Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: SoSA District

1. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    ...Anyone know what an average lot goes for presently?
    $20-80k

Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Good grief guys I did not compare the place to Edmond in the sense you are making it out to be. I grew up in an urban neighborhood. Sosa, today at least, feels like anything but. Compared to virtually any other area in downtown undergoing redevelopment this area doesn't match up in the categories of available infrastructure, businesses, community, safety, or readily available housing. Not today.

I can understand the folks who have basically said they see this neighborhood headed to something greater than it currently is and are banking on that. Or someone who just likes the views and doesn't care. A lot of the rest of the stuff I've heard I think is just unrealistic. But that's a general problem I have with most of the discussions on this message board. Such as not agreeing that the area is dilapidated when, in fact, most of what is going on down there involves either the condemnation or private destruction of existing structures which are in disrepair. Literally the textbook definition of.

Honestly I regret I even bothered to ask what the draw to this place is. I haven't really heard anything I didn't already suspect and its just put you all in attack mode. Sorry if you thought I called your baby ugly.
    I think there's a lot more in SoSA than one might realize though. The Classen Glenn condos were the earlier pioneers. Then Randy Floyd did a great renovation on 7th Street I believe. The intersection of 7th/Francis was completely gentrified a few years ago, now the rough areas around it are all tear-downs for new housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I think there's a lot more in SoSA than one might realize though. The Classen Glenn condos were the earlier pioneers. Then Randy Floyd did a great renovation on 7th Street I believe. The intersection of 7th/Francis was completely gentrified a few years ago, now the rough areas around it are all tear-downs for new housing.
    Just want to chime in with my thoughts on the SoSA area
    I bought a lot on 7th St that had a blighted duplex that was torn down by the city before I purchased. I had a house built in late 2004 and lived there and worked downtown until I had to move to MO in 2009. I plan on using the house for my retirement in the future and have had no problems keeping it leased since 2009. I have owned homes on 40th St(Helm Farm), still own a home in Mesta Park and the SoSA house. The SoSA area has gotten better year by year and I find it to have the best of all things from Downtown/Dining/Entertainment within easy access. The SoSa neighborhood is the quietest and tranquil of the previous places I owned and occupied. I never had any problem walking the S0SA neighborhood at night but I can understand that some might have apprehension. I visit frequently and try to keep up on the goings on in the neighborhood with this blog and other sources. I think most in the area would agree that it is a great place to live and those that try to evaluate it without living there cant really understand. I would however like to see a grocery store in the area (The Browns Bakery looks alot like the Safeway Markets did when i was growing up in California).

Ken

I believe the Brown's Bakery location was a former Safeway that Brown's moved into when Safeway moved from that location to their new 18th & Classen location many, many years ago. I seem to recall Brown's being located elsewhere before the move to the current location, I just can't remember where.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I believe the Brown's Bakery location was a former Safeway that Brown's moved into when Safeway moved from that location to their new 18th & Classen location many, many years ago. I seem to recall Brown's being located elsewhere before the move to the current location, I just can't remember where.
    Those market buildings were probably very futuristic in the late 50's early 60's. They have a look that says Market.

thanks for the post

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Good grief guys I did not compare the place to Edmond in the sense you are making it out to be. I grew up in an urban neighborhood. Sosa, today at least, feels like anything but. Compared to virtually any other area in downtown undergoing redevelopment this area doesn't match up in the categories of available infrastructure, businesses, community, safety, or readily available housing. Not today.

I can understand the folks who have basically said they see this neighborhood headed to something greater than it currently is and are banking on that. Or someone who just likes the views and doesn't care. A lot of the rest of the stuff I've heard I think is just unrealistic. But that's a general problem I have with most of the discussions on this message board. Such as not agreeing that the area is dilapidated when, in fact, most of what is going on down there involves either the condemnation or private destruction of existing structures which are in disrepair. Literally the textbook definition of.

Honestly I regret I even bothered to ask what the draw to this place is. I haven't really heard anything I didn't already suspect and its just put you all in attack mode. Sorry if you thought I called your baby ugly.
    Questor

I do thank you for bringing this blog back to life

Ken

There used to be several in the OKC area, where Sprouts (formerly Sunflower) is located at NW 63rd & May was one of those before CompUSA moved in there. In fact Homeland had a store in there until the early 90's (I think) after they took over the former Safeway stores and facilities in Oklahoma. I see a few of that style building here in Denver and figure they were old Safeway stores, we also had one somewhat close to us in Austin that was a former Safeway store.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Closer toward Robinson I believe

Wasn't it at the Floral and Hardy location on Robinson? I remember going there years ago before I really had a geographical understanding of downtown so I'm not completely sure.

10. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Brown's Bakery was across the street north from Floral and Hardy. The building was demolished and is now a surface parking lot adjacent to and immediately west of the Garage Lofts.

