[template=]
    development
    |category1=Housing
    |category2=Classen
    |category3=
    |category4=
    |
    |project=18th Street Studios
    |address=1214 NW. 18th Street (between Classen Blvd. and Ellison Ave.)
    |status=complete
    |owner=David Bardwell
    |cost=$12,588,000
    |architect=
    |start=
    |finish=
    |contractor=
    |height=3 stories, 30 ft.
    |sq. feet=17,000 sf.
    |acerage=
    |other=12 units in new building, 8 units in renovated historic rowhouse, planned future addition
    |
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

Links

Website
    Downtown Housing Summary
    Urban Project Summary
    County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18streetstudios2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	4054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18streetstudios3.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	4055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18streetstudios4.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	4056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18streetstudios5.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	4057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18streetstudios6.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	4058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18streetstudios7.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	4059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18thstreet1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	5599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18thstreet2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	5600  

Last edited by Pete; 06-13-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Default Re: 18th & Classen: New Apartments

The two multi-unit places just left of where you highlighted burned down last year, perhaps this is the replacement we've been hearing about but your location is off slightly?

$12.5 million?

Wow

I spoke of this a month or so ago. The developer owns the building next door. I looked into moving in that building but did not want to be living next door to construction for the next year. I saw the plans and the buildign will have a modern type of look. If I remember right, there will be 24 units with private balconies for some.

The two apartment buildings to the left of the parking lot burned last year.

I believe Brian Fitzsimmons is the architect for the new apartments.

The same company owns all four parcels between the office building on Classen & Ellison.

I've changed the aerial to reflect all their holdings.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The two multi-unit places just left of where you highlighted burned downcast year, perhaps this is the replacement we've been hearing about but your location is off slightly?
    Metro, Pete's highlighted section is spot on. The buildings to the left are no longer there of the yellow are no longer there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The same company owns all four parcels between the office building on Classen & Ellison.

I've changed the aerial to reflect all their holdings.
    That makes more sense.

Those properties are owned by David Bardwell -- lives in Oak Tree.

Very good sign this this project can get the financing to go forward.

Even though money is still tight, there are clear signs that we've turned a corner.

Here is a rough site plan. They plan to renovate the older apartment building on the east end of the property.

Fitzsimmons is indeed the architect. The rendering is meant to show the approximate size; exact design was not included in their submission to the planning commission.

Last edited by Pete; 05-22-2011 at 10:04 AM.

That's a $12,5M project? It looks like something you'd see in suburban Stockholm. Still seems like a good project. So a few buildings that weren't burned down are going to also come down for this project? Hmmm, or were all 4 lots damaged by that fire?

Of the four lots (east to west):

1. Existing, occupied apartment building to be renovated
    2. Empty lot currently used for parking.
    3. Apartment building similar to lot #1 burned down completely
    4. Apartment building similar to lot #1 burned beyond saving and presently vacant

From what was submitted to the planning commission it looks like they are planning to use plenty of external steel elements. Since Fitzsimmons is the architect, you know it will be modern and slick.

I just drove by and took pics:

Community Center facing Classen (left) and building to be remodeled (right)

Apartment site looking east, building to be remodeled in background

15. Default Re: 18th & Classen: New Apartments

Beat me to it. Spartan, no additional structures that weren't damaged by the fire are coming down. The new apartments will encompass the empty parking lot west to where the two apartment buildings had burnt down. It's good infill that is denser than the development that was previously there, or lack-of in case of the parking lot.

Thanks metro! Looks like the on building on lot #4 has already been demolished.

I hope we see more of these type of projects in the future. If this one does well, it will sure help others get financing.

17. Default Re: 18th & Classen: New Apartments

Pete, I love the way you do the aerials and do the shading/highlighting on so many projects. It really puts things right in my head. I'm sometimes challenged by trying to picture some of these things in my mind and your maps and shading really puts it in perspective. Thank you!

That old apartment building that will be remodeled is one great looking urban space. Sounds like a great project.

As they say Mike, a picture is worth a thousand words. I know I am very much a visual person and once I get a clear image of where something is and what it looks like, it's far easier to keep things straight. I'm sure most others are the same.

