Widgets Magazine

Thread: SoSA District

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: SoSA District Update

By the school, you mean once the Emerson School is renovated? Or do you mean the downtown elementary down on Sheridan and Walker?

2. Default Re: SoSA District Update

There are a few new projects on the board: The Mode multifamily project at 9th & Shartel, and a private residence at 7th & Dewey… one is contemporary, the other a contrary retro design.

Although I personally prefer contemporary design, I promote design freedom… but first there has to be design. (I’d prefer not to see “builder” cottages or McMansions because there are plenty of other places where those are appropriate, not in SoSA.)

The City’s design guidelines COULD be crafted to encourage a contemporary or even experimental esthetic, but those crafters are not crafty enough… and a group of neighbors will have a group of differing preferences that would turn into guideline-mush.

We’ll know where SoSA is headed when it gets there.

Two additional home projects should start at 7th and Dewey within the next few months, from what I have heard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dwellsokc View Post
    The City’s design guidelines COULD be crafted to encourage a contemporary or even experimental esthetic, but those crafters are not crafty enough… and a group of neighbors will have a group of differing preferences that would turn into guideline-mush.

We’ll know where SoSA is headed when it gets there.
    So now you want our government to start telling people where they have to live if they want a certain type of aesthetic/size of home? This sounds very much like central social planning or the city as a developer. I think I prefer organic mix and choice. Homogeneous neighborhoods may well develop if there is enough demand for it and a private developer or sets of developers will collaborate. However, we tend to object to planned developments here.

Thread Information