Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Pizza?

Default Best Pizza?

Seems like these "best" food topics are popular with lots of good input.

How about the best pizza in the Metro?

I used to love Pizza Planet and Godfathers -- and both were in walking distance of where I grew up near 63rd & Meridian.

What are your current favorites?

Default Re: Best Pizza?

The best pizza I've had in the metro area was from Oma's Pantry (now Ingrid's Pantry). It was a personal size pizza on their own artisan crust, with walnut oil for sauce, proscuitto, spinach, caramelized onions, chopped dates and manchego cheese. It was amazing.

As for best "regular" pizza - Hideaway Paradise Pie - substitute canadian bacon for the chicken. You can create a pretty decent paradise pie knockoff at Domino's by doing the same thing with their chicken alfredo pizza.

I used to love Sammys pizza...the one that comes to mind was about 70th and north western godfathers was good as well. Shotgun Sams was also very very good. As far as present id go with italian jims,papa angelos or italianos. Also cant go wrong with hideaway.

The absolute best for me would have to be The Wedge.

As far as more "normal" pizza, Italia Express in the once-thriving shopping center up at 122nd and MacArthur.

Delivery I gotta go with Papa Johns

Dine in I say Hideaway but they are helped out by their awesome fried mushrooms and great side salads

For the out of the norm style/toppings ... Hideaway and Wedge, no real preference between the two.
    For everyday really good traditional pizza .. JJ's in Norman, hand's down.

I did my time in younger years with homemade, Pizza Hut in a couple of states, Godfather's, Mazzio's, even a very brief stint at a Ken's outlet once upon a time, but a JJ's pizza, as is, has been the only pizza I dinna feel I could significantly improve by additional tinkering. It's just that good.

depending on what i'm in the mood for, i like: hideaway, falcone's, wedge, humble pie and upper crust.

back in the early 90's there was a small pizza shop on sw 104th and santa fe called toto's... they were great. i'm not sure if they were affiliated with the toto's in norman.

-M

8. Default Re: Best Pizza?

So many great pizza options and varieties it's tough to make a broad claim. But there's one specific type where I have a clear favorite. Humble Pie Pizzeria is easily the best Chicago-style pizza in town. I've not had their other pizza types but the Chicago style is very authentic and very good.

I had so many people tell me how great it was for over a year and finally got to try it recently. What can I say, the crowds were correct.

http://www.humblepieok.com/

is there anywhere else besides humble pie that even serves chicago style here in the metro? -M

10. Default Re: Best Pizza?

Not many. There's Sophabella's. Used to be that Windy City place in Bricktown but it's gone. Can't think of any others off hand.

So, maybe "best Chicago-style pizza in town" isn't really saying much. But regardless of the competition (or lack thereof), Humble Pie's version is quite notable, IMO.

hobbies houges has great pizza

This thread has a chance to be the most active in OKCtalk history...

13. Default Re: Best Pizza?

What's the place in Bethany everyone loves? I still haven't been there.

Quote Originally Posted by okcmallen
    what's the place in bethany everyone loves?
    papa angelo's... i've been meaning to try it out. -M

15. Default Re: Best Pizza?

Yes, Papa Angelo's is good. One of the better New York styles in town. Very thin crust. Best with just cheese or maybe one topping IMO.

16. Default Re: Best Pizza?

My vote goes to Hobbies Hoagies downtown or The Wedge in Deep Deuce.

Hoping to try the new Sauced and Upper Crust soon.

17. Default Re: Best Pizza?

Quote Originally Posted by eataroundokc.com View Post
    Yes, Papa Angelo's is good. One of the better New York styles in town. Very thin crust. Best with just cheese or maybe one topping IMO.
    Duly noted.

Pete, I think there is at least one old thread on this, nonetheless here we go:

Papa Angelos
    Humble Pie
    Wedge
    Sophabellas
    Famous Jo's

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Pete, I think there is at least one old thread on this...
    That's pretty rich playing thread police with the owner of the site...

As far as pizza, Hideaway (dine in) and Papa John's (delivery) are my two most frequented options. I like Falcone's. I still have Papa Angelos on my "to try" list, but seldom in that area of town.

Quote Originally Posted by eataroundokc.com View Post
    Not many. There's Sophabella's. Used to be that Windy City place in Bricktown but it's gone. Can't think of any others off hand.

So, maybe "best Chicago-style pizza in town" isn't really saying much. But regardless of the competition (or lack thereof), Humble Pie's version is quite notable, IMO.
    We've eaten many deep dish pizzas from many places in the Chicago area and Humble Pie makes an effort, but they need to triple the amount of toppings they put on - their crust is pretty good, but there's just not enough stuff for it to be *real* Chicago-style deep dish pizza, disappointing, IMO. Just mail-order some Lou Malnati's frozen pizza, follow the directions exactly (includes wiping out the foil pan it comes in so there's no moisture to make the crust soggy) when you bake it at home, and you'll have the best Chicago-style deep dish pizza and it's actually *from* Chicago.

21. Default Re: Best Pizza?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    We've eaten many deep dish pizzas from many places in the Chicago area and Humble Pie makes an effort, but they need to triple the amount of toppings they put on - their crust is pretty good, but there's just not enough stuff for it to be *real* Chicago-style deep dish pizza, disappointing, IMO. Just mail-order some Lou Malnati's frozen pizza, follow the directions exactly (includes wiping out the foil pan it comes in so there's no moisture to make the crust soggy) when you bake it at home, and you'll have the best Chicago-style deep dish pizza and it's actually *from* Chicago.
    I would agree that they could use more toppings, but I don't think it needs that much more. I didn't find it that far off. Certainly pizzas in Chicago are going to be more authentically Chicago-style, but I'm just saying I was happy to find Humble Pie actually getting really close here in the city. Their crust is, IMO, very very close to what I've had at Lou Malnati's and Gino's East.

Incidentally, I have actually mail ordered a Lou Malnati's pizza before. My wife and I enjoyed that place when we were in Chicago so we ordered one for our anniversary once. It does turn out pretty good but, of course, it's really expensive given the cost of overnight shipping plus the pizza itself.

My favorite pizza places change depending on where I have been lately. Over the years, I have consistently liked Nomad, Pizza House, and Meiki's. I used to love Nicolosi's pizza and have not had any like it since they closed. I like Jo's, the Wedge, Upper Crust, Sophabella, Hideaway, Papa Angleo's and numerous others. I always liked Pizza Inn and Pizza Hut's thin crust sausage or hamburger pizza but Pizza Hut changed their pork topping a few years ago from small pieces of sausage that covered the whole pizza to larger chunks that leave gaps between them. Larry Doskicil is a Southern Nazarene University graduate that made millions from a pizza toppings machine he invented back in the 60's after he got Pizza Hut to buy his toppings and use his machines. My Pi was another of my favorites from the past that did Chicago deep dish better than any of the current OKC places because of the ingredients they used. I loved the sausage, the sauce, and the cheese they used on their pizzas as well as the salads with anchovies. I love pizza and can talk about it a lot. That may be why I am "Bigray".

Bigray in Ok

23. Default Re: Best Pizza?

I am tied for my favorite pizza. Famous Jo's Pizza is hard to beat, but there used to be a place in Jones Ok. called J-Town Pizza. They had to die for pizza. Sadly they closed, but I sure wish they would find another location and reopen.

Nothing beats The Boz from The Hideaway! YUM!

Where is Famous Jo's?

Thread Information