Widgets Magazine
Page 80 of 149 FirstFirst ... 307576777879808182838485130 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

Now when trees are planted, will they all be small and we will need to wait a few years for everything to grow or are they planning on transplanting some more mature trees?

Awesome Pic! It's really coming together.

@PaddyShack: I believe the selected trees are already maturing on a tree farm and will be transplanted. They won't be huge but many of them will be larger than say, the project180 trees when they were planted.

Too soon to do a before & after side by side shot before any construction/demo took place?

wait... there is a 70 acre park coming??? lol just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Thats what happens when you do little but play video games wearing a headset, watch binge watching shows, You Tube and think reading is scrolling through the memes on your social media. lts not just younger people, though. My 60 year old brother only gets news from PBS and Steven Colbert. He doesn't have a clue what's going on locally.
    Yeah, I don’t think YouTube, social media, and video games are the problem. Most people don’t know about downtown development. I doubt things have ever been much different. This site is the 1% on being informed on core developments.

After viewing The Gathering Place in Tulsa it makes me curious how the amount of trees/vegetation planted at Scissortail Park will compare. There is a lot of space at Scissortail that will need a ton of plantings. Anxious to see the plantings.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    After viewing The Gathering Place in Tulsa it makes me curious how the amount of trees/vegetation planted at Scissortail Park will compare. There is a lot of space at Scissortail that will need a ton of plantings. Anxious to see the plantings.
    I asked a representative if Scissortail Park the other day and he said there would be 1000 trees planted this fall of varying sizes.

Interesting. Kinda has a Sputnik kinda feel to it from the renderings in that article. It has the potential to be a very cool installation, though it's suspended nature means it might limit photo opportunities. One of the big draws of public art like Chicago's Cloud Gate (The bean) is you can walk right up to it, where this "Taking Flight" sculpture would be over your head. I like it regardless though, and the perforated design to allow light to filter through seems very interesting!

I don't care too much for it because it looks like Sputnik... I like the scale of it but I agree with baralheia on the limited photo opportunities...

I hope this is not approved. Not because it's not cool but as was mentioned it has limited photo opportunities. It needs to be a large piece of art where taking photo is quick and easy!

Looks great in my opinion. As far as worry about photo opportunities, i understand the concern but I’d rather have this than nothing.

Blog Entries

there is a public art requirement. there won't be nothing.

Blog Entries

The artwork, trees and coordination around the park will be IMO a key element among the collective developments in the core (Project 180, boulevard, streetcar, convention center...). Excited to see the pieces of this puzzle begin to come together.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Half the trees at Gathering Place were already there. The newer ones planted are the areas that used to be a big lawn closer to Riverside. They planted larger caliper new trees and hopefully will do the same at Scissortail since that area is a literal blank slate.

On July 25, 2018 the Selection Committee received conceptual design reports from the four finalist artists/artist teams. The proposal “Taking Flight” by StudioKCA was determined to best meet the criteria for the project. The Committee instructed the Arts Liaison to request modifications to and clarification of certain aspects of the report, which were agreed to by StudioKCA.
    Budget is not to exceed $500,000. This is part of the 1% of all public projects has to be devoted to public art initiative.

It instantly looked like Sputnik to me as well.

Interesting touch that the rendering had about 50X as many stars as you'd ever be able to see in downtown Oklahoma City.

20. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Trees have started to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It instantly looked like Sputnik to me as well.
    I say Nyet to this design.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Trees have started to arrive.
    You can see them staging the trees here:

Noticed the tree plantings taking place last Saturday. Was hoping the trees would be taller but I suppose they'll grow in due time. I wonder what the growth rate will be on the plantings.

Yes, they have been planting them on the north side of the hill. You can see the holes in the photo above.

I wonder if they have a water drip system for each planting. Surely they do.

Thread Information