As far as the cost of this project: 1) it can be expensive to renovate old buildings and 2) this looks to be a very nice project. Kudos to the developer for not cheaping out.

As far as the cost of this project: 1) it can be expensive to renovate old buildings and 2) this looks to be a very nice project. Kudos to the developer for not cheaping out.
    No kidding. I liked the reaction of J. Pitman (a developer who has built top-notch stuff as well in the past) to the price tag.

The building that is currently there has already been remolded. (They are still going to do more work as far as covered parking and what not on the South side) I looked at a unit back in January. They look nice. A good blend of keeping the old (IE curved entry ways in hall, kept some built ins, still have the drop down ironing board and built in shelf for the phone) with the new, stainless appliances and granite. I liked the place, and if it werent for having to live next to the construction I would have moved in. As stated previously, I saw the plans for the new units. Will have a modern box type shape (I dont know why reminded me of a container store rendering someone posted in the Classen Curve thread back in the day). Units will have nice privacy with most having private balconies from what I remember. All and all I think it will be a great project for the area and more projects like these are needed.

Where did the renderings go for this project?

22. Default Re: 18th & Classen: New Apartments

Well, this is just great, I'd totally missed this thread. This will greatly improve the overall environment of/for the Classen School of Advanced Studies and the general area along Classen. Homeland (one that could be improved) is just down the street and it's just a jump to downtown. Very good news.

Apartments in works for Classen, 18th in OKC
    By Brianna Bailey
    Journal Record
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
    Posted: 06:35 PM Monday, June 13, 2011

OKLAHOMA CITY – Plans for a modern-looking, three-story apartment development featuring loftlike open floor plans and floor-to-ceiling windows are in the works for NW 18th Street and N. Classen Boulevard.

Preliminary designs for the 12-unit development called the 18th Street Studios feature movable wall panels and other modular elements that can be shifted to create different floor plans within each apartment.

“It doesn’t have to be static, you can change it whenever you want,” said Larry Pickering of Fitzsimmons Architects, who designed the development with partner Brian Fitzsimmons.

Preliminary renderings for the exterior of the roughly 16,500-square-foot development show a checkerboardlike pattern of brick and glass panels. The one- and two-bedroom units feature large enclosed balconies that range in size from 200 square feet to
    275 square feet, some with views of the downtown skyline.

Fitzsimmons hopes the project will be a catalyst for further development in the area.

“It’s a small infill project, but hopefully it spurs other things to happen in that area,” he said.

Father and son David and Morgan Bardwell of Edmond are developing the 18th Street project.

The Bardwells purchased a row of historic brick apartment buildings at 18th and Classen in October 2009 for $300,000 with plans to renovate them. Two of the buildings had been stripped down to the studs in preparations for renovation work when a fire ripped through the complex just a month after they purchased the property.

The buildings were unsalvageable after the fire and the land was rezoned for higher-density multifamily housing in preparation for the 18th Street Studios.

The surviving eight-unit apartment building, a blonde brick two-story building at 1210 NW 18th St., was renovated last year and has proven popular with renters. The two-story apartment building was constructed in 1925.

“It took less than 60 days to completely fill up,” Morgan Bardwell said.

David Bardwell sees potential in the area because of its close proximity downtown, just minutes away from the corporate headquarters of energy companies such as Devon Energy, SandRidge Energy and Continental Resources, which is in the process of relocating to Oklahoma City.

“We thought it was centrally located without the issues of grocery shopping and parking you might encounter downtown,” he said.

The Bardwells would not disclose the cost of construction for the 18th Street development, but a building permit for the site issued in May puts the cost of the project at $1.25 million.

Construction on the 18th Street Studios is expected to be completed by the middle of 2012, Morgan Bardwell said.

If the development is successful, then additional apartment units could later be added to the site.

We were all wondering how this project could cost $12.5 million; looks like the original building permit was a typo because as reported in this article, it was actually $1.25 million which makes much more sense.

Sounds like a great project and I bet it will be a big hit.

25. Default Re: 18th & Classen: 18th Street Studios (apartments)

If they can pull that off for $75 per sf, I'll be impressed...

Thread Information