Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 149 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282974124 ... LastLast

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

I moved all the posts about the Film Exchange Building (old) to a new thread specifically for that structure:

Film Exchange Building (old) - OKCTalk

Note, this is for the OLD Film Exchange Building; the new (relatively speaking) Film Exchange Building is on Film Row at 700 W. Sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    Was a golf course ever discussed with this project? Would be really cool to have a downtown course.
    That's a great idea. New Orleans's Audubon Park has a par-62 course. New Orleans Golf | Audubon Nature Institute

I'm sorry, but I think the park area is just too small to justify having a golf course there.

Doesn't have to be in this park. Could be connected or anywhere else downtown.

I wonder if a downtown golf course would be profitable enough to justify land assembly somewhere like maybe south of Classen-Ten-Penn or maybe east Reno. I could see it being a good linkage between Bricktown, OUHSC, and JFK.

Obviously everyone's going to say yeah the downtown business folk would patronize it, and surely they would for an extended lunch etc, but urban land assembly for something that large would be prohibitively expensive.

Still, that's the kind of out of the box ideas we should be talking about on here!

Golf course? No thanks. Waste of land and resources. I think all the pesticides and fertilizers needed that close to the river isn't a good idea anyway. South of Classen-Ten-Penn? There are neighborhoods there.
    Besides, there are more golf courses than McDonald's in the US already, and the James E. Stewart golf course is already less than two miles from downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    Golf course? No thanks. Waste of land and resources. I think all the pesticides and fertilizers needed that close to the river isn't a good idea anyway. South of Classen-Ten-Penn? There are neighborhoods there.
    Besides, there are more golf courses than McDonald's in the US already, and the James E. Stewart golf course is already less than two miles from downtown.
    That settles it, I am all in for a downtown golf course. Glad you are too.

I always appreciate Platemaker's perspective

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    Doesn't have to be in this park. Could be connected or anywhere else downtown.
    I believe there is one about a mile East of bricktown.

10. Default Re: Central Park

"Waste of land" sounds especially funny when referring to stuff in the OKC metro.

Blog Entries

Wasn't the Native American Cultural Center planning on an eventual hotel and golf course as part of its full development as a destination?

12. Default Re: Central Park

It was a part of the original pitch, but if memory serves it was cut out very early on. I could be wrong about that, but THINK it is no longer a part of the plan.

Is Stewart really that much of an unknown?

View of downtown from Douglass Park. Douglass Park is just east of Stewart Golf course. This is the largest image I could find... sorry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	douglass park.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	4257
    If you incorporate Douglass Park you could make a 18-hole course, but I-35 divides the two areas. Unlike 32nd Street at Will Rogers Park, there isn't a road under the interstate to make that possible now.

Does anyone have an idea about what portion of the population would be served by inclusion of a golf course in Central Park? My initial reaction is to assume it would be a waste of space that could be put to much better use, but I don't actually know how the numbers work out so that reaction may be totally incorrect.

Maybe a disc golf course...

Quote Originally Posted by platemaker View Post
    golf course? No thanks. