Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 18th Street Studios

Default Re: 18th & Classen: 18th Street Studios (apartments)

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Regarding the Braum's moving... my daughter goes to Classen SAS and that is a big hangout for those kids after school (and a place of walking-distance-from-school employment). It will be a big loss. Not just to those kids, but also to us who use the market (even though homeland is across the street, Braum's milk is better and nice to have so close).

Regarding the design of the new residential, I'm not that big a fan, but maybe it will grow on me as I'll have to drive by it every day.
    I think Metro was wrong about the Braum's relocation. I think he meant the Braum's that was torn down south of I-40 at Penn is relocating not the one on Classen.

I was going to say that the 18th & Classen Braum's location is a completely different market than anything off of I-40, even if they are only a couple of miles apart. It really serves that neighborhood while the one next the interstate is much more for people passing through.

I really hope the one near this new apartment complex stays put.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I was going to say that the 18th & Classen Braum's location is a completely different market than anything off of I-40, even if they are only a couple of miles apart. It really serves that neighborhood while the one next the interstate is much more for people passing through.

I really hope the one near this new apartment complex stays put.
    It could become a prime candidate for a rebuild, if the room is there. It's been a few years since I've been there and can't remember the layout.

I mistakenly said 18th, but this particular Braum's is on the SW corner of Classen and NW 17th.

I believe the location off I-40 they had to close due to the construction was on Agnew, just south of the interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This is simply outstanding work! Amazing! Kudos!

ATTENTION RCJUNKIE AND ROVER: COOL, WELL-CONCEIVED AND DESIGNED PROJECTS DO RECEIVE LOTS OF PRAISE ON THIS BOARD.
    Haha, too true.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    I think Metro was wrong about the Braum's relocation. I think he meant the Braum's that was torn down south of I-40 at Penn is relocating not the one on Classen.
    I could be wrong, but that's not what I've been told from a reliable source involved in the deal.

If Braum's goes away, someone else will undoubtedly move in to fill the gap -- MickeyD's, Sonic, Whataburger, or even a non-chain local entrepreneur. The captive market that the school represents will be too good to pass up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Haha, too true.
    OUCH.

Glad to see the planets lining up and a project universally liked by all. Kumbiyah. LOL.

All it takes is a little luck, and then OKC development can get on a roll like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JL Design View Post
    We just finished the renderings, thought I'd post one...

Those renderings look amazing! I'm jealous.

11. Default Re: 18th & Classen: 18th Street Studios (apartments)

Steel is flying today.

Yep, steel started today both horizontally and vertically. I'll take pics tomorrow.

Took these Monday with my iPad2. Quality isn't the greatest, but you get the idea. This ALL went up on Monday. This project is moving quick now that they started.

Last edited by metro; 08-26-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Not sure why OKCTalk is rotating the photos, but if someone can rotate and post, please do.

Nice, thanks for the pics metro.

Are these apartments located right off Classen? Visible from Classen? Thanks.

They're a block west of Classen on NW 18, right across the street from the school and on the SW corner of the intersection.

They are visible from Classen too.

Have we heard what the prices for these apartments will be?

18. Default Re: 18th & Classen: 18th Street Studios (apartments)

This project hasn't moved for weeks.

I was thinking the same. Last I saw them out was after the 3rd day, but it appeared the steel was already up.

Interesting location for this project. West of Classen is slowly crawling out of the "questionable neighborhood" area with exception of the area close to the Plaza. South of 16th is still pretty scary. Lots of section 8 4plexes around there. Ready to see even more positive development around there!

Gatewood has been a nice neighborhood for a while already, although it does have a few streets in between that aren't as nice.

I'm worried about this project.

Wonder what the heck happened if they already had the steel up then suddenly quit?

Back before Urban Renewal, there was a steel framework for a partially-built high-rise located approximately where the new library is today, on Walker. The ground floor had been completed and was occupied by a florist, but the second story was nothing but the initial steel work, up to about four stories and nothing above that. As I understood at the time, it had been begun in the early 30s, not long after First National and the Ramsey Tower were completed, and was intended to compete with them -- but the developer ran out of money, and didn't even have enough to raze it and salvage the metal. It finally vanished during Urban Renewal, replaced by a parking lot until the library was built.

More recently, there was a similar situation on N May, at the north end of the "survey curve" immediately north of Wilshire. However this one did finally get finished, after a decade or so of sitting half-built.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Back before Urban Renewal, there was a steel framework for a partially-built high-rise located approximately where the new library is today, on Walker. The ground floor had been completed and was occupied by a florist, but the second story was nothing but the initial steel work, up to about four stories and nothing above that. As I understood at the time, it had been begun in the early 30s, not long after First National and the Ramsey Tower were completed, and was intended to compete with them -- but the developer ran out of money, and didn't even have enough to raze it and salvage the metal. It finally vanished during Urban Renewal, replaced by a parking lot until the library was built.

More recently, there was a similar situation on N May, at the north end of the "survey curve" immediately north of Wilshire. However this one did finally get finished, after a decade or so of sitting half-built.
    And it's similar to this huge structure that has been sitting unfinished in West OKC for years.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n10155704/

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    And it's similar to this huge structure that has been sitting unfinished in West OKC for years.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n10155704/
    Dang, that was written in '02 and it's still like that.

Thread Information