Widgets Magazine
Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1486

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

I would hope...at this point, given the degradation of the units. That the cottages and 4 plex (the one closest to 24th & walker) would be mowed down. It's like, we've seen them rot this long. Let's just rezone the block mixed use and do a midtown/deep deuce type thing. The hood already enjoys a wide demographic of owners/leasers. Why not add a premium rental property.

Not going to happen, and if it does I'll buy you dinner at a restaurant to be named later.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    I would hope...at this point, given the degradation of the units. That the cottages and 4 plex (the one closest to 24th & walker) would be mowed down. It's like, we've seen them rot this long. Let's just rezone the block mixed use and do a midtown/deep deuce type thing. The hood already enjoys a wide demographic of owners/leasers. Why not add a premium rental property.
    My brother live one block north of these. They're not even in that bad of shape. I don't even think they've been empty or boarded up for a full three years. There is a huge empty lot right next to the 4 plex that can be used for a mixed use development and plenty more empty/under used lots in the paseo/uptown, no reason to knock historic buildings when a plan to renovate them is already in place.

I would not want my front yard to be the Pump and the Rise parking lot. I live on 25th and Walker. I frequent the Pump, Gusto, and many businesses in the Rise. I am so happy they all are here. But, I've lost countless hours of sleep from the Pump's karaoke on Monday nights. I could not imagine living any closer. I hoped they would lease these bungalows as retail/restaurant, like along 23rd. As for the big empty lot, I'd like to see something like the Edge. Nice apartments with retail/restaurant on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Em89 View Post
    I would not want my front yard to be the Pump and the Rise parking lot. I live on 25th and Walker. I frequent the Pump, Gusto, and many businesses in the Rise. I am so happy they all are here. But, I've lost countless hours of sleep from the Pump's karaoke on Monday nights. I could not imagine living any closer. I hoped they would lease these bungalows as retail/restaurant, like along 23rd. As for the big empty lot, I'd like to see something like the Edge. Nice apartments with retail/restaurant on the bottom.
    Or maybe they can lease them to people who want to be close to the pump and don't mind the noise?

I would suggest buying an air purifier, box fan, or other kind of ambient noise maker and using that to drown out the sound. I used an air purifier to drown out sounds from my fraternity house in college when I wanted to sleep through whatever loudness was going on outside my room, it worked great.

I've got one of those big lasko air movers with the hamster-cage-like fans. It's a nice smooth white noise. The only thing that gets through are the living outdoors 24/7/365 giant dogs on 25th & Dewey.

I can only imagine what legal battles will go down if these things get leased to people who aren't okay living across from the pump/rise/tower. And can you imagine the parking nightmare once the 2 bars, 2 restaurants, and a 1200 seat venue open across the street? My property value is skyrocketing. And I love the energy and traffic. But it's clearly not sitting well with everyone.

I've got one of those big lasko air movers with the hamster-cage-like fans. It's a nice smooth white noise. The only thing that gets through are the living outdoors 24/7/365 giant dogs on 25th & Dewey.

I can only imagine what legal battles will go down if these things get leased to people who aren't okay living across from the pump/rise/tower. And can you imagine the parking nightmare once the 2 bars, 2 restaurants, and a 1200 seat venue open across the street? My property value is skyrocketing. And I love the energy and traffic. But it's clearly not sitting well with everyone.
    I think my brother lives right behind those dogs and you're right, those things are extremely loud even for large dogs.

Well whoever leases those houses/apts will know in advance about all of that so they will have no to blame but themselves if they can't handle it. Hate to be one of "those people" but for the residents who the increased activity isn't sitting well with, I would recommend that they move somewhere quieter or figure out a way to deal with all the changes. All of those businesses are doing a pretty good job of trying to adhere to neighbors requests and with all the new development coming in uptown and the paseo, it is going to get exponentially more active. Not to be rude, but it may be time for some of the people that are constantly complaining to reevaluate whether the paseo is the right neighborhood for them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I think my brother lives right behind those dogs and you're right, those things are extremely loud even for large dogs.

