Greetings Earthlings

With each passing days, browsing on eBay and various sites, I am becoming a bit more motivated in starting my own self-employment and/or small business. Slowly, I have been ordering different things that I felt is reasonably priced with capability of higher resell value for profit. At this time, it is like something random here and there along with whatever things that I already have.

To start, I will do a Garage Sale to see how it goes. After that, I will move onto Mary's Flea Market on NE 23rd in MWC or Spencer ($5 a day outdoor) and then possibly onto Old Paris Flea Market (outdoor). I have to be wise in what I spend on getting in order to being able to sell them.

Now, onto the first question I am wanting to know... How should items be priced when compared to big-box retailers? I know that companies have large overhead operating and payroll costs, which is why the items in their stores are priced way up there. I also know that they are capable of mass-quantity orders to basically pay pennies-on-the-dollar, which provides them boosted profits.

Just how much cheaper should a Garage Sale and shop at a Flea Market be for the customers? I do know that people shop at Garage Sales to find something really cheap (price-wise) and slightly higher at the Flea Markets. However, most shops at the Flea Markets have branded themselves as a Small Business and the prices there are not much cheaper (or about the same) as the big-box retailers.

While working at Target for a year, I remember this one guy that I regularly see coming into the store to only shop for Clearance items that are typically 50, 75, and 90% off. He was obviously shopping for his business. Another example, there is a guy at this yogurt place (Swirl or something) at the new shopping center in MWC regularly buy large amount of milk at Crest for his business.

So, we have people buying Clearance items from other retailers, but is the potential for profit still there to price it at same original retail value when sold elsewhere? If I see something retailing for $5 with 75% Clearance, that brings me to pay $1.25 each plus tax. Will I be able to sell those for $4 each at my business? Or is the majority of the people still with the mindset of only paying higher prices at retailers and a dollar or two at a small shop?

Thanks for taking the time reading and answering.