Widgets Magazine
Page 144 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4494139140141142143144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 3,576 to 3,600 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scissortail Park

Cusack Meats is a good company to have in our city.

Their present location doesn't mix with the area parks; of course there are eyesores--the line of old car parts and related shops lined across Robinson from the upper park to the lower park that are falling apart is a distraction from the beautiful lower Scissortail Park.

Also Kudos to our city for the recent Wiley Post Park renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Cusack Meats is a good company to have in our city.

Their present location doesn't mix with the area parks; of course there are eyesores--the line of old car parts and related shops lined across Robinson from the upper park to the lower park that are falling apart is a distraction from the beautiful lower Scissortail Park.

Also Kudos to our city for the recent Wiley Post Park renovations.
    Yes. I suspect areas around the lower park will change quite a bit with improvements over the next 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I think the bookers at the Jones Assembly once had something to do with it, but I'm not sure if that was just touring acts and summer concert series, or if that included regular programming.

They do have a call for artists page on the site for all kinds of performers:

https://scissortailpark.org/call-for-artists/
    You are correct, the Jones Assembly folks were booking it at the start. Not sure if they still are or not. I know there have never been too many touring shows, but of course COVID happened and that really continued to impact concert tours until approximately a year ago. Plus I’m sure it would be a major hassle to close off portions of the park for a ticketed event. I actually don’t believe there ever has been a ticketed event here, but someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Subsonix hosted a ticketed event in the park last summer. I believe it was in August. They basically fenced off the Great Lawn.

I hope they are able to secure some great shows that are ticketed at the lawn. it's absolutely doable and happens all the time in park settings all around the country. 2023 is one of the biggest years for tours in probably a decade so i hope they are able to capitalize on that and we can see a few good shows. but won't hold my breath.

They have started to refill the lake.

7. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They have started to refill the lake.
    Good. I was there again Sunday and saw that the pump that was keeping it dry was gone. I want to see it full.

8. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Not sure where to post this, but I was excited to see how lively and busy downtown was this weekend. Just to give context, I live in Deep Deuce, so traveled to places either walking or via the streetcar. Went to the Scissortail Park's Wind Festival and Midtown Walkabout yesterday, as well as walked my dog in the evening through the Bricktown Canal to get to Bar K in the Boathouse District. Then today went over to the OKCMOA for their Art in Bloom exhibit and then walked through the outdoor portion of the Bombing Memorial. Each place had decent crowds, so a very positive feeling about the direction of our city to see lots of families and groups out and about. While on the streetcar, chatted with some people who were using OKC as a stop on a cross-country trip, and they stated they were very surprised on how nice things were and were wanting to come back to see things like F.A.M. and the Cowboy&Western Museum. So I hope this is a feel-good post for people starting the week ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenHurricane22 View Post
    Not sure where to post this, but I was excited to see how lively and busy downtown was this weekend. Just to give context, I live in Deep Deuce, so traveled to places either walking or via the streetcar. Went to the Scissortail Park's Wind Festival and Midtown Walkabout yesterday, as well as walked my dog in the evening through the Bricktown Canal to get to Bar K in the Boathouse District. Then today went over to the OKCMOA for their Art in Bloom exhibit and then walked through the outdoor portion of the Bombing Memorial. Each place had decent crowds, so a very positive feeling about the direction of our city to see lots of families and groups out and about. While on the streetcar, chatted with some people who were using OKC as a stop on a cross-country trip, and they stated they were very surprised on how nice things were and were wanting to come back to see things like F.A.M. and the Cowboy&Western Museum. So I hope this is a feel-good post for people starting the week ahead.
    Thanks for sharing. Such a beautiful weekend.

Wow, awesome! That blue court really is eye-popping from that perspective.

Agreed! Only wish is they added more pickleball courts they are always so full!

not sure if this is allowed in here but - the okc free press put out a article detailing some struggles with repairs and maintenance at the park. mainly with the restrooms and water park. i don't mean to take away from the success this park has been, just thought it was a interesting read!

Quote Originally Posted by taha View Post
    not sure if this is allowed in here but - the okc free press put out a article detailing some struggles with repairs and maintenance at the park. mainly with the restrooms and water park. i don't mean to take away from the success this park has been, just thought it was a interesting read!
    The fact that maintenance is having trouble keeping up with the traffic of demand is news you wanna hear.

