Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: SoSA District

1. Default Re: SoSA District Update

SoSA happened organically. The surrounding dilapidation allowed experimentation… there was no HOA to complain about creative design. The people that built there weren’t intending to spur a creative district. They wanted an inexpensive place to build what they wanted, with a view of downtown.

Now it has folded into something else altogether. Lots go for $75,000 plus. The recently proposed dwellings could cost between $130-$200/sq.ft. to build… maybe more.

Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    meh
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Yeah I can certainly see the redundancy in the designs. At the same time, SoSA is pretty much the only platted area in OKC where you can build a modern style home. Your typical suburban HOA would flip as it deviates from the sort of French Country cookie cutter look that has dominated new neighborhoods in this area, and any historical intown neighborhood would balk and such a contrasting style (not to mention it would probably not pass any sort of HP committee that are over these areas).
    Eh. I'm not so sure about that. IIRC, there are few restrictions in the covenents of my neighborhood for example, and none that would stop someone from building anything like that in SoSa. Don't think a person would have near the challenges with the design review committee like some of those in Soso had either. But yeah, as time has passed that has become more the norm to load up neighborhoods with restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by dwellsokc View Post
    SoSA happened organically. The surrounding dilapidation allowed experimentation… there was no HOA to complain about creative design. The people that built there weren’t intending to spur a creative district. They wanted an inexpensive place to build what they wanted, with a view of downtown.

Now it has folded into something else altogether. Lots go for $75,000 plus. The recently proposed dwellings could cost between $130-$200/sq.ft. to build… maybe more.
    Good post.

I think time is an important factor, too.

But combined those things give a place a character of its own. Hopefully charming as opposed to macabre.

I am interested in how or even if something similar can occur in a new development.

As for cost I think there has to be some major change in how financing occurs. Maybe some combination of individual and collective equity arrangements but I haven't found much that is even being considered experimentally much less practical.

I was in Forest Park yesterday and was noticing relatively recent development, redevelopment and coincidentally, that it seemed like a ripe place for building similar non-traditional homes. Most homes are traditional style, but there are a couple of existing more "modern" attempts at something different in the mix, including an earth sheltered home and this one. (I have no idea what the restrictions are there.) South of NE 36th and close to I-35, very close-in though it still has that way out in the country feel.

Google streetview image:

Actually you are right. There are many modern style homes there. And while most are from the 50's-80's, I think new construction of them would be welcome.

My grandparents and 2 uncles live in Forest Park. Its a really nice and underrated area. And there is some infill going on. In fact, my uncle just sold a lot to a gentlemen from Norman to build a new home. As a side note, there's quite a bit of modern designs off of Lincoln and 42nd in the Woodland Park Neighborhood.

Most people would never find these area due to the pervasive East-o-phobia most people have in OKC. However, I feel much safer in these areas than in SoSA. Not that SoSA is unsafe, but there are still a few flophouses nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Actually you are right. There are many modern style homes there. And while most are from the 50's-80's, I think new construction of them would be welcome.

My grandparents and 2 uncles live in Forest Park. Its a really nice and underrated area. And there is some infill going on. In fact, my uncle just sold a lot to a gentlemen from Norman to build a new home. As a side note, there's quite a bit of modern designs off of Lincoln and 42nd in the Woodland Park Neighborhood.

Most people would never find these area due to the pervasive East-o-phobia most people have in OKC. However, I feel much safer in these areas than in SoSA. Not that SoSA is unsafe, but there are still a few flophouses nearby.
    I don't know anyone who lives there but I've liked Forest Park area for decades. While I've seen parts of it decline as the homes have gotten older, I was surprised and happy when I looked around it yesterday to see there has been a fair amount of rebuilding, some tear downs with new houses and some rehabs.

OKC development will move across that east line at some point in time. If I were buying real estate to hold, I would be looking close-in Northeast. BTW...if you've never been past the gates at Lake Aluma, it's another gem on the "wrong" side of I-35.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    I was in Forest Park yesterday and was noticing relatively recent development, redevelopment and coincidentally, that it seemed like a ripe place for building similar non-traditional homes. Most homes are traditional style, but there are a couple of existing more "modern" attempts at something different in the mix, including an earth sheltered home and this one. (I have no idea what the restrictions are there.) South of NE 36th and close to I-35, very close-in though it still has that way out in the country feel.

Google streetview image:

This is some good friends of mine home. They bought it the spring of 2004. It was part way dilapidated, the west end had serious termite issues. The history is that it was designed by a local architect , whose office is just to the right of the picture, which they now use for a garage. The original owner/designer passed several years earlier and they bought it for a dance from his son. They put the metal roof on, plus the south side has glass from the one end to the other......it's pretty cool. I actually painted the majority of the insides for them.

