Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 18th Street Studios

1. Default Re: 18th & Classen: 18th Street Studios (apartments)

Yikes. I hope this gets back on track!
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Default Re: 18th & Classen: 18th Street Studios (apartments)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    More recently, there was a similar situation on N May, at the north end of the "survey curve" immediately north of Wilshire. However this one did finally get finished, after a decade or so of sitting half-built.
    If I remember the story right that was supposed to be a new store for a jeweler in Shepherd Mall but got tied up in all the banking stuff in 1982 and ultimately came under control of the RTC/FDIC. I had some friends who looked into ownership hoping to buy it in the late 80's and finish it but it was still under control of the FDIC at that point with no sale in the near future. It didn't sell until the late 90's I think.

Sometimes work stoppages also have to do with funding milestones. The F1 track under construction here in Austin went quiet for a couple of weeks which caused all sorts of speculation. What it was really about was construction was ahead of schedule on the current funding cycle and the new funding cycle didn't start until September 1. Once that date hit and the bonds were issued (McCombs used bonds to finance it), they started moving forward and have started building up now.

Whilst doing my morning run last week, I noticed some construction machinery being dropped off on the site -- very early morning. I have now noticed that plywood and other materials have been delivered and men are on site. Looks like the "lull" is over. Can't wait to see this go up -- especially in my neck of the woods.

That's great, thank you. I was holding my breath there for a few days but now I can chill some.

Great! It's really nice to see places like this, LEVEL, and Loft 401 provide some diverse options for people in the metro.

More framing going on! Looks like they will make a lot of progress from here on out.

Saw them doing wood wall framing today, reassuring to see.

Blog Entries

Pic didn't upload right but you get the idea...

I'm thrilled to see development in this area because I attended school there in the late 90s and remember how many severely blighted houses surrounded the school. I do wish the paint scheme was toned down at the least so as to stay in harmony with the neighborhood. As an oil town, locals are prone to a boom and bust mentality that can be traced back to I.M. Pei and earlier. I always wanted to see that corner developed as it was eyesore for us ball players after school waiting for rides but the long term viability and harmony with the neighborhood has to be considered as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JL Design View Post
    We just finished the renderings, thought I'd post one...

Jungmoney, that is pretty toned-down, no? Different tactile hues of beige and glass. I think it will fit in very well while adding some diversity as well.

I guess the green caught my eye but maybe that was just an artist's way of drawing the glass. Developers have to be careful in that neighborhood in my opinion because it isn't as gentrified as the optimists would hope or as more urban and historic areas are becoming. I'm just mostly afraid a new low rise building might clash with the school.

Blog Entries

Lots of progress in a week...

13. Default Re: 18th & Classen: 18th Street Studios (apartments)

Anybody heard any scuttlebutt on prices?

we havent determined prices yet. somewhere between $1.15 and $1.40 per square foot. that's on the menu soon though. we will start pre-leasing beginning in Jan - Feb of 2012. thanks for keeping up with the project!

p.s. the delay was nothing more than bad weather and typical construction timing.

It's a pretty impressive mock-up. That neighborhood is referred to as "the bubble". Lots of liberal arts folk live and play in the area and I can't see it being a clash at all. The use of clean, modern architecture sitting in between old brickwork buildings is very chic (common in cities like Portland), and I find it quite appealing.

My mom owned the restaurant in the Victorian Building across the street when I was a kid, back in the 80s. Lots of fond memories of this area!

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    Lots of liberal arts folk live and play in the area and I can't see it being a clash at all. The use of clean, modern architecture sitting in between old brickwork buildings is very chic (common in cities like Portland), and I find it quite appealing.
    You can't imagine it being a clash? This neighborhood was the roughest structurally west of broadway extension and north of tenth just 15 years ago. There are still vagrants walking through the area at night on Classen, imo a byproduct of downtown development forcing them out over the years. The difference between Portland and here is that they have a thriving creative class with good taste and land prices are high enough to justify sleek new development amongst older buildings. Like I said, I like the idea of urban infill but this project seems overambitious. Modesty and an eye toward detail in design are traits that stand the test of time. The idea of luxury housing in that neighborhood and the flamboyance of the drawing is kind of annoying but hopefully the project is a success and I eat my words.

Quote Originally Posted by jungmuny View Post
    You can't imagine it being a clash? This neighborhood was the roughest structurally west of broadway extension and north of tenth just 15 years ago. There are still vagrants walking through the area at night on Classen, imo a byproduct of downtown development forcing them out over the years. The difference between Portland and here is that they have a thriving creative class with good taste and land prices are high enough to justify sleek new development amongst older buildings. Like I said, I like the idea of urban infill but this project seems overambitious. Modesty and an eye toward detail in design are traits that stand the test of time. The idea of luxury housing in that neighborhood and the flamboyance of the drawing is kind of annoying but hopefully the project is a success and I eat my words.
    This is probably the most "creative" (artsy?) part of town. OCU being right down the street, Classen SAS, Lyric Theater, The Plaza, Mutt's/BTT (I say Mutt's, because how many people think gourmet hot dogs/tacos?), close to Paseo...It may be a stretch, but I think it's a good stretch to make, and I think it's about as good a place in town as is going to be found for this kind of project.

Quote Originally Posted by mbard4444 View Post
    we havent determined prices yet. somewhere between $1.15 and $1.40 per square foot. that's on the menu soon though. we will start pre-leasing beginning in Jan - Feb of 2012. thanks for keeping up with the project!

p.s. the delay was nothing more than bad weather and typical construction timing.
    REALLY? I hope you get it but that's the same as high end Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by city View Post
    REALLY? I hope you get it but that's the same as high end Midtown.
    this is correct ... the new 1212 N harvey won't be 1.40 a sqft and it is a 100 times better location

Blog Entries

From Tuesday morning (11/22/11):

Quote Originally Posted by mbard4444 View Post

There were plenty of nice days for weeks when no one was on site.

Well, the market will determine if the prices are reasonable...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    There were plenty of nice days for weeks when no one was on site.
    Dang, lay off the guy. Pretty sure they can let the pace of construction go however they want.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Well, the market will determine if the prices are reasonable...
    Exactly. Even though I too agree that preliminary pricing is a tad on the high end.

Thanks Teo!

Really coming along and looks super sharp.

Thread Information