Widgets Magazine
Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1482

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Let's not forget OKC is home to the ****** building.
    The what building?

New, free-standing Jimmy John's with drive thru coming to vacant lot at NW 23rd & Barnes.

FINALLY a Jimmy Johns close enough to me for Freaky fast delivery!!!

When did Jimmy Johns go from $1 delivery to $2.50?

This much be a franchise because all corporate owned Jimmy John's charge a $1 per sandwich on a delivery.

I recently took at trip back to OKC and while the newer parts of 23rd St look great, the rest of it just looks ancient. Really hopeful for its future, but these newer developments really show where that district was at its lowest points.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheNorth View Post
    I recently took at trip back to OKC and while the newer parts of 23rd St look great, the rest of it just looks ancient. Really hopeful for its future, but these newer developments really show where that district was at its lowest points.
    It's getting there.

There are about 4-5 projects -- renovation and new construction -- already in the works with more on the way.

Just a couple of years ago that stretch was horrific; it will get there.

Speaking of which, Pete, I haven't heard much about the old bank that's supposed to be renovated and the restaurant concept that's supposed to go inside the old Joe's Pawn in long while. Do you happen to have any updates on those two projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Speaking of which, Pete, I haven't heard much about the old bank that's supposed to be renovated and the restaurant concept that's supposed to go inside the old Joe's Pawn in long while. Do you happen to have any updates on those two projects?
    Yeah, they cleaned out the old bank then not much has happened. They have a restaurant/bar for the first level as I've seen the plans; may be waiting to sign another tenant before starting the renovation of the whole building.

They are looking for a restaurant tenant for the old Joe's Pawn.

This is a conceptual rendering:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are looking for a restaurant tenant for the old Joe's Pawn.

This is a conceptual rendering:

Man that's a hell of an improvement.

Ben Sellers (owner) gave the same sort of treatment to the building directly to the east, which now has Pizza 23 and Orange Leaf.

Just thinking back to when I attended OCU back in 2011 (really not that long ago) and my first drive down 23rd, that street is unrecognizable. I really hope someone manages to sweet talk the CSL plasma place soon, it is a pretty big chunk of that area. I think it could be removed and be a good spot for housing.

I keep hoping beyond hope that someone redevelops that block where the old Rainbow Records used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I have no idea where Stuart got the 50 ft. The distance from the Tower Theater front door to the nearest crosswalk is 230 ft. There is a turnaround/cut in the median right in front of Tower, which would lead pedestrians to cross there.

I am glad this got approved.
    I've tried to work with him to get stop signs in my neighborhood. He gave me 2 case studies where stop signs made no difference in speed, and the other showed an increase in speed. I then asked: "our main goal is to slow cars on Tulsa Avenue. How do we get things like a painted bike lane stripe, more crosswalks, etc.". No response.

Not sure of the best place to put this, but thought this thread was close enough:

Sam’s Southern Eatery to open in OKC

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record August 16, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – A former Chinese restaurant didn’t sit on the market long before a new operator leased the building.

The Grand Village Chinese restaurant, 2336 NW 23rd, is being renovated and will be the home of Sam’s Southern Eatery. It will be the company’s second restaurant in Oklahoma; the first opened in Tulsa in 2013.

Owner Sam Gazawaneh said the Tulsa restaurant is doing well, and the Oklahoma City restaurant will open soon.

“We’re changing everything in there right now,” he said. “It will take me about two weeks. It should be ready by early September. We don’t play.”

The restaurant offers hand-breaded fried seafood, chicken tenders, and side dishes. The items are Gazawaneh’s own creation, which he started making when he worked at a convenience store. The store had a lot of customers from a nearby industrial park. The first Sam’s restaurant opened in Shreveport, Louisiana, in 2008.

Sam’s is leasing the 3,300-square-foot building. Newmark Grubb Levy Strange Beffort retail broker Danny Ojeda started showing the space in early summer. Grand Village left at the end of June. It had been in the former McDonald’s building for 15 years.

Ojeda said former restaurant spaces move quickly.

“Second-generation restaurant space is always in high demand because it cuts the cost of having to build out a whole kitchen with vent hoods and grills,” he said. “Those all get expensive when you’re starting from a box.”

He said he received a lot of calls on the space, with interest from local and out-of-state restaurateurs.

The building owner was glad to get a franchise-like operation in the space. Gazawaneh said he’s not a franchisor but is looking for partners to help him find space in other cities. There are more than 50 restaurants around the country.

“(Gazawaneh) has a proven model,” Ojeda said. “They are going through a big expansion right now. They obviously know what they’re doing. It made the landlord feel more comfortable than leasing to a new restaurant. You’d be taking a risk on new owners.”

Gazawaneh said he thinks Oklahoma City could support 10 of his restaurants. He said he’s looking for spaces ranging in size from 3,400 square feet to 4,000 square feet.

“It’s not like Captain’s D or Long John Silver’s,” he said. “It’s different. People love our food. We have a little bit of everything.”

16. Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

Well darn.... I didn't make it over there very often but I loved Grand Village.

well here is to being optimistic that this new place has great food!. I didn't go to Grand Village often and it was good but I have others I tend to go to first. But I like the sound of the new place. Crossing fingers!

18. Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    well here is to being optimistic that this new place has great food!. I didn't go to Grand Village often and it was good but I have others I tend to go to first. But I like the sound of the new place. Crossing fingers!
    Has anyone been able to find a menu? I went to their website and found out they have 43 locations in 7 states but the menu was still under construction..... Doesn't appear they have this internet thing down yet.

19. Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

Nevermind... I was able to find this on Zomato.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	12884

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	12885

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	12886

20. Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

Was flipping through Edible's September issue this morning and saw Chick-n-Beer - coming soon to Uptown 23rd District.

"From executive chef Paul Langer and the creators of Guernsey Park comes a new concept celebrating gourmet chicken wings and local craft beer"

@chicknbeer

715 NW 23rd St

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    "From executive chef Paul Langer and the creators of Guernsey Park comes a new concept celebrating gourmet chicken wings and local craft beer.

It's the old Bubba's BBQ space.

23. Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

Into it.

They were supposed to be open some time ago but have been delayed several times.

Excited to try it.

I meant to write a story about this some time ago but never got around to it.

25. Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They were supposed to be open some time ago but have been delayed several times.

Excited to try it.

I meant to write a story about this some time ago but never got around to it.
    Saw there was a gazette article about it in spring. If it's an expansion of the wings they offer at Guernsey should be great.

http://okgazette.com/2016/05/26/new-...fried-chicken/

Thread Information