Page 70 of 149 FirstFirst ... 206566676869707172737475120 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    You gotta stop with the "OUr"
    ....OUr

Lol....BOOMER

I can't be mad because its not like a rivalry really exists.....pokes have to win before I can be mad for any hate!

2. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    OKC track record on development/redevelopment does not illicit confidence (mine) in either timely or transformational development outcomes. Look for a modest, uninspired, fill-in effort. Same for the cotton seed area. OKC just does not go big on development
    I'm shocked.

If I cared more I'd go through some threads related to Jones Assembly, West Village (Hall Capital) and Midtown Renaissance (tons of high-quality projects), and I'm sure I'd find similar comments and poormouthing from you about THOSE efforts.

3. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_on_mines View Post
    ....OUr

Lol....BOOMER

I can't be mad because its not like a rivalry really exists.....pokes have to win before I can be mad for any hate!
    I'm an OU fan..... It is just really unnecessary to "OUr" on every sentence you post in random threads.

On another note. I can't wait to see this park even though I didn't care for the naming.

I just assumed it was just being autocorrected, but it does irritate me, especially it is intentional.

^^^^unnecessary for yOU but not for me. But we can agree to disagree.

After much discussion about the name of the park I actually like the name. I do wish we cOUld have included renovations to Union Station thOUgh!

6. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Well, I'm just going to keep on assuming you don't have anything intellectual to say then. Thanks.

Wait, and yOUr assumption is supposed to influence me how? I cannot do anything to change your opinion nor do i care to. Have a blessed day thOUgh sir!

^^^^unnecessary for yOU but not for me. But we can agree to disagree.
    Nah. I mean, in the scheme of things, that's pretty unimportant - but for reasons I can't properly explain, it really is oddly annoying. I mean, if you're doing that in a sports thread, discussing OU sportsball, okay, sure. But I don't see the point to inserting that into posts wherever possible, especially because your posts are otherwise generally pretty thoughtful and add to the conversation. I'm not really much of a sports fan though, and could care less about the OU/OSU rivalry, so maybe that's why I don't get it. *shrug* Anyway, that's all I'll say about that. :P

As for the park, I'm impressed with how quickly they seem to be moving on this, even though the upper park isn't scheduled to open for at least a year and a half. I assume the power poles crossing the park along what used to be SW 4th St will be removed when the substation move is complete, right?

9. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Wait, and yOUr assumption is supposed to influence me how? I cannot do anything to change your opinion nor do i care to. Have a blessed day thOUgh sir!
    It's not supposed to influence you in anyway unless you let it. It's just pretty hard to take you seriously when you are doing that in a thread that has literally nothing to do with that team though.
    Act like a child when confronted about it. It's what yOU will do.

It's annoying because it's like someone randomly yelling BOOMER or TRUMP or anything else that doesn't have anything to do with what anybody is actually talking about.

This:

is really no different than going:

Wait, and yTRUMPr assumption is supposed to influence me how? I cannot do anything to change yTRUMPr opinion nor do i care to. Have a blessed day thTRUMPgh sir!

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I wonder if they're holding this land to sell the city for a new NBA arena. We're going to start having discussions relatively soon (4-5 years) about the need to begin planning for a new arena and the Thunder will want to keep the team downtown.
    Unless at some point the Peake can't be renovated to conform to fit some new revenue generating upgrade that other arenas are able to add thus putting the Peake at a disadvantage (like the inability for Seattle to add more suites and lodge boxes to Key Arena) or the capacity leaves the market way underserved, this just isn't the case. I doubt we need a new arena for at least 20-30 years unless some crazy new innovation comes along. As of right now, no other city is including anything like that that couldn't be added to the Peake. I think everyone needs to calm their fears about needing a new arena anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Unless at some point the Peake can't be renovated to conform to fit some new revenue generating upgrade that other arenas are able to add thus putting the Peake at a disadvantage (like the inability for Seattle to add more suites and lodge boxes to Key Arena) or the capacity leaves the market way underserved, this just isn't the case. I doubt we need a new arena for at least 20-30 years unless some crazy new innovation comes along. As of right now, no other city is including anything like that that couldn't be added to the Peake. I think everyone needs to calm their fears about needing a new arena anytime soon.
    This.

