Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma River Development

Default Re: Oklahoma River Development

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    Ok, you may be right. I thought skytrail=zipline.
    Sky trail is only the rope course-ish thing under the zipline tower. They made it easy to confuse their terminology by referring to the trail, the climbing wall and the zip line like totally separate items though they are all built off the same frame structure.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    I still want a lake or large pond spond off the river or directly connects with the river, some place to just fish that is close and clean as well as an attraction for the area. All large cities have great water features, but compared to most cities, I think our river, for being the water feature it is, just isn't big enough, it's like a large creek.
    Maybe you don't remember what it used to be like when it had to be mowed several times a year. I understand what you're saying but it's unlikely that there will ever any kind of lake or pond in connection with the river in the downtown area. Also I don't remember any great water features in a number of larger cities such as Phoenix or Las Vegas (fountains don't count).

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Sky trail is only the rope course-ish thing under the zipline tower. They made it easy to confuse their terminology by referring to the trail, the climbing wall and the zip line like totally separate items though they are all built off the same frame structure.
    You are correct. The SkyTrails is the white steel framework thing to the north of the building and is discussed to be the first stage. I asked about this today.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Maybe you don't remember what it used to be like when it had to be mowed several times a year. I understand what you're saying but it's unlikely that there will ever any kind of lake or pond in connection with the river in the downtown area. Also I don't remember any great water features in a number of larger cities such as Phoenix or Las Vegas (fountains don't count).
    Maybe not the best examples???

5. Default Re: Oklahoma River Development

How about Dallas? The Trinity River is nothing to speak of. There are numerous examples of big time cities with no outstanding water features.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    I still want a lake or large pond spond off the river or directly connects with the river, some place to just fish that is close and clean as well as an attraction for the area. All large cities have great water features, but compared to most cities, I think our river, for being the water feature it is, just isn't big enough, it's like a large creek.
    Have you heard of Lake Overholser (directly attached and far cleaner water than one would be near downtown) or Hefner (not directly attached but has more amenities than Overholser)? If you want more than either of these currently have adding more lakes will be unlikely to accomplish that because it will dilute resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Maybe not the best examples???
    That's exactly my point, Larry. I was responding to the comment that "all" large cities have great water features which obviously isn't true. And Dallas actually has some decent plans in store for the Trinity if they pan out.

Especially when the large city is located in a desert climate???

I'm not sure if this story works better here or in sports but I'm putting in here for now. There was a very well done video segment on KFOR sports tonight about this same human interest story. There are actually two Cubans here now even though only one is mentioned here. The video in this link is not really related but hopefully the one from KFOR will show up on their website.

http://newsok.com/cuban-kayaker-esca...rticle/3552184

new master plan update from the april 24 Riverfront Redevelopment Authority ... lighted basketball courts and sand volleyball courts are coming to the river and added to the "blue zone" .. is a jr ropes course and zip line ..

USA Canoe/Kayak Olympic Trials Friday night and saturday morning. The winner of the men's and the women or the woman's K1 (single person) is going to the Olympics. Anyone interest can park and watch for free.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    new master plan update from the april 24 Riverfront Redevelopment Authority ... lighted basketball courts and sand volleyball courts are coming to the river and added to the "blue zone" .. is a jr ropes course and zip line ..
    I love the diversity of options that'll be there!

From riversportokc.org

2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials • Canoe/Kayak takes place on the Oklahoma River, April 20-21. Join us in the Boathouse District Friday, 5-7p, for the 200m and 500m Finals! Athletes will also be competing for berths on the USA Canoe/Kayak 2012 National Team and Paracanoe National Team. Racing will continue Saturday morning, with a special Paddle Now! event for youth featuring an athlete autograph session at 11a and the opportunity to paddle with an elite athlete in a team boat, 12-2p. We hope to see you there! [more on OlympicTrialsOKC.org] Watch the live coverage on Universal Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Very cool!

Here are some images from the updated master plan:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They apparently have not been looking at ODOT's plans, a street is planed to go over the north third (if not half) of this bike track to connect the boulevard to 5th.

I'm not sure if this story works better here or in sports but I'm putting in here for now. There was a very well done video segment on KFOR sports tonight about this same human interest story. There are actually two Cubans here now even though only one is mentioned here. The video in this link is not really related but hopefully the one from KFOR will show up on their website.

http://newsok.com/cuban-kayaker-esca...rticle/3552184
    Here is the video I referred to.

http://kfor.com/2012/04/20/kayaking-for-freedom/

^ Great story. On another subject could someone post some sort of timeline of dates for this whole project?

An update on this.

http://newsok.com/old-man-river-hono...rticle/3668257

UCO's boathouse isn't named on those plans. There's a TBD boathouse. Dd it fall through?

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    UCO's boathouse isn't named on those plans. There's a TBD boathouse. Dd it fall through?
    The CHK Central Boathouse is the UCO Boathouse.

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    The CHK Central Boathouse is the UCO Boathouse.
    That's right. My bad. It even says it there. Sorry I was looking on my phone and missed it. Carry on.

These plans look awesome! They're doing a great job with the master plan.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    These plans look awesome! They're doing a great job with the master plan.
    Agreed.

More:

Thread Information