Widgets Magazine
Page 40 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1486

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Blog Entries

Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

Had brunch today at g park and saw Bubbas is closed. Maybe a wing place going in was rumor?

I haven't heard any rumors. But not surprised to hear about bubbas. Despite my living super close to the bungalows. I only regularly visit GP.

Can't really see a wing place working there. Successful chains like wing-stops secure locations with cheap rent and easy access to takeout. I guess the big 2 wing chains have got me brainwashed to only crave wings during sports...

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Can't really see a wing place working there. Successful chains like wing-stops secure locations with cheap rent and easy access to takeout. I guess the big 2 wing chains have got me brainwashed to only crave wings during sports...
    Expand your ideas about Wings places. They don't have to be chains. And they can be awesome and local:
    Hot Mama's Wings | Wings and More

Brianna's update of the situation with the Milk Bottle building.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/546...o_redirect=yes

After less than a year, the boutique Prairie Gothic has closed its doors at Oklahoma City's historic milk bottle grocery building.

Building owner Elise Kilpatrick confirmed the Prairie Gothic moved out earlier this month after opening the shop in May.

The roughly 300-square-foot triangular building won't be vacant for long, however.

It was only empty for about a week before Kilpatrick was able to find a new tenant. This time, the historic grocery store building will be used as office space for a local landscape architect.

That's a better tenant fit. That building is better for appointment visitations rather than casual, and isolated, retail shopping.

BTW, "less than a year" is extremely generous.

Prairie Gothic opened at the end of July... Only made it about 4 months and closed in the best shopping time of the year.

Just demonstrates how bad that spot is for retail and glad it will now have a more viable tenant.

C'mon dude it's 150sf with 2 street parking spaces on one of the most detestable intersections in the area. ��

What is this Prairie Gothic you speak of? Do proprietors believe that advertising is important to their success these days? Never even heard of it.

10. Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

regarding the Tower Theatre, interesting that it has an orchestra pit - I had no idea, and a large stage. Really opens up the amount of events that could be held: Concerts, Symphony, Plays, Opera/Musicals, and Films. I honestly hope the calendar is full throughout the month with all of these events, staggered. Let's get use out of this 'movie-house'.

Which brings up another question; given the success we've seen with Tower and Lyric (in Plaza), are there other community theatres that can (or are scheduled) to be brought back to life? I can think of Will Rogers on Western; anybody know if there are plans to restore it? What about other theatres, any plans? Did someone mention there is a theatre on 4th Street in the CBD; what a nice location for this if true . ...

would be nice if OKC could restore most/all of these type of theatres and all of them provide venue to the aformentioned performances. Talk about having something to do - this will be huge with Lyric/Tower leading the way.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    regarding the Tower Theatre, interesting that it has an orchestra pit - I had no idea, and a large stage. Really opens up the amount of events that could be held: Concerts, Symphony, Plays, Opera/Musicals, and Films. I honestly hope the calendar is full throughout the month with all of these events, staggered. Let's get use out of this 'movie-house'.

Which brings up another question; given the success we've seen with Tower and Lyric (in Plaza), are there other community theatres that can (or are scheduled) to be brought back to life? I can think of Will Rogers on Western; anybody know if there are plans to restore it? What about other theatres, any plans? Did someone mention there is a theatre on 4th Street in the CBD; what a nice location for this if true . ...

would be nice if OKC could restore most/all of these type of theatres and all of them provide venue to the aformentioned performances. Talk about having something to do - this will be huge with Lyric/Tower leading the way.
    not sure if there is a theater on 4th. But the Old uptown theater is on Hundson and 12th in midtown. I'm very surprised that it hasn't been redeveloped yet given its prime location in midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    not sure if there is a theater on 4th. But the Old uptown theater is on Hundson and 12th in midtown. I'm very surprised that it hasn't been redeveloped yet given its prime location in midtown.
    Lots of people would love to redevelop it but the owner won't do anything.

There is also the old theater next to Taquerita Rafitas on 12th & Penn that is still vacant and the whole strip center is now owned by Steve Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Lots of people would love to redevelop it but the owner won't do anything.

There is also the old theater next to Taquerita Rafitas on 12th & Penn that is still vacant and the whole strip center is now owned by Steve Mason.
    There is a theater that is now law offices at NW 18th and Classen.

The tenants of the tower have stated they want to have live entertainment 2-3 times a week and it can fit as many as 1200 people depending on the seating arrangements. I think traditional theater row seats are mostly out of the question at this point.

Also I noticed the TOWER sign lit last night but couldn't tell if it was 100%. Exciting though! Savings and loan have sworn a January opening and rumors that another bar opening on the same block are supposed to become official this week. Even more rumors about the long empty truong than storefronts to reopen as a restaurant. Spectacular times for uptown! My pipe dreams are for it and Broadway to have some kind of pedestrian/cyclist Renaissance. With bike lanes and special signage it would really link downtown>uptown and beyond.
    Last edited by Uptowner; 01-02-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: I can't spell!

The balcony seats will be fixed but those on the floor can be removed for standing-only events.

There's an old theatre just south of 16th on May that a church is using now. I've always thought there is a ton of potential on may between 10th and 23rd.

Per Pump's IG page, Ian is opening a NEW bar Uptown somewhere. No details from the post, they're announcing more info tomorrow. Very exciting!! Looooooove Pump.

I saw they're doing the reveal via the "wafti" podcast. This is even more good news for the tower block.

Quote Originally Posted by jrod View Post
    Per Pump's IG page, Ian is opening a NEW bar Uptown somewhere. No details from the post, they're announcing more info tomorrow. Very exciting!! Looooooove Pump.
    I think I know where it will be...great spot!

They say they are going for a 1950s dive bar theme...will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Bunker Club

Open Streets coming back to 23rd Street (adding The Paseo) on Sunday April 3rd from noon to 4PM:

https://www.facebook.com/events/571934359636550/

When I spoke to Marva Ellard yesterday, she told me they are about to move forward with the residential properties directly north of the Pump Bar.

They own 3 cottages, a 4-plex and 8-plex which will all be renovated into for lease housing.

The empty lots will be developed later and she wasn't sure if they would be for-sale or for-rent units.

When I spoke to Marva Ellard yesterday, she told me they are about to move forward with the residential properties directly north of the Pump Bar.

They own 3 cottages, a 4-plex and 8-plex which will all be renovated into for lease housing.

The empty lots will be developed later and she wasn't sure if they would be for-sale or for-rent units.

I wonder what hold up on the empty lots are? Those lots are in a great location almost anything would succeed... But I really hope they consider adding retail on both Walker and 24th (facing The Pump). I really think some ground level with two floors of residential above would be a good fit for the area.

Thread Information