It seems like a lot of people on this site don't understand why so many new NBA arenas were built in the 90s and 2000s. It wasn't just because of the age of the previous arenas. Unless some new innovation comes along that the Peake cannot be retrofitted with, I don't see any reason that the city needs to worry about replacing it.

I think they had the smarts to consider future upgrade needs in mind when initially building the thing, and it has served us well.

14. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Agree 100%

I could see the team wanting a big renovation / upgrade in the coming years but suites and capacity are the biggest things and the Peake is already well set in that respect.

Might need to do some big cosmetic things to keep them happy but that is relatively easy to address.

16. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not worried at all, nor am I saying a new arena is needed in 4-5 years. I said i bet a *discussion* about the need for a new one starts to happen in 4-5 years. Considering the rapid growth of the NBA and increasing efforts by each team to bring in new revenue, I think this is reasonable. It would take a least another 10 years after the discussion begins to open an arena., likely 15 years.

I would hope that the parking lot will have been developed by then into something great, but we've seen other prime properties sit uselessly for quite awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not worried at all, nor am I saying a new arena is needed in 4-5 years. I said i bet a *discussion* about the need for a new one starts to happen in 4-5 years. Considering the rapid growth of the NBA and increasing efforts by each team to bring in new revenue, I think this is reasonable. It would take a least another 10 years after the discussion begins to open an arena., likely 15 years.

I would hope that the parking lot will have been developed by then into something great, but we've seen other prime properties sit uselessly for quite awhile.
    I understood what you meant and thats just it, there aren't any new revenue generating upgrades being made now or in the foreseeable future that couldn’t be added to the current building. Something significant would have to change in arena revenue generation models to even warrant initiating that discussion. Capacity might be an issue at some point, but realistically the team is probably going to go through a pretty big transition period after about 5-10 years so the direction we go after that point along with the state of the NBA and the OKC economy will likely dictate whether an increase in capacity will even be needed. From both a PR perspective, it’s much better to have an 18,203 seat arena that constantly sells out than a 23,000 seat arena that always has tons of empty seats. I could see a facelift being needed during that timeframe or immediately thereafter but really, the shine is still wearing off the most recent upgrades. The arena really looks great inside and out. Additionally, with large arenas in the planning stages at the fairgrounds and in Norman and with the BOK up the turnpike, who’s to say that the Thunder wouldn’t have a few other somewhat comparable venues to play in for a season or two while the Peake was demolished and rebuilt on the current site, which is about as good as you can get in the CBD for an arena (especially when the CC and park are completed). Sure attendance would dip for one season and potentially all or part of the next, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world. Look at Madison Square Garden, it’s undergone many massive renovations but was built in such a way that it could continually be upgraded at the same site to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    OKC track record on development/redevelopment does not illicit confidence (mine) in either timely or transformational development outcomes. Look for a modest, uninspired, fill-in effort. Same for the cotton seed area. OKC just does not go big on development
    Doesn't elicit confidence. Illicit would mean the confidence is crooked.

Dear god.

Please! Just stop. It's infantile.

the area looks like a total construction site at full speed. i have a feeling the electric sub-station will begin demolition in the next few days/weeks.

I was downtown last night and walked all around a couple of hours before the Thunder game.

There were people *everywhere* and particularly at the Myriad Gardens.

I think this park is going to see far more use than people may believe. There are just so many people downtown these days and considering the heavy programming and near constant use at the MBG, Scissortail will likely the place for people to throw the frisbee, kick the soccer ball and get in some serious walking, especially when the lower park opens all the way to the river.

Credit to all those who saw the potential in this area because you can see the vision starting to take shape in real time.

I think this park will be the main reason some people come downtown because of its size. I’m someone that only goes downtown for thunder games and special dinner occasions, but I definitely see my trips increasing once this park opens because it will be massive and have a little bit of everything.

Thread Information