Widgets Magazine

Thread: Stage Center

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Stage Center Left Out

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    How about "highest cost-per-seat structure" of anything remotely intended ever to be used as a theater?
    Have you ever seen a play inside of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Nope...couldn't care less about it, either.

In all fairness, Spartan, I deleted that response to avoid the sparring. You like the building, I don't, everyone's happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Nope...couldn't care less about it, either.

In all fairness, Spartan, I deleted that response to avoid the sparring. You like the building, I don't, everyone's happy.
    Well, I think you're getting kind of defensive, but there's no harm done, it's just a forum debate and there's always multiple viewpoints. Nobody called you a "plebe" especially considering that you weren't even in the thread when the comment you were alluding to was made.

I think that's a pretty negative response, though, how people on here constantly accuse people of "talking down" whenever they use correct architectural terminology or speak of buildings in the way that scholars do. What bothers me is that anyone can be a scholar when it comes to buildings, just research the ones you like, start to converse with those who share your interest, etc.

It's throwing stones to launch the elitism accusation, especially to feign as if your supposed "lack of intelligence" is being insulted by someone speaking in a passionate and scholarly tone about buildings. I know there's a better response than the "plebe" card. I respect that you don't care for the architecture, but I do think you should respect the fact that countless others do care for this piece of architecture.

... or are buildings just buildings? Not worthy of being passionately discussed?

Blog Entries

Well, I think you're getting kind of defensive, but there's no harm done, it's just a forum debate and there's always multiple viewpoints. Nobody called you a "plebe" especially considering that you weren't even in the thread when the comment you were alluding to was made.

I think that's a pretty negative response, though, how people on here constantly accuse people of "talking down" whenever they use correct architectural terminology or speak of buildings in the way that scholars do. What bothers me is that anyone can be a scholar when it comes to buildings, just research the ones you like, start to converse with those who share your interest, etc.

It's throwing stones to launch the elitism accusation, especially to feign as if your supposed "lack of intelligence" is being insulted by someone speaking in a passionate and scholarly tone about buildings. I know there's a better response than the "plebe" card. I respect that you don't care for the architecture, but I do think you should respect the fact that countless others do care for this piece of architecture.

... or are buildings just buildings? Not worthy of being passionately discussed?
    Appreciation of architecture, art, or other cultural items is not a matter of class, but of taste and culture. People should appreciate design whether it is the style they LIKE or not. I don't like country music, but I appreciate that it can have great artistic merit. While I don't think we would want a city full of this style, we ought to appreciate the uniqueness and the beauty of this particular building. It is significant.

Blog Entries

I have and enjoyed it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I have and enjoyed it very much.
    I have as well. I have been to plays in many cities and theaters and I've never been anywhere that could match it for embience to connect the play to the audience.

Default Re: Stage Center

I think the stage center is very ugly from a distance, but really awesome up close. I hope they can get it fixed, and maybe improve it.

Thread Information