Like can you imagine a multi million dollar project that no one ever uses or want to use as ofter, that or feels disappointed in the visual outcome *cough*boulevard*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    The fact that maintenance is having trouble keeping up with the traffic of demand is news you wanna hear.

Like can you imagine a multi million dollar project that no one ever uses or want to use as ofter, that or feels disappointed in the visual outcome *cough*boulevard*cough*
    The Boulevard will become greatly used in the future when more development is built. It’s a very shortsighted way of looking at things that we shouldn’t have built it because it isn’t very used right now.

15. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post

*cough* streetcar

Quote Originally Posted by taha View Post
    I believe the city should fund what is used. Sissortail park is a huge draw and should be fully funded by the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    I believe the city should fund what is used. Sissortail park is a huge draw and should be fully funded by the city.
    That's what you took from this? Not that the park is more successful than they ever thought? They will get the maintenance down, but it is a HUGE positive that the park is always so busy.

Go to Central Park. There are parts of it that are very bad and ugly. They do their best to keep it clean, but sometimes they can't keep up.

When does the splash pad open? Anyone know?

https://freepressokc.com/scissortail...ith-heavy-use/

Good to see a concert scheduled

OKC Philharmonic
    Sunday, May 21 | 8:30pm
    Love’s Travel Stops Stage and Great Lawn

https://scissortailpark.org/events/s...nce=2023-05-21

Press release:

April 21, 2023
    2023 Scissortail Park Concerts presented by American Fidelity debuts in May
    This year’s series begins with community favorite, OKC Phil (5/21) and a new Bluegrass Night
    featuring 14-time Grammy-award winning artist, Jerry Douglas Band (5/26)

OKLAHOMA CITY – Scissortail Park’s popular free summer concert series returns in May to the Love’s Travel Stops Stage and Great Lawn. Scissortail Park Concerts presented by American Fidelity is supported by Ad Astra Foundation, First Fidelity Bank, Richard and Glenna Tanenbaum, Flight, Omni Oklahoma City Hotel, BancFirst, INSURICA, MUSE Downtown Apartments, and Miller Pro AVL. Concerts are free and open to the public.

The 2023 season begins with community favorite, the OKC Philharmonic directed by Alexander Mickelthwate on Sunday, May 21. The following Friday, May 26 welcomes Dobro master and 14-time Grammy-award winner, Jerry Douglas Band with special guests, Oklahoma-based band, Midnight Hollow performing in the first Bluegrass Night at the Park.

“To keep our free outdoor concert series fresh and interesting for the community, we are incorporating several new musical genres into this year’s schedule,” said Maureen Heffernan, CEO of Myriad Gardens Foundation and Scissortail Park Foundation. “We are happy to welcome our friends from the Oklahoma City Philharmonic back for another exciting concert series at Scissortail Park. They help to anchor our lineup with performances in May and September. We’re also thrilled to add Grammy award-winning bluegrass superstar, Jerry Douglas along with local talent, Midnight Hollow. Thanks to our generous sponsors, we are securing our other acts for the season and will announce those soon.”

The Scissortail Park Concerts series run May through September 2022. Additional announcements coming soon. See scissortailpark.org/calendar for more information.

MAY CONCERTS 2023
    OKC Philharmonic
    Sunday, May 21 | 8:30pm
    Tracing its roots back to the city’s first professional orchestra in 1924, the Oklahoma City Philharmonic formed in 1988 under the musical direction of Joel Levine with the help of dedicated civic leaders and corporations. In 2018, Alexander Mickelthwate was named the second music director of the Oklahoma City Philharmonic.

Throughout the years, the orchestra has performed a diverse selection of music with many different stars. The Oklahoma City Philharmonic has appeared on PBS with Michael Martin Murphey in a performance titled “Sagebrush Symphony” for the nationally syndicated program “Austin City Limits.” Kathie Lee Gifford chose the OKC PHIL to perform for her internationally broadcast CBS Christmas special “Just in Time for Christmas.” Guest artists have included Itzhak Perlman, Amy Grant, Yo Yo Ma, Joshua Bell, Tony Bennett, Olivia Newton-John, Bebe Neuwirth, Sir James Galway, Chris Botti, Renee Fleming and most recently Kristin Chenoweth, Kelli O’Hara, Pink Martini, and Ben Folds.