Well whoever leases those houses/apts will know in advance about all of that so they will have no to blame but themselves if they can't handle it. Hate to be one of "those people" but for the residents who the increased activity isn't sitting well with, I would recommend that they move somewhere quieter or figure out a way to deal with all the changes. All of those businesses are doing a pretty good job of trying to adhere to neighbors requests and with all the new development coming in uptown and the paseo, it is going to get exponentially more active. Not to be rude, but it may be time for some of the people that are constantly complaining to reevaluate whether the paseo is the right neighborhood for them anymore.
    This.

I can somewhat understand long-time homeowners being uncomfortable with the changes, but anybody who moves in today or rents some place right across from the Pump of all places should be alright with dealing with some noise. If "quiet" is priority numero uno, I probably wouldn't recommend the Paseo. Whoever rents these should know what they are getting into BEFORE signing the lease.

Urban = loud. If you can't regularly hear noise either A) You have insanely fantastic windows in your home, B) You are deaf or C) You don't live in an urban area.

Got to go to sleep last night with garage door warnings turning on and off. Garage Door warnings are loud, droning beeps to inform pedestrians that a garage door is opening and someone could potentially be exiting without vision of someone walking down the street.

It's amazing how fast you get used to the noise.

I live right on top of Shartel at a point where it is 4 lanes and on a pretty decent hill. So, cars are either flying up or down it all day and night.

I also live right next to St. Anthony's and there is a fire station just a few blocks away. Sirens are frequent and loud since I live so close to the street.

I hardly notice any of these things any more and I've always been somewhat sensitive to noise.

11. Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

^^^^^
    This is why I never cared that much about the quiet zone. When I first moved within a block and a half of the railroad, train sounds kept me up all night. Especially when the flue in my fireplace was open. After about a month I was immune to it, often not even noticing the sound. Beyond that, at times it was actually soothing.

Well they're not going out without a fight. When I talked to the pump owners about the bunker club; we got onto the topic of traffic and noise. They say there's a few neighbors that are petitioning city council, calling the cops every time there's a "woo" or a screeching tire; and they're seething mad about the karaoke. My words not theirs. I've seen the discussion in the neighborhood app. The neighbors are citing code that says "plainly audible within a dwelling" the pump is citing decibel levels. The code is contradictory (and who decides what's plainly audible or how much sound is blocked by various construction techniques anyways? Of if the windows are open for that matter) They(pump) said they were investigated by the code enforcement officer during karaoke and found to be within code so they're pushing back. And won their case against a disturbing the peace citation. But the pessimist in me forsees a feud. Especially if Marva steps into the ring.

I still hear some things that wake me in the night, dogs, car stereos, noise from the rise, certain exhaust tones hit the brown note on my bedrooms windows that cause them to shake and rattle like the world is ending. Some nights I pop the industrial foam earplugs in. But I'll happily trade it all for a walkable, vibrant 23rd street where I can eat, drink, shop, and run errands. I'm still praying Truong Thana becomes a market again like veezey's drugs. That would rocket our neighborhood to one of the best in the city. A little bit country, a little bit rock n' roll. I just wish some of our neighbors would get on board with the rock n' roll.

Can anyone else think of a district (in OKC) where a commercial entertainment directly borders a residential? There's plenty examples of residential being next door to factories, propane yards, rail hubs, etc. I'm just wondering about precedent for entertainment.

Edmond is waiting for people who want peace, quiet, and serenity. If they've lived in uptown/paseo for long they could probably sell their homes for significantly more than what they bought them for as home values in that area have skyrocketed over the past decade. Plenty of people want to live in a vibrant, active urban neighborhood so selling them shouldn't be an issue.

Can anyone else think of a district (in OKC) where a commercial entertainment directly borders a residential? There's plenty examples of residential being next door to factories, propane yards, rail hubs, etc. I'm just wondering about precedent for entertainment.
    The Plaza and Western Avenue. Bricktown has had the distinction of being isolated from residential through most of its history as an entertainment district, though that is starting to change.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    If they've lived in uptown/paseo for long they could probably sell their homes for significantly more than what they bought them for as home values in that area have skyrocketed over the past decade.
    uhhh there's more than a few people living in homes that were essentially given to them free as part of a bizarre decades old govt. program to get disable people into municipal owned homes.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The Plaza and Western Avenue. Bricktown has had the distinction of being isolated from residential through most of its history as an entertainment district, though that is starting to change.
    a little different on the plaza and western as 16th and western are the thoroughfare...although now that I think of it, Walker is a thoroughfares sorts. Zero stops to the light in the half mile to 30th. It's just that corner. I love the pump being a street removed from 23rd, it gives it way more of a neighborhood pub aspect.

