Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: SoSA District

Default Re: SoSA District

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Double lot (50 x 140) for sale on 7th Street right in the heart of all the nicer, new homes: $300K.

http://portal.ikenex.com/share/NjE2N...454#ad-image-0

Was it 300k for both together? or 300k each?

It's sad that these 7th street lots have been bought up and no one is building.

Absolutely.

I lived in SoSA for a year and those streets don't carry much traffic at all and are barriers to a more intimate neighborhood feel.

Just look at the Dwellings at SoSA being built on a 4-lane 6th Street. Think about how much nicer that setting would be with 2 lanes, bike lanes, etc.

And BTW, NW 4th as it heads into downtown from the west is one of the most embarrassingly bad stretches of road in all of OKC. Badly patched and just awful.
    Agreed. 6th street feels like the end of the neighborhood heading south. I use to live on 7th in SoSA and I would walk around to the north but would never cross 6th. Sunnyside Diner wasn't there yet though, I would have crossed for that. ha.

Would be cool if they put in bike lanes and narrowed these streets somehow.

Here you can see 4 homes under construction on either side of NW 6th: 1 on the north side 3 on the south.

Also, Union at SoSA is visible.

Does anybody know anything about the one being built with the huge piece jutting out the front??

Also, I was told by Vincent Le the other day that the Church on 8th is supposedly in the works to become a 10 unit development.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Does anybody know anything about the one being built with the huge piece jutting out the front??
    It's being built by Michael McCoy (I believe as a personal residence) who also owns the building and architecture firm directly east.

It's being built by Michael McCoy (I believe as a personal residence) who also owns the building and architecture firm directly east.
    Ah ok. Thanks for the info and renderings. I love a pretty diverse array of architecture but I think I dislike that a lot. Maybe it will grow on me.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Ah ok. Thanks for the info and renderings. I love a pretty diverse array of architecture but I think I dislike that a lot. Maybe it will grow on me.
    lol. No think to it - it's ugly. But to each their own.

Seems like it's a recipe for high repair bills as soon as a really strong wind comes through.

Blog Entries

I mean, he's a architect from Oklahoma. Hopefully something he considered.

This is the house being built by the architect who also owns and rehabbed the office building in the foreground.

This is the house being built by the architect who also owns and rehabbed the office building in the foreground.

He gets straight to the point with his design.

HangryHippo Guest

That office "rehab" needs a rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    He gets straight to the point with his design.
    You might say his design is pretty... sharp.

14. Default Re: SoSA District

"Prick" pun in 3...2...

I dunno. I don't like the design of either building -at all- but even weird architecture like this does give a city character. So at least that.

I like modern design, I do. But this seems out of place or something. Seems like a weird fit for the location. Maybe it'll grow on me but right now...I'm not feeling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That office "rehab" needs a rehab.

Blog Entries

Feels like modernized/contemporized mid-century modern, if that's such a thing. I like contemporary modern. And I like some mid-century modern. This particular blend is just awkward. But it's not done, and I'll reserve judgement for after completion.

It’s a huge middle finger to his neighbor to the west. The fin extends out and blocks their balcony’s view of downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It’s a huge middle finger to his neighbor to the west. The fin extends out and blocks their balcony’s view of downtown.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but it's important to note that unless you control the neighboring land (or come to some sort of amicable agreement with your neighbors), your views can't be guaranteed - especially for a middle lot like this. It's not unlike the potential threats to views from Rand Elliott's Full Moon proposal in Midtown by neighboring developments.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree, but it's important to note that unless you control the neighboring land (or come to some sort of amicable agreement with your neighbors), your views can't be guaranteed - especially for a middle lot like this. It's not unlike the potential threats to views from Rand Elliott's Full Moon proposal in Midtown by neighboring developments.
    Well, it does protrude out further than the traditional building line for that street, so it's really an odd situation. But I agree with the "buy it to control it" philosophy; it's just a weird, unneeded architectural element that won't make your neighbors very happy.

Blog Entries

SoSA Re: SoSA District

Got to admit the more you look at the character housing designs in the SOSA district, the more you begin to like them--free fall or free for all. True neighborhood character with individual design, you're not quite sure what to think.

Reminds me of the opening of the old Myriad Convention Center, the men's restrooms had the large oval shaped hand washing sinks with the floor foot rails to secrete water--you didn't quite know the initial use (urinal or hand sink) unless you looked around--then you discovered hand washing wall sinks and wall urinals as well--added to the confusion.

It begs for conversation like some strange object left on your lawn. You don't know if it's a yard ornament, pretzel or an animal turd because nobody will take the challenge to kick it, pick it up or step in it--that's the thin line that separates art from personal opinion--every tear is not a tear of joy nor is every smile a smile of happiness, good day.

22. Default Re: SoSA District

Setback in SoSa essentially became an unenforceable issue after Fitzsimmons Architects’ Lovallo House design prevailed vs neighborhood protests. I’ve never heard whether it was the case or not, but I always wondered if the Lovallo design wasn’t inspired in part by the neighborhood nose-thumbing that Frank Lloyd Wright gave Chicago’s Hyde Park neighborhood when he designed Robie house to defy setback rules. I toured Robie house not long before the time of Lovallo’s construction and it really stuck with me during the Lovallo controversy.

Either way, I’m glad OKC has this interesting enclave that’s a neat little architectural lab, and even more glad that it’s not an actual enclave but public city streets in the heart of the community.

23. Default Re: SoSA District

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Setback in SoSa essentially became an unenforceable issue after Fitzsimmons Architects’ Lovallo House design prevailed vs neighborhood protests. I’ve never heard whether it was the case or not, but I always wondered if the Lovallo design wasn’t inspired in part by the neighborhood nose-thumbing that Frank Lloyd Wright gave Chicago’s Hyde Park neighborhood when he designed Robie house to defy setback rules. I toured Robie house not long before the time of Lovallo’s construction and it really stuck with me during the Lovallo controversy...
    There was no “Lovallo controversy.” Setbacks in SoSA are and have always been respected and enforced. There were no “neighborhood” protests… there was a lone protestor, who protested almost EVERY design regardless of merit, for reasons still unknown. (The lone protest was deemed to be unfounded by all authorities.)

Sounds like you’ve got an architectural chip on your shoulder. Or penchant for revising history…

24. Default Re: SoSA District

^^^^^^^
    Sounds like you’re just spoiling for a fight. I love Lovallo House.

By the way, there absolutely WAS a controversy. It was covered extensively in the media and included very heated public meetings. And I would deem a protest coming from the people across the street a “neighborhood protest.” Not sure what else it should be called.

For the record I’m glad Lovallo house prevailed and happy to see the architectural changes in the district. I said so much in my post. Perhaps you have chip on YOUR shoulder?

Dr. Bill's house is transcendent. It really is the piece that pivoted the neighborhood to something better. I think he really was hurt by the visceral discord about his home. Having worked in many of the homes in SOSA, that house has a special place in my heart. He set a standard for all to follow. It may be Fitzsimmons best residential work.

Thread Information