Bluegrass Night at the Park
    Featuring Jerry Douglas Band with Midnight Hollow
    Friday, May 26 | 8pm
    Jerry Douglas is a bandleader, producer, session musician, instructor, and a very funny guy! He’s produced over a hundred albums and he’s featured on over 1,600 studio albums. He’s a member of Alison Kraus & Union Station, co-bandleader for Transatlantic Sessions in the United Kingdom, founder for the Grammy winner bluegrass super-group The Earls of Leicester, and he leads The Jerry Douglas Band.

Since 2017, The Jerry Douglas Band has been forging new paths into the musical horizon with deep roots in bluegrass and folk that spreads out into the Americana and jazz landscapes. In 2021, The Jerry Douglas Band released an album, Leftover Feelings, with legendary singer songwriter John Hiatt. The album was nominated for a 2022 Grammy for “Best Americana Album,” and their previous record What If also received a Grammy nomination for “Best Contemporary Instrumental Album.” They perform at some of the top US festivals such as Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Pilgrimage Music Festival, Big Ears Festival, DelFest, FreshGrass, Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival, Merlefest, and many others. In addition to Douglas, The Jerry Douglas Band includes Daniel Kimbro on bass, Christian Sedelmyer on fiddle, and Mike Seal on guitar.

Oklahoma-based bluegrass band, Midnight Hollow features a mix of original, contemporary, and traditional bluegrass music. Midnight Hollow includes Joey Shann on banjo and reso guitar, Chance Coppedge on bass, Joe Kahlden on guitar, and Sam Conrey on mandolin.

Sponsorship opportunities are still available to support the Scissortail Park Concerts 2023 series. Please contact Cayla Lewis, Associate Director of Development at clewis@scissortailpark.org or call 405.764.0236 for more information.

About Scissortail Park
    Scissortail Park is in the heart of a revitalized downtown Oklahoma City. The public green space provides a healthy and vibrant quality of life for our city while serving as an investment in the future for everyone. Every detail of the Park is designed for connection – with nature, neighbors, and ourselves. It is a place for play, culture, celebration, and inspiration.

The 36-acre Upper Park opened in September 2019 followed by the opening of the 32-acre Lower Park in September 2022.

The downtown oasis features a variety of engaging experiences ranging from ornamental gardens and woodlands to a lake and boathouse. Scissortail Park offers visitors walking and biking paths, a children’s playground, a Nature Play Area, a performance stage and great lawn, a seasonal outdoor roller rink, an enclosed dog park, interactive fountains, and sports courts including a turf soccer pitch, grass practice field, four pickleball courts, a futsal court, and two basketball courts. A grand promenade connects both sections of the Park via the Skydance Bridge providing guests with a walking and bike path extending all the way from downtown to the Oklahoma River trails.

Designed by one of the foremost landscape architecture planning firms in the world, Hargreaves Jones Associates, the Park is also a horticultural tapestry of native prairie grasses, lush flower gardens, and tree-lined walkways.

Scissortail Park is managed on behalf of the City of Oklahoma City by Scissortail Park Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.

Together we have created something spectacular. For everyone.

Man, that pavillion come this time next year is going to be jumping. NBA playoff basketball is really going to bring this place overwhelming life.

Two things I love about Scissortail Park:

1. The sense of community it brings.
    2. Reminds me how diverse OKC really is.

Hopefully the Great Lawn is getting a nice break with this rain. A huge swath of it was dirt/sand due to the constant use this early Spring. People playing cleated sports should probably be banned here. I saw multiple flag-football and ultimate frisbee tournaments where cleats were common.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Hopefully the Great Lawn is getting a nice break with this rain. A huge swath of it was dirt/sand due to the constant use this early Spring. People playing cleated sports should probably be banned here. I saw multiple flag-football and ultimate frisbee tournaments where cleats were common.
    It's Bermuda though. Once it starts getting hot, it'll self repair in pretty impressive fashion

Splash pad opens in may

Thread Information