Well they're not going out without a fight. When I talked to the pump owners about the bunker club; we got onto the topic of traffic and noise. They say there's a few neighbors that are petitioning city council, calling the cops every time there's a "woo" or a screeching tire; and they're seething mad about the karaoke. My words not theirs. I've seen the discussion in the neighborhood app. The neighbors are citing code that says "plainly audible within a dwelling" the pump is citing decibel levels. The code is contradictory (and who decides what's plainly audible or how much sound is blocked by various construction techniques anyways? Of if the windows are open for that matter) They(pump) said they were investigated by the code enforcement officer during karaoke and found to be within code so they're pushing back. And won their case against a disturbing the peace citation. But the pessimist in me forsees a feud. Especially if Marva steps into the ring.

I still hear some things that wake me in the night, dogs, car stereos, noise from the rise, certain exhaust tones hit the brown note on my bedrooms windows that cause them to shake and rattle like the world is ending. Some nights I pop the industrial foam earplugs in. But I'll happily trade it all for a walkable, vibrant 23rd street where I can eat, drink, shop, and run errands. I'm still praying Truong Thana becomes a market again like veezey's drugs. That would rocket our neighborhood to one of the best in the city. A little bit country, a little bit rock n' roll. I just wish some of our neighbors would get on board with the rock n' roll.

Mesta Park & Heritage Hills - Midtown & Uptown

Gatewood & CTP - The Plaza

Western - Crown Heights, Douglas Park, Helm Farm

North Western - Nichols Hills, The Village

Classen Curve, Triangle, NHP - Nichols Hills & Brookhaven

I haven't been to Karaoke Night as I think it is on Mondays? But I am guessing they host it outside? Perhaps turning the volume down a few clicks would help? I would think if people in houses can hear it - then everyone @ the venue can hear it just fine.

I hear all that. I was thinking more like entertainment in a neighborhood. Like the red rooster. The pump. Or if someone were to build a bar out of one of the dozens of neighborhood markets like you see in old rail car hoods like crest wood or reed park. You see lots of examples on villa and other rail car routes.

Yeah, this is a good thing as I noticed just the other night that all the parking areas north of 23rd were packed and almost no one parked in this big lot on the south side of 23rd.

As noted in the article, that lot is certain to get a lot of use when Savings & Loan, the Bunker Club and the Tower all get rolling.

Also the traffic through there on 23rd is way too fast. People need to slow down in general, especially with the big increase in pedestrian traffic in the area.

23rd between Western and Broadway should be 25MPH

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    23rd between Western and Broadway should be 25MPH
    Agreed. Someone is going to eventually die trying to cross that road in the current setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Also the traffic through there on 23rd is way too fast. People need to slow down in general, especially with the big increase in pedestrian traffic in the area.
    Yeah, this is something that needs to be addressed soon considering how fast the area is changing and how popular it is becoming. To think though, two years ago there was pretty much nothing of interest for pedestrians in that entire corridor.

23. Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Agreed. Someone is going to eventually die trying to cross that road in the current setup.
    When we hit Back Door BBQ a few weeks back during the OKC Broken Rib Tour. One of my volunteers had posted to our group asking if we were parking on 23rd or parking around back to meet before we went in. My exact response "I'll be parked in back. 23rd street is dangerous.".

I haven't been in OKC for a few months, but it seems every time I drive on this road traffic moves around 30MPH. I am admittedly a fast driver, but I think this road moves at a reasonable speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I haven't been in OKC for a few months, but it seems every time I drive on this road traffic moves around 30MPH. I am admittedly a fast driver, but I think this road moves at a reasonable speed.
    30 mph is the posted speed, but people often do 5 mph over, so 35 mph. Pedestrian areas should be 25 mph posted at most.

FWIW, a posted speed is really only good for enforcement when a cop is around... the design should be the limiting factor on what people actually feel safe driving, not a sign.

Thread Information