clips.

http://www.seasonsofsoulfilm.com/SEA...ITE/Clips.html

I think this man would have a problem with his building being bulldozed.

18. Default Re: Stage Center

Well, in spite of the above post... I am still in support of the Stage Center. Lol

20. Default Re: Stage Center

Thanks for posting the links, UnFrSaKn. The article from okchistory.com was really interesting. I was young when it opened, but I remember the controversy and comments. It's our turn to help save this building.

21. Default Re: Stage Center

I'm back 4 and a half hours later to share something I found that should give us cause to pause. "75 Abandoned Theaters From Around The USA". It's mostly movie theaters, but there's a few stage theatres as well. Sad and fascinating at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Maybe they could expand Stage Center south, and double it's size, doesn't the Art's Council own that lot to the south?

Even if they did wouldn't that put it in competition with venues at the Myriad Gardens and Devon Auditorium, given that Devon will book plays and performances for the public?
    I'm not sure why you think it should be expanded in size?

23. Default Re: Stage Center

Required viewing.

More photos up later.

Thread Information