Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 18th Street Studios

Default Re: 18th & Classen: 18th Street Studios (apartments)

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Or maybe you don't live a life worrying about it and nothing happens. Locked doors don't make as big of a difference as you might think. If a criminal is planning on breaking in your house they usually have a plan to get past a locked door.
    Agreed, but if they try when you're at home it can give you a cushion of time to call 911. Witness the Oklahoma girl who recently killed the intruder who broke into her rural home and called 911. If her door had not been locked, the intruders would have been in and on her before she could have done anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Agreed, but if they try when you're at home it can give you a cushion of time to call 911. Witness the Oklahoma girl who recently killed the intruder who broke into her rural home and called 911. If her door had not been locked, the intruders would have been in and on her before she could have done anything.
    An extremely rare situation to change your life for. I'm not saying you shouldn't lock your door all the time. I just don't think it's as big of a deal as perceived so its not a big deal if others don't. I don't know a single person that's ever had someone just try to open their door when they were at home during the day...

3. Default Re: 18th & Classen: 18th Street Studios (apartments)

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    ...I sometimes wonder if the people who prefer the suburbs and cookie cutter homes aren't more often than not those who grew up in dead small towns or older areas of cities and now want a new living experience that they never had as a kid. Conversely, I wonder if those who are attracted to inner city areas are generally people who lived the suburgatory lifestyle where everything is bland and they now crave authenticity and diversity. My point is that I'm interested in the psychological/sociological factors that influence one's living arrangement. I believe there is almost as much correlation between those factors and where one lives as there is between economic/racial factors and where one lives.
    The authenticity and diversity of inner city living is something that’s discovered afterwards, not craved beforehand… the blandness of suburban life is not recognized until the authenticity of the inner city is experienced.

Those who are attracted to inner city areas might simply want to be closer to the action… or might just want to have a view of something other than stockade fences and cookie-cutter homes.

I believe that the vast majority of suburban dwellers are locked into a paradigm that doesn't allow alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Unfortunately people have misguided views about downtown. On New Year's me and my girlfriend went downtown to see the fireworks and ball drop
    (rise?). Parking was tight all around so I parked by a building in Film Row....literally two blocks from the Myriad Gardens. She thought we were in the hood and we would get attacked, and demanded we try and find somewhere else to park...so we ended up driving around watching the fireworks....

Lame....
    Perhaps misinformed instead of lame. Edumacate her. I suspect it's never crossed her mind where risk is highest for her. Between your spot on film row at night on NYE and where she typically parks to go shopping at,oh, any mall in the greater metro, FR would be safer in my opinion. She might not like the notion, but she likely stands a higher risk of being attacked walking to her car with a package or two and purse loosely hanging from her shoulder than she would walking with her guy on NYE from FR across the MBG to go join the masses in celebration.

Blog Entries

Generally though, it is safer with more people around and brighter lighting, no matter what neighborhood. Single women need to be aware of their surroundings and act accordingly. We would be doing them a disservice by telling them to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by dwellsokc View Post
    I believe that the vast majority of suburban dwellers are locked into a paradigm that doesn't allow alternatives.
    Good point. It's interesting to see how that has been ingrained in such a relatively short period of 50 years or so, and to study what informs that paradigm.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Conversely, I wonder if those who are attracted to inner city areas are generally people who lived the suburgatory lifestyle where everything is bland and they now crave authenticity and diversity.
    How dare you stereotype me so accurately...

I grew up in Edmond, and have no desire to ever live in the suburbs again.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisJ View Post
    How dare you stereotype me so accurately...

I grew up in Edmond, and have no desire to ever live in the suburbs again.
    Lol. For me it was certainly living in depressing small towns, which interestingly enough led me to be attracted to the new subdivisions when I first came to the city. I always felt there was something more though and then it dawned on me how my whole childhood, when I thought of a city, I thought of the subdivisions of Plano, Norman, Edmond, heck even Amarillo. For those were where the malls and shopping of the "big city" were; subdivisions are what informed my ideas of urbanity, how sad.

