Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: SoSA District

Default Re: SoSA District

After seeing the Sinatra/Patsy/Moby ballet this weekend, we drove around there after eating at Fassler Hall. It'd be so awesome to buy one of these (Atomic Ranch is one of my favorite magazines), but are they all already sold/built for someone already, are some built for spec, anybody know the average price? We'll have to start doing research, but I suspect they'll be priced out of our range, just wondering if anybody knew quickie facts off the top of their head?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    After seeing the Sinatra/Patsy/Moby ballet this weekend, we drove around there after eating at Fassler Hall. It'd be so awesome to buy one of these (Atomic Ranch is one of my favorite magazines), but are they all already sold/built for someone already, are some built for spec, anybody know the average price? We'll have to start doing research, but I suspect they'll be priced out of our range, just wondering if anybody knew quickie facts off the top of their head?
    House on 8th just west of Shartel is $550k....1950 feet. House under construction on 8th near Classen is $695k for about 2650 feet (approx on both). Half of the duplex on 8th near Shartel is $400k or $450k (i forget). Lisbon Lofts were in the $270 a foot range.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    House on 8th just west of Shartel is $550k....1950 feet. House under construction on 8th near Classen is $695k for about 2650 feet (approx on both). Half of the duplex on 8th near Shartel is $400k or $450k (i forget). Lisbon Lofts were in the $270 a foot range.
    Ouch, thanks, yep, too much for us, probably gonna go back to looking in our original area (Belle Isle-ish).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Ouch, thanks, yep, too much for us, probably gonna go back to looking in our original area (Belle Isle-ish).
    That is a nice area! And that was truly off the top of my head so may be some other options of which i am not aware.

I've not heard it used outside of this site, so just curious, does "SOSA" get used in the real estate circles, architect circles, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    That is a nice area! And that was truly off the top of my head so may be some other options of which i am not aware.
    Every so often I'd search either 73106/73103 on those real estate for sale sites, and outside of a vacant lot listed for 65K a couple years ago, i want to say there have been a couple spec houses have showed up in the 200+/sq.ft range. Most recently it was more like 600K for 2400 sq.ft. type range. Somewhere in that range is what I remember. Its good those lots are getting gobbled up.

7. Default Re: SoSA District

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    I've not heard it used outside of this site, so just curious, does "SOSA" get used in the real estate circles, architect circles, etc.?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoSA,_Oklahoma_City

8. Default Re: SoSA District

^^^^^^
    Are you going to disclose that you are the creator of that Wikipedia entry and essentially the only contributor? And - if I recall correctly - that it is an acronym that was coined by you and certainly advocated by you in your blog a number of years ago? Merely throwing that Wikipedia link up there with no explanation seems intended to give credibility to a name that not everyone agrees on. I could just as easily go create a Wikipedia entry that calls the neighborhood OompaLoompaTown.

The City of OKC link referenced within still refers to it as the Cottage District, and I believe that even within the neighborhood there are differing opinions as to what it should be called. No disrespect, but I think there should be a naming process that includes the voices of others.

9. Default Re: SoSA District

Hereby disclosed! Guilty. I actually like OompaLompaTown better… really has a nice ring! You should get started on the Wikipedia definition.

I agree with you 100% that there should be a naming process, though it’s very difficult to get “everyone” to agree on something. I suppose there are even those who want to keep it the Cottage District? Maybe someone needs to organize the community!

Default Re: SoSA District Update

Whatever one wishes to call the area in general, the new cottages are certainly a lot more interesting.

This last week I've talked to several home and property owners in this area and they all call it SoSA.

Official or not, that name has taken hold.

12. Default Re: SoSA District

There are some who aren't fans. I think right now it is "for lack of a better term", which shouldn't be the standard. I don't think anyone is championing Cottage District.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This last week I've talked to several home and property owners in this area and they all call it SoSA.

Official or not, that name has taken hold.
    Agree with Pete - realtors all put that in their listings. Not sure how many people who are not focused on downtown housing know but most who are use that as the name.

For a lot of reasons, this area doesn't need an official name.

I like the name! Sounds urban. Lots of cool, contemporary housing being developed! Different for OKC, a good change for diversity!

SoSA is what it is. You could make the Cottage District argument, but the architects who had a vision for this area really just went out and achieved their vision. SoSA is an incredibly underrated story, but it's also not done and needs to mature into something that successfully meshes historic and modern. Until then it won't really blend with downtown, and nobody will know it exists.

It needs to "reach out" and mature into a comfortable environment not characterized by: vacant lots, construction, empty roads, scraggly tree, more construction, a one-off historic remodel, invincible weeds, a single street of new mod houses, tumble weeds, a lot more construction, and broken glass. Granted all that construction is awesome stuff, it's just not hospitable yet.

SoSA, like C2S, are great names. Every city wants something like LoDo or DUMBO etc but doesn't realize those have to evolve organically. I feel like this has, and as for C2S, different branding story, but it works.

17. Default Re: SoSA District

Hardly an organic evolution. And the fact remains that it is in no way official, settled, or even agreed upon by all of the residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It needs to "reach out" and mature into a comfortable environment not characterized by: vacant lots, construction, empty roads, scraggly tree, more construction, a one-off historic remodel, invincible weeds, a single street of new mod houses, tumble weeds, a lot more construction, and broken glass. Granted all that construction is awesome stuff, it's just not hospitable yet.
    This.

I have always looked at SoSA as western Midtown anyways moreso than its own distinct district, and many of the problems plaguing SoSA at the moment plague the greater Midtown neighborhood. The entire area needs 5-10 years to really develop and mature. It's important that good decisions are made because this area has the most potential for greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Hardly an organic evolution. And the fact remains that it is in no way official, settled, or even agreed upon by all of the residents.
    It evolved out of the neighborhood people themselves, unless you don't consider architects as people which well that is debatable :P. The reality about SoSA is that they have sold the SoSA vision to the point that it's now maybe half-way complete, and while certainly there are only so many local architects that can buy homes for themselves, now what seems to be happening is the architects are recruiting others. It seems to be working, as evidenced by Steve Mason, Bill Bleakley, Mike Morgan, and many other prominent locals...

I don't know how much more organic it could be. "Branding" and "organic" are like polar opposites, which I'm admittedly guilty of mixing up.

20. Default Re: SoSA District

You don't have any clue what I find to be legitimate, so I will thank you not to speak for me. I am saying there are actual RESIDENTS OF THE DISTRICT who are not sold on the brand, which was mostly just pushed by a single individual and which merely filled a void because there was no other name being used. Stop presuming to speak for others, Spartan. It is seriously off-putting.

Whatever happened to Dewey Decimal District? That's a brand I could get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    You don't have any clue what I find to be legitimate, so I will thank you not to speak for me. I am saying there are actual RESIDENTS OF THE DISTRICT who are not sold on the brand, which was mostly just pushed by a single individual and which merely filled a void because there was no other name being used. Stop presuming to speak for others, Spartan. It is seriously off-putting.
    You're talking about Randy Floyd, who took her concerns to the public as she objected to the mod vision, and design review determined that modern infill was appropriate.

23. Default Re: SoSA District

Once again you are trying to speak for me and once again you are wrong. Randy is certainly documented as being against it, but there are a number of others who are against this particular name.

In all seriousness, what about something referencing the unique topography of the 'hood, like Hillside?

25. Default Re: SoSA District

Urbanized sounds like a Republican... against everything, and for nothing. If you don't like the Cottage District what DO you like? This is a good a time as any to start promoting!

I vote for OompaLompaTown!

Thread Information