Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: SoSA District

Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by MidCenturyModOKC View Post
    Thanks Urban Pioneer! I am spending today researching the above names that you mentioned. My style is the Hook Residence by Randy Floyd but it is way out of my price range. I also like the personal home that Branson Young did in the SoSA area a great deal!
    If you want to keep your cost down - and I mean way down - trying building your home out of shipping containers. I just read an article on it the other day but I can't remember where. The cost compared to a regular home was much lower. They don't look like shipping containers when they are done (unless you want them to).

Wow! I love the second picture! I have always wanted a pool!

Wow! I love the second picture! I have always wanted a pool!
    Go three stories and rent out the 3rd floor and you can afford the pool.

I love those. There's a show on MTV called Extreme Cribs, it's actually cool it highlights unusual architecture, and they've featured several nice looking container houses recently.

I wish I could remember where I read the article the other day about these. They had a picture of one of homes and you couldn't even tell it was built from 6 containers. It had a standard roof, front porch, and siding.

Each shipping container cost between $1,500 and $3,000 so even at the max price you are looking at $18,000 for 1,920 sq feet of living space (using six 40' containers). Of course that isn't the final price because you still have to finish them out but it isn't a bad start.

http://www.containersnow.com/

I do love all of the alternative building ideas that have surfaced in recent years! My real concern is working with local OKC contractors who can do the finish work on a project like that. I see many potential problems arising!

Some of the container project can turn out very nice. I'm afraid that some are slums waiting to happen.

Here's a cool ISBU loft project in Utah.

Would definitely not survive the quakenado nonetheless...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Would definitely not survive the quakenado nonetheless...
    These containers are stacked 10 high on cargo ships going through the open ocean. They will survive an earthqauke easily. They are only help together by pins on a cargo ship but in a house they are welded together.

He said quakenado, not earthquake. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    He said quakenado, not earthquake. LOL
    They will survive the tornado also. All the glass might not but the steel structure will.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    They will survive the tornado also. All the glass might not but the steel structure will.
    LOL just nevermind. Thanks for all your facts though.

Sure they may be able to survive a tornado or an earth quake but there's no way they could survive a quakenado or whatever it's called. No way. That is the mother of all mother natures fury. It's Big

I know this is NOT a forum for alternative building ideas. But many of the people who are interested in SoSA are also interested in modern construction/design, and I have been looking for a lot in SoSA...So I post the question...Has anyone ever seen the modern homes made out of standard commercial steel buildings (the kind used for large warehouses)? I think that the cost alone makes them very attractive, normally $25000 or less for approx 2000 sq feet, but I think with the right designer you could really make something special! Thoughts?

What about energy efficiency?!?! Do they keep in cold/hot air well?

Well from what I have read some are qualifying for LEED certification! From the factory the panels can have R40 insulation value! I won't build anything that isn't green!

I know this is NOT a forum for alternative building ideas. But many of the people who are interested in SoSA are also interested in modern construction/design, and I have been looking for a lot in SoSA...So I post the question...Has anyone ever seen the modern homes made out of standard commercial steel buildings (the kind used for large warehouses)? I think that the cost alone makes them very attractive, normally $25000 or less for approx 2000 sq feet, but I think with the right designer you could really make something special! Thoughts?
    There must be a reason standard steel buildings aren't used for residential. I checked out General Steel Corporation and they make steel buildings for everything except residential.

http://www.generalsteelcorporation.c..._buildings.htm

I know this isn't exactly what you're talking about but you reminded me of this condominium near where my brother lives in LA. You may not be able to tell too clearly from the pic but it has metal siding all over the building.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=34.083917...,50.01,,0,4.42

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    There must be a reason standard steel buildings aren't used for residential. I checked out General Steel Corporation and they make steel buildings for everything except residential.

http://www.generalsteelcorporation.c..._buildings.htm
    From what I am reading it is becoming more common everyday. The restriction of having to design something that is square and rectangle and has very few lines to it I think keeps it from mainstream...But I would say that modern designed homes in general are not built as frequently. The big steel companies, and there are tons, mention residential but as far as focus on it I don't think they do because thats not way keeps the lights on. Obviously these are always going to be used for garages and shops and commercial but I think it has some interesting potential.

23. Default Re: SoSA District Update

There are a lot of alternative steel home products, but it takes some design skill to keep them from looking stupid (see some bad examples here): http://www.steelmasterusa.com/quonset-hut-homes Google “metal building homes” and you’ll find several other terrible examples.

I have designed (but never built) some pretty funky “Quonset” homes… I’m convinced that you can build a very Dwellish abode with steel buildings, but the creativity-killing regulations will most likely prevent them from happening in SoSA (whole nuther subject).

Steel buildings can be inexpensive, hurricane resistant, green, and architecturally acceptable at the same time… problem is, it’ll probably be a wash after you pay the right designer to keep it from looking like an abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by dwellsokc View Post
    There are a lot of alternative steel home products, but it takes some design skill to keep them from looking stupid (see some bad examples here): http://www.steelmasterusa.com/quonset-hut-homes Google “metal building homes” and you’ll find several other terrible examples.

I have designed (but never built) some pretty funky “Quonset” homes… I’m convinced that you can build a very Dwellish abode with steel buildings, but the creativity-killing regulations will most likely prevent them from happening in SoSA (whole nuther subject).

Steel buildings can be inexpensive, hurricane resistant, green, and architecturally acceptable at the same time… problem is, it’ll probably be a wash after you pay the right designer to keep it from looking like an abortion.
    Dwells, thanks so much for the response. Thats what I would consider an educated opinion! Your example of bad designs are HORRIBLE! If one of those were built close to property I owned I would be disappointed! I have been working on collecting ideas and am doing well so far...What I am very concerned about are the regulations or design restrictions that might prevent me from making this a reality!

But you could easily tap into the incredible creativity of Randy Floyd if you want a nice little wooden cottage in SoSA.

There's a really awesome urban development in the Fourth Ward area of Houston (between Midtown and Downtown) that has 150 of these steel modern homes. I think rows and rows of this type of architecture is only possible in Houston, though.

Thread Information