9. Default Re: 18th & Classen: 18th Street Studios (apartments)

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Unfortunately people have misguided views about downtown. On New Year's me and my girlfriend went downtown to see the fireworks and ball drop
    (rise?). Parking was tight all around so I parked by a building in Film Row....literally two blocks from the Myriad Gardens. She thought we were in the hood and we would get attacked, and demanded we try and find somewhere else to park...so we ended up driving around watching the fireworks....

Lame....
    The Retro Metro Okc monthly meeting last night was at the IAO Gallery, 706 W Sheridan Avenue, along Film Row ( a great facility, by the way). After the meeting several of us went next door to have pizza a Joeys (good pizza) and during that time I went outside 2-3 times for smoke breaks, probably half an hour collectively. Never had a concern or worry about safety, even though street lights are not yet present from Project 180. Almost no pedestrian traffic was observed ... one guy riding a skateboard on the street and another walking along a sidewalk and minding his own business. Left Joey's around 9:30 and felt completely safe and secure.

An extremely rare situation to change your life for. I'm not saying you shouldn't lock your door all the time. I just don't think it's as big of a deal as perceived so its not a big deal if others don't. I don't know a single person that's ever had someone just try to open their door when they were at home during the day...
    Maybe not so rare. This might cause some to think they should keep their doors locked when at home. Locking a door doesn't mean you're changing your life. It just means you're recognizing that there are bad people on this earth and things happen.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...-nonexplosive/

Maybe not so rare. This might cause some to think they should keep their doors locked when at home. Locking a door doesn't mean you're changing your life. It just means you're recognizing that there are bad people on this earth and things happen.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...-nonexplosive/
    Again, one anecdotal case from a different state. This doesn't prove a thing. Would this have been prevented with a locked door? There's no evidence to suggest.

Okay, let me tell you why I felt unsafe. I attended school at Classen SAS in the 90s for middle school and graduated high school in 2004. I am also a skinny, petite female. Since there isn't a parking lot large enough for students, staff, and faculty, I once parked a couple of blocks North of the school. This is where all of the bigger historic houses are. That day I also arrived pretty late, around 9:20 AM. So as I'm on the sidewalk and walking to the school, these two men are coming at me with a knife from the sidewalk on the other side of the street (the east sidewalk). I RUN back to my car, get in, lock the doors, and decide to park in a grassy field closer to the school. I've also had my car broken into while I was at school. I had my radio stolen. Just petty theft, but still...a hassle to get my window replaced.

I continue to volunteer at a clinic in the Epworth Church adjacent to Classen SAS. Like I said earlier, I definitely don't feel safe. It's not an area I would feel safe jogging or walking around.

I grew up living in the area right behind OCU between around 29th Penn and Classen. I attended Oklahoma City Public Schools from elementary to high school. Not a suburbanite...but I am living in Norman now. went to college at OU and just stayed here.

Then YOU should lock the door. I'm sorry that happened to you and if it makes you feel better than lock your door all the time. It's not like I'm saying people shouldn't lock their doors. I lock mine at night, but that's about it. Throughout this discussion I've said you can lock the door, but that everyone should not feel the need to do so.

Here is a home invasion in 2010 in the Plaza District where the homeowner was at home and had to hide in her closet. http://www.koco.com/news/24742214/detail.html

It happens more often than you'd think. At my parents house in what's considered the inner city, this guy came into their house because my mom left the door unlocked while she was gardening.

Again, these are all anecdotal stories... I'll be more convinced when I see some larger studies, statistics. I could post stories of rare occurrences that happen to 1 in 1,000 people all day because there are over 300 million people in this country and almost 4 million in this state. If I started posting gruesome drunk driving stories I could make you rethink ever driving, but what are the actual risks? I still believe they are very low.

Kilgore, people buy insurance for various things as a precaution. I"ve always had homeowner's insurance which would protect me in case of a fire. The house is paid for so it's not a loan company requirement. I've never had a fire but there are "anecdotal stories" about other people who do so I think I'll continue to keep my insurance just in case. If you want to leave your doors unlocked or wide open be my guest. You may never ever have a problem but advising other people to leave doors unlocked isn't wise.

but advising other people to leave doors unlocked isn't wise.
    I have not advised people to leave their doors unlocked once in this thread. In fact, I've repeatedly said to do whatever you're most comfortable with. This started with the exact opposite - people were saying you have to lock your door and I disputed that. One final time on the record, do whatever you're comfortable with concerning your own door-locking habits. Lol.

ok... let's steer this back to topic. -M

I took pics yesterday and will post them later today.

