Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 58 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Uptown/23rd Uptown / 23rd District

Automobile Alley _|_Boathouse Row _|_ Bricktown _|_Central Business District
    Deep Deuce_|_Film Row_|_Midtown _|_Plaza District_|_SoSA_|_Uptown / 23rd

201 NW 23rd | 23rd Street Courts | 603 NW 23rd | Back Door Barbecue | Big Truck Tacos | Cheever's | Daebak K | Dutch | Gold Dome | Grandad's | Guernsey Park | Guyutes | Old American Fidelity | Pizza 23 | Pizzeria Gusto | Pump Bar | Sunbeam Old Campus | The Classen | The Drake | The Rise | Tower Theater | Tucker's

Last edited by Pete; 03-19-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Here is something new that I noticed today. The retail west of Harvey along 23rd is now vacant with for lease signs in the windows. It had been the business named Design Resources. I am not sure how long they have been there, but it seems like at least a few years.

Also Wild Flower is no longer located next to Cuppies and Joes, I believe the moved to another location in the downtown area.

Currently there is plywood all along the store fronts in the Tower Theater area, but I haven't seen any type of construction or contractors working here.

I also see that the T-Mobile store is open for business at the Sun Moon Plaza, 23rd and Western.

Is Prohibition Room being evicted from the 23rd Gold Dome?

There was a story about them and problems with their lease, but I appeared they were open for business this evening.

3. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Is Prohibition Room being evicted from the 23rd Gold Dome?

There was a story about them and problems with their lease, but I appeared they were open for business this evening.
    The owners claim to have been paying their rent. It sounds a lot like a personal conflict.

Here is something new that I noticed today. The retail west of Harvey along 23rd is now vacant with for lease signs in the windows. It had been the business named Design Resources. I am not sure how long they have been there, but it seems like at least a few years.
    According to their website Design Resources moved up to the Wilshire & Robinson area in what has become a "design district", so they are close to their clientele in that location.
    The owner used to be on here quite a bit years ago and has been active in the 23rd Street revitalization.

The hot dog place by the Big Truck Taco folks is some development on 23rd, but I have no far east/west on 23rd is considered "uptown."

I didn't know Wildflower had moved...that's a shame. I would have hoped they would get enough foot traffic from other businesses in that complex to keep them going, but I must confess I'd always planned to shop there and never got around to it.

I know they're expanding the 23rd Street Cottages, which Cuppies and Joe is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I know they're expanding the 23rd Street Cottages, which Cuppies and Joe is in.
    Were those cottages already there and they rehabbed them, or are they new construction? I honestly can't remember what was there before.

Me neither, but they're in the middle of a block. I don't know why they would have been there originally, when they were houses. The complex makes sense now that it's a retail development.

Are we talking about the old 23rd Street Vintage location?

Those four cottages along 23rd are definitely original, dating back to around 1915.

Pete, there are some cottages in the REAR of those however that are currently under construction. That's the expansion of the 23rd Street Cottages. They are in the middle of the block with frontage on neither 23rd or 24th. You have to turn into the development and go behind Cuppies and Joe, but you can see the construction if you're just passing it on 23rd.

Those were built at the same time as the ones along 23rd.

Noticed a new sign for a place called "1924 Bar", (may be off a number or two), but it is located in the Tower Theater building to the west end of the strip. Sign says to be opening April 1st.

Also noticed new glass being installed all along the strip center east of Big Truck. I know Big Truck has their merchandise store in that building and the new glass was going in there too.

I am still unclear as to what is going on behind the plywood inside the Tower Theater building?

and did Wildflower move to the Plaza District?

Its in total disrepair but that house just behind Cuppies and Joe looks like it could be a cool, compact home. Maybe its the small rectangular pool that sits there that has me intrigued.

Too bad that 1924 Bar isn't in the Tower. I really wish something cool would move into the Tower like a club or dance company. It could be such an amazing space.

and did Wildflower move to the Plaza District?
    Yes Wildflower opened in the Plaza District in February

When do we think, this stretch of 23rd street between Broadway and Classen will receive it's new sidewalks?

It is quite sad to see one of the most walkable streets in Okc not have adequate sidewalks and crosswalks, but NW 164th and Western has incredible sidewalks for pedestrians.

The Old Downtown Guy, right? I met him for lunch at McNellie's a few years ago (like 06 or 07, back when Ok-Met was going strong), he was cool. Surprising that such an inner city guy would move up to Wilshire..

20. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

The Old Downtown Guy, right? I met him for lunch at McNellie's a few years ago (like 06 or 07, back when Ok-Met was going strong), he was cool. Surprising that such an inner city guy would move up to Wilshire..
    You are correct. Michael Smith. Married to Randy Floyd, I believe. I think I was there with you...

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    You are correct. Michael Smith. Married to Randy Floyd, I believe. I think I was there with you...
    Yessir. He was also one of the fathers of a Mid-town association that I think has died out now, though I could be wrong.

Pete is right Spartie, those are original, my neighbor, Mike Therasena is the one who owns and remodeled those cottages. They've been there as long as I can remember. Before the rehab Cuppies used to be The Vintage where us punkers got clothes in the 90s.
    Haha, alright. I just remember the ones fronting 23rd, and I assumed they weren't building new, but BG918 (who is usually well-informed) asked the question and made me wonder. I was never asserting one way or another, just didn't know. Thanks for the info.. and that's too bad about the sushi parlor.

Yep, I met him one time when I brought some Fat Tire up for him when we came up for an OU-Tech game. We knew some of the same people from my Benham days.

Pete is right Spartie, those are original, my neighbor, Mike Therasena is the one who owns and remodeled those cottages. They've been there as long as I can remember. Before the rehab Cuppies used to be The Vintage where us punkers got clothes in the 90s. And there is only one house behind them, it's directly behind Cuppies, I will go take a pic today to show you. It was going to be a sushi place but the guy had financial issues but they are expanding it as we speak and seeking another restaurant.

At is correct, they live down the street from me also.

That little clutch of renovated cottages is one of the best bits of infill development in all of OKC.

Would love to see that developer do more.

Thread Information