Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I disagree. I think it could be a novel feature.
    You think a 30 foot high mound of dirt along the boulvard is novel? You should have no problem with the convention center location then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I got this idea from visiting Monaco, all of their parking garages are underground, even for the tour busses.
    Those are built into an exiting hill sides aren't they? Monaco isn't exactly the rolling plains.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Those are built into an exiting hill sides aren't they? Monaco isn't exactly the rolling plains.
    Inside the mountain, but this does not need to be next to the boulvard, no one said that, have it down a block to the south and on the east side of the park. Yukon has a 'Boot Hill' in its city park. You can stand on the top and see the entire town over the tree tops. It's probably 3 stories tall. You can see it on google maps. Whenever it snows, there's a thousand people up there sledding.....

4. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Inside the mountain, but this does not need to be next to the boulvard, no one said that, have it down a block to the south and on the east side of the park. Yukon has a 'Boot Hill' in its city park. You can stand on the top and see the entire town over the tree tops. It's probably 3 stories tall. You can see it on google maps. Whenever it snows, there's a thousand people up there sledding.....
    Ah. I see where you are going with this. I like that idea.

The entire East side could front the street, with entrance and exit on just one side. If the east end was actually open, that would significantly solve ventilation issues. Only 90 percent would be covered with park like features. But the sledding towards the North, which is the shade side, would be an outstanding draw. Now the Bricktoen ballpark folks may not like it. I still think in the long run it would be a successful revenue stream.

All things considered, it seems doubtful that any politico in the near future would get on board the idea of building a big mound of dirt in or close to downtown OKC. Things dinna turn out so well the last time that was tried.

No matter where you put it some street surrounding the park is going to front a 30 foot parking garage. Now if you want a tall mound of dirt that people can sled down with a view, look south of the river and east of I-35.

No matter where you put it some street surrounding the park is going to front a 30 foot parking garage. Now if you want a tall mound of dirt that people can sled down with a view, look south of the river and east of I-35.
    Now that could be a revenue source for that place in the winter...? Except that dirt pile is a little high.

They could make a pretty good toboggan run on it.

"Uh, anyone got a snowmobile to take me back to the top?!"

Didn't one of the plans for the park have an underground parking at one time, I think they only started shying away from the idea when they looked at the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Didn't one of the plans for the park have an underground parking at one time, I think they only started shying away from the idea when they looked at the costs.
    Yes - parking underground was too expensive. Convention center underground - no problem.

I am a little confused by this quote in the Oklahoman about the park:

"Hargreaves Associates, the consultancy selected by the city to develop the master plan for the 70-acre, $80 million park, made its first full presentation Wednesday to the MAPS 3 Citizen Advisory Board's park subcommittee.

Wasn't the plan for it to be $130 million? Maybe $80 mil for the north and $50 mil for the south part?

Read more: http://newsok.com/planners-eye-flexi...#ixzz21kOdYGj3

Start looking through the minutes of subcommittee meetings - I bet that money was quietly "donated" to the convention center....... hopefully the $80 million was a misprint???

The south park design will take place at a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Start looking through the minutes of subcommittee meetings - I bet that money was quietly "donated" to the convention center....... hopefully the $80 million was a misprint???
    the presentation was only for the north park

17. Default Re: Central Park

This will be a great addition to downtown and only enhance the overall value of Oklahoma City. I'm really excited about the future of OKC and can't wait to see this in action!

I see what you all are saying but isn't the 70 acres for the whole (south & north) park? If the $80 million is just for the North part, it should read the acreage for just that part of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    I see what you all are saying but isn't the 70 acres for the whole (south & north) park? If the $80 million is just for the North part, it should read the acreage for just that part of it...
    I'm with you Larry. If we have learned nothing else over the last 6 months it is that you can't assume anything - anything. Maybe it was a mistake to associate the total acerage with just the funds for the north part, but who knows anymore. If the flag isn't raised every single time you can bet your *** that someone in the future will wiggle out some kind of excuse that the funding cut was 'announced' already.

I'm with you Larry. If we have learned nothing else over the last 6 months it is that you can't assume anything - anything.
    This is unfortunately true. When City Hall has lost our trust in as dramatic fashion as they have, questions like this do become much more legitimate.

JTF & Spartan

That is why I have taken to "presuming" rather than "assuming".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvTwv5o1Qs

MAPS 3 Update: 8/20/2012

Public input sought on MAPS 3 Downtown Park design

Everyone is invited to a community meeting to provide information and solicit design and programming ideas for the 70-acre MAPS 3 Downtown Park.

The meeting will be held from 6 – 8:30 p.m. on September 13 in the fourth floor auditorium of the Downtown Library, 300 Park Avenue.

“We want to hear everyone’s ideas on how this iconic park should look and function,” Mayor Mick Cornett said. “Our goal is to design a unique gathering space that will be a frequent destination for residents and set Oklahoma City apart from other cities.”

The $132 million park is made up of a 40-acre upper section and a 30-acre lower section which is connected by Oklahoma City Skydance Bridge. The park is within the boundaries of Hudson to the west, Robinson to the east the Oklahoma City Boulevard to the north and the Oklahoma River on the south.

Land acquisition for the upper park is 95 percent complete and construction is expected to begin in 2013. The meeting will be facilitated by park consultant Hargreaves Associates.

Start with what has already been bought and paid for...Core to Shore and the revamp already done for the MAPS 3 campaign...if there is strong public rejection to some specific element, eliminate it it but overall the voters gave their approval based on what they were told was going to be in it. And as I said, that is the starting point. If something wasn't included and there is strong public support for it, then add it in.

Somehow I keep hearing the Dixie Chicks singing Wide Open Spaces and that line about Room to make her big mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    MAPS 3 Update: 8/20/2012

Public input sought on MAPS 3 Downtown Park design

Everyone is invited to a community meeting to provide information and solicit design and programming ideas for the 70-acre MAPS 3 Downtown Park.

The meeting will be held from 6 – 8:30 p.m. on September 13 in the fourth floor auditorium of the Downtown Library, 300 Park Avenue.

“We want to hear everyone’s ideas on how this iconic park should look and function,” Mayor Mick Cornett said. “Our goal is to design a unique gathering space that will be a frequent destination for residents and set Oklahoma City apart from other cities.”

The $132 million park is made up of a 40-acre upper section and a 30-acre lower section which is connected by Oklahoma City Skydance Bridge. The park is within the boundaries of Hudson to the west, Robinson to the east the Oklahoma City Boulevard to the north and the Oklahoma River on the south.

Land acquisition for the upper park is 95 percent complete and construction is expected to begin in 2013. The meeting will be facilitated by park consultant Hargreaves Associates.
    Oklahoma City Blvd looks even worse in print than I thought it would....

Thread Information