Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RADBAR (formerly Saints)

Default Re: RADBAR (formerly Saints)

^

I was told the landlord did not renew their lease.

The post you link states it will be a cocktail bar "something the district has long needed".

The reason there haven't been cocktail bars before is that the only liquor licenses that can be granted in the Plaza are ABC-2, which require at least 50% food sales. So, they need to be careful otherwise they will draw the scrutiny of ABLE which can suspend their license.

That name does not give me much hope, but on the other hand, it's not like they'll have to put in too much of an effort to improve on whatever the hell Saints was doing over the last few years.

Default Re: RADBAR (Saints Closing/closed?)

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Sad to hear that Saints is no longer. The space was in disrepair the past few years and seems ownership had lost interest. Was one of my favorite places to frequent,

RADBAR?

https://www.facebook.com/854650343/p...Gkp7TVwtl/?d=n
    It was time. The place had noticeably declined and was nothing like its heady early days, kinda dreary, and very tired.

Not sure about a cocktail bar, per se, but hopefully RADBAR will infuse some much-needed energy back into the neighborhood. There were some challenges with food preparation at one time; not sure if those have been addressed but I imagine they have been.

Wishing RADBAR many successes.

Default Re: RADBAR (Saints Closing/closed?)

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    It was time. The place had noticeably declined and was nothing like its heady early days, kinda dreary, and very tired.

Not sure about a cocktail bar, per se, but hopefully RADBAR will infuse some much-needed energy back into the neighborhood. There were some challenges with food preparation at one time; not sure if those have been addressed but I imagine they have been.

Wishing RADBAR many successes.
    I agree. I meant it is sad because it was so good, and fell so far. Was depressing going there my past few trips to OKC. Sometimes you have to take it behind the barn and put it out of its misery. Although from what Pete said, it doesn’t sound like this was Saints initiated…

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    That name does not give me much hope, but on the other hand, it's not like they'll have to put in too much of an effort to improve on whatever the hell Saints was doing over the last few years.
    Yeah, I can't say I am too sad to see Saints go.
    Used to walk from my house and sit on their patio with my dog but have opted to just walk around the neighborhood and take that beer on the back porch past couple years.
    As you said, won't take much effort at all to improve on Saints.

6. Default Re: RADBAR (formerly Saints)

The only time I had been to Saints...I had cocktails. Really good ones, even! I'm surprised they weren't considered a cocktail bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I was told the landlord did not renew their lease.

The post you link states it will be a cocktail bar "something the district has long needed".

The reason there haven't been cocktail bars before is that the only liquor licenses that can be granted in the Plaza are ABC-2, which require at least 50% food sales. So, they need to be careful otherwise they will draw the scrutiny of ABLE which can suspend their license.
    I’m curious to see if any future establishments bother to go through with the ABC overlay process to change the zoning so they can open such a cocktail bar. It’s a little bit of a cumbersome process though.

Isn’t there a proximity issue to a school or church? There’s been a ton of money poured into the area over the years and I am sure someone would have done it by now if it were possible.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Isn’t there a proximity issue to a school or church? There’s been a ton of money poured into the area over the years and I am sure someone would have done it by now if it were possible.
    There is, but I think you can get a waiver signed by the school or church if they don't have an issue with it. Technically the ACM UCO school in Bricktown would preclude new establishments from being able to do the same thing, even though they're college students, but new bars and restaurant have been able to get around that.

Blog Entries

I've seen the pastor of St Francis hanging in Plaza having a beer, I don't think he minds.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I've seen the pastor of St Francis hanging in Plaza having a beer, I don't think he minds.
    Growing up, the Lutheran pastor was from Chicago. He liked to have Bear's watch parties and he drank a fair share of the brews,lol!

Looking at the color schemes and other things I have found online... is this going to be a "90s bar?"

80s

Rad Bar is now open.

No idea about hours or menu but they opened their doors a couple of days ago.

The menu shows a variety of "hot pockets." Hmm.

Got to visit yesterday. Better use of space than Saints. Service was great, greeting tables with waters (don't usually get that at bars). Right now I think they are open 4pm - 2am all days, but closed on Mondays. With Up-Down being the only night life in the Plaza, this is a great addition.

It all fits in perfectly with the Plaza. Murals inside, fun lights, cool retro floors and walls. My favorite was the huge RADBAR neon sign on the old brick wall behind the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kanaly View Post
    Got to visit yesterday. Better use of space than Saints. Service was great, greeting tables with waters (don't usually get that at bars). Right now I think they are open 4pm - 2am all days, but closed on Mondays. With Up-Down being the only night life in the Plaza, this is a great addition.

It all fits in perfectly with the Plaza. Murals inside, fun lights, cool retro floors and walls. My favorite was the huge RADBAR neon sign on the old brick wall behind the bar.
    I walk by neon. No one ever on the patio.

Good luck to radbar, no idea who the intended audiences are at these places?

Perhaps it appeals to suburban folk who venture to the inner hoods on the weekends for some "inner city culture " ?

Nostalgia lovers? Not sure, I wish them luck.

The 1 time I went in Saints there was a crowd waiting to be seated but no staff payed any attention. Eventually just left...

I'll give this place a try, haven't had a hot pocket in years!

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post

Perhaps it appeals to suburban folk who venture to the inner hoods on the weekends for some "inner city culture " ?

The 1 time I went in Saints there was a crowd waiting to be seated but no staff payed any attention. Eventually just left...

The Plaza District is the “inner city”?

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    The Plaza District is the “inner city”?
    it is very inner city it is one of the main inner city districts

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post

Probably due to the heat we have been having.

I'm sure you will see a lot of people hanging outside in the plaza now.

Checked this out during Plaza Fest which was obviously not a fair trial- they did have table service but it was brvtally slow (see Plaza Fest).
    I really liked the Paint Water drink (basically a Ranch Water with blue powerade instead of lime juice) and thought it was the perfect drink after the walk from my house- gf and her parents hated it though so to each his own.
    Certainly an improvement from late-stage Saints.

Late-stage Saints was brutal.

Thread Information