Small city! It looked to me like it had recently had a lot of work done on it and might be an interesting place! That doesn't show up so much in the Google winter photo.

we might need a Forest Park thread but maybe it's supposed to be a secret!?!

10. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    This. So much this.

These concepts are cool and I really like the modern ness of the builds. But the location is weak.
    I love the location. If I could find anything for rent in the area, I would move there. It is very close to my work.

Nice article in OKC.biz.

Say there are 18 projects under various stages of development:

okcBiz: News: Cottage care

I would totally build a house in SOSA if I weren't so happy with my current house. I think that property values will skyrocket once the downtown elementary school is completed. You're close to Midtown and downtown, the hill offers great views. I see no downside to this neighborhood.

Anyone know what the earth moving is at NE corner of 8th and Classen is? It appears they may be constructing another house on 8th and putting up a retaining wall. Also the 4 plex house on the NW corner 7th and Shartel burned down about a month ago.

A single family house is going in on 8th designed by Butzer Gardner.

Still waiting to hear the verdict on the 7th street fire. Probably arson by vagabond.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Anyone know what the earth moving is at NE corner of 8th and Classen is? It appears they may be constructing another house on 8th and putting up a retaining wall. Also the 4 plex house on the NW corner 7th and Shartel burned down about a month ago.

Also FYI Classen Glen HOA recently just passed an assessment to repaint the buildings a two-tone grey color scheme from the original white and pale blue that has since flaked. Some of the work has already started.ill try and post pics soon.

16. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Couple new ones(I think) in the urban design agenda...

SIRE Public Access

828 NW 8 and, perhaps more interesting because it looks to be a commercial reuse; 605 NW 6.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Couple new ones(I think) in the urban design agenda...

SIRE Public Access

828 NW 8 and, perhaps more interesting because it looks to be a commercial reuse; 605 NW 6.
    It looks like that agenda also includes taking the canopy off an old building in the plaza district, several buildings in the Asian district and along 23rd street. It looks like some changes are being proposed to the Guernsey restaurant behind Cuppies and Joe too.

18. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Nm
    Last edited by CuatrodeMayo; 07-24-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Off topic. Moved to correct thread

Does anyone know of any lots for sale in or around the SOSA area, nothing is currently on MLS. I am looking to purchase in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by MidCenturyModOKC View Post
    Does anyone know of any lots for sale in or around the SOSA area, nothing is currently on MLS. I am looking to purchase in the next few months.
    The last time I was there a lot to the west of Valir had a homemade for sale sign on it. Just drive around the area and look for signs, as I think a lot haven't been on the multilist.

21. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Best success I had was looking up the owners of vacant lots on the County Assessors Site and contacting the owner directly. A lot of the property in the area changes hands without it ever being publically listed for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by One Dot Less Than Nine View Post
    Best success I had was looking up the owners of vacant lots on the County Assessors Site and contacting the owner directly. A lot of the property in the area changes hands without it ever being publically listed for sale.
    This was the approach my wife and I took to find a lot in the area. You will receive several "no" and "not now" statements and even more people simply won't reply. The key is to be patient, build a friendly relationship with the owner, and wait. I don't think there are any screaming deals to be had on 7th or 8th street between Francis and Dewey at this point, but 9th street between Shartel and Classen offers a lot of opportunity.

Any info on the d.build home going up on the corner near Classen. Looks very cool. I'm so glad the design looks to be different from what is next door- I love the modern feel of SoSA but I hope it doesn't end up being cookie-cutter modern- same materials, general lines, etc. if the entire area looks like one architect did it- this area will fail to be notable

24. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by MidCenturyModOKC View Post
    Any info on the d.build home going up on the corner near Classen. Looks very cool. I'm so glad the design looks to be different from what is next door- I love the modern feel of SoSA but I hope it doesn't end up being cookie-cutter modern- same materials, general lines, etc. if the entire area looks like one architect did it- this area will fail to be notable
    Ouch! lol guess you cant please everyone.

The Dbuild project was designed by Butzer Gardner Architects...should be a cool project and a nice addition to the area.

SoSA Re: SoSA District Update

I re-read my previous post and it did not read the way that I had intended.

I love the house that is next door to the east of the house I was asking about - I think its fantastic and have even spent time admiring on the blog page that was created during its construction!

My point was to only say- I hope that architects who take on projects in SoSA continue to DESIGN and CREATE. It is a unique area and opportunity, I think each home needs to stand on its own with architectural integrity. If you just move a window and change one roofline and build your neighbors home again then you will go down the slippery slope of cookie-cutter…You can already start to point out which homes are done by the same architect. That should not be the case in my uninformed respectful opinion.
    Last edited by MidCenturyModOKC; 11-09-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: grammar

Thread Information