This thread delivers.

The pics are in my photos thread, took too many to put in various threads.

Quote Originally Posted by jungmuny View Post
    I guess the green caught my eye but maybe that was just an artist's way of drawing the glass. Developers have to be careful in that neighborhood in my opinion because it isn't as gentrified as the optimists would hope or as more urban and historic areas are becoming. I'm just mostly afraid a new low rise building might clash with the school.
    Well I agree that the best outcome is if this building were built maybe a block away and that the old impressive row of almost authentic brownstones lining the street were renovated instead. Unfortunately, those burnt down. This is about a thousand times better than leaving the site vacant or as parking, which was probably the other likely outcome (if not likelier than an impressive urban development).

So I like the way things unfolded as it is. Plus, I love this building anywhere. I think it's subtle enough to fit in most anywhere (NOTE: not that I truly believe *anywhere*).

Quote Originally Posted by okyeah View Post
    Okay, let me tell you why I felt unsafe. I attended school at Classen SAS in the 90s for middle school and graduated high school in 2004. I am also a skinny, petite female. Since there isn't a parking lot large enough for students, staff, and faculty, I once parked a couple of blocks North of the school. This is where all of the bigger historic houses are. That day I also arrived pretty late, around 9:20 AM. So as I'm on the sidewalk and walking to the school, these two men are coming at me with a knife from the sidewalk on the other side of the street (the east sidewalk). I RUN back to my car, get in, lock the doors, and decide to park in a grassy field closer to the school. I've also had my car broken into while I was at school. I had my radio stolen. Just petty theft, but still...a hassle to get my window replaced.

I continue to volunteer at a clinic in the Epworth Church adjacent to Classen SAS. Like I said earlier, I definitely don't feel safe. It's not an area I would feel safe jogging or walking around.

I grew up living in the area right behind OCU between around 29th Penn and Classen. I attended Oklahoma City Public Schools from elementary to high school. Not a suburbanite...but I am living in Norman now. went to college at OU and just stayed here.
    Holy crap. I'd find some nice safe suburban enclave and just never leave there if I were you, with your luck. But I will say that everytime I'm in town (which is more often these days) I love to go play tennis at those courts at Goodholm Park, near 23rd/Robinson. Jefferson Park is a higher-crime area than Gatewood, and I always feel perfectly safe playing tennis. In fact I love it because of the diversity, and sometimes I make a new tennis friend. There used to be these neighborhood kids (like 10-12 years old) that would come by and I'd play tennis with them. I think that there's this elderly black gentleman who is giving neighborhood tennis lessons in some capacity.

So to make a long story short, there are a lot of nice people that you can come across on the street as well. I don't believe that crime is any kind of problem at all except in a few specifically bad pockets (Central Park, Classen Ten Penn, for example) which are still bad. Even Central Park is showing modest improvement now. I think places that have a serious crime problem... parts of Moore and MWC, all of Del City, NW 122nd, Lyrewood Lane (worst crime in OKC), and certainly the dark streets surrounding downtown to the west, south, and east.

I also can see how Classen SAS is a bit of a target. Here you have a bunch of fairly eclectic white people who are obviously smart for being kids, but not smart enough to understand some intangible things about life (aka street-smarts), who don't understand what a target it is to have a hundred BMWs parked along a street in the inner city.

Quote Originally Posted by okyeah View Post

What would you say are your top 3 things that would make you feel safe? For example, police walking a beat, street lighting, other people on the street, an abscence of vacant lots, etc...

Well, I just don't think it's appropriate to lambaste a young woman for not feeling safe in a poorly-lit urban environment. I do happen to strongly disagree that there is a unique crime problem in Gatewood. There just isn't.

Thread Information