11. Default Re: SoSA District Update

I just came across these plans for 819 and 829 NW 7, and don't remember seeing them yet, but I might just be out of the loop. Pretty incredible.

http://www.okc.gov/planning/planning...A-13-00011.pdf

http://www.okc.gov/planning/planning...A-13-00010.pdf

12. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    ...I might just be out of the loop. Pretty incredible.
    You're not out of the loop. These two projects are hot off the press. Two more on the same side of the street will be happening soon...

13. Default Re: SoSA District Update

These are incredibly cool. I can't wait to see them finished.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I love these houses. I kind of wish we could get more of them here on the east side. I love walking in neighborhoods with these houses peppered in. Keep up the great work!
    This. So much this.

These concepts are cool and I really like the modern ness of the builds. But the location is weak.

Here's some renderings and info from the first pdf:

Cobb Residence
    819 NW 7th Street

A. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
    1. Main Building
    a) Construct a new two-story, 2,545 square foot single-family
    residence using cast-in-place concrete walls with smooth HDO
    finish with rustication joints (at the first floor); eter-color (grey)
    cement board siding (second floor); clear, commercial-style, Low-E,
    insulated pane, storefront glass and sliding doors in aluminum
    frames; composite wood decking (at the second floor deck); and
    vertical and horizontal sunscreens made of galvanized steel bar
    grate.

2. Screening
    a) Install fences and gates using galvanized steel bar grate.

3. Miscellaneous Site improvements
    a) Construct a new concrete stairway with composite wood treads and
    a steel tube grab bar.

B. BACKGROUND
    1. Location
    The project site is located on the north side of NW 7th St between N
    Francis and N Shartel.
    The site is located in the DTD-1 zoning district and is subject to the
    applicable provisions of the Downtown Design District zoning ordinance
    rather than the Urban Design Overlay District.

2. Site History
    The existing house was originally constructed in 1905 and remodeled in

3. Existing Conditions
    The existing house is currently vacant.

4. Surrounding Environment
    The house is primarily surrounded by a mix of contemporary and older
    single-family residences.

By all means, Im a fan of these homes, especially the one in the first link of wsucougz post, the one with the pool that will have awesome views of downtown.

However, the moderness of these homes is beginnnig to look a little homogeneous. The same concrete and steel plated squared designs is getting a little played out. I guess thats what happens when the same architect designs them. Maybe some different materials would be nice.

17. Default Re: SoSA District Update

These homes are amazing. I can't wait to see SoSa/Cottage District continue to develop this way.

Also - they've secured $500,000 for alleyway improvements in the area from City Council. This should boost the property values beyond their already staggering increases from the residential developments alone.

http://www.okc.gov/agendapub/cache/2...3121917954.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    This. So much this.

These concepts are cool and I really like the modern ness of the builds. But the location is weak.
    Yeah, I love these projects and would love to buy in, but every time I actually go there, my interest wanes. It feels less connected to MT and DT than it should and needs several more of these projects to be completed before it doesn't feel spotty anymore. Drop these things on Oklahoma between 6th and 10th and I'd be in.

19. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    By all means, Im a fan of these homes, especially the one in the first link of wsucougz post, the one with the pool that will have awesome views of downtown.

However, the moderness of these homes is beginnnig to look a little homogeneous. The same concrete and steel plated squared designs is getting a little played out. I guess thats what happens when the same architect designs them. Maybe some different materials would be nice.
    I agree on the homogeneous part. I really like the intermingling of the modern and the historical. However, when I suggested as much when I was City staff, the architects in the area roundly shot me down.

Yeah I can certainly see the redundancy in the designs. At the same time, SoSA is pretty much the only platted area in OKC where you can build a modern style home. Your typical suburban HOA would flip as it deviates from the sort of French Country cookie cutter look that has dominated new neighborhoods in this area, and any historical intown neighborhood would balk and such a contrasting style (not to mention it would probably not pass any sort of HP committee that are over these areas).

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Yeah I can certainly see the redundancy in the designs. At the same time, SoSA is pretty much the only platted area in OKC where you can build a modern style home. Your typical suburban HOA would flip as it deviates from the sort of French Country cookie cutter look that has dominated new neighborhoods in this area, and any historical intown neighborhood would balk and such a contrasting style (not to mention it would probably not pass any sort of HP committee that are over these areas).
    That is true. Mesta Park has one cool house at 21st and Olie, I believe, that got in somehow. Also, there's a modern house at 30th & Harvey in the Edgemere HP. It was contested, but ended up being built. Personally, I don't like it all.

The beauty of the Cottage District is that it's a mixture and allows for creative work. Unfortunately, most people think you have to tear down and build new to create something good. Good can come from old or new.

There is a modern home in Crestwood on Villa between 17th and 18th. It's not as flashy as the SoSA homes, but it does show how modern homes can blend with those that are touching 90 years.

24. Default Re: SoSA District Update

meh
    Last edited by wsucougz; 05-02-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: meh

Any idea on how much houses like these cost to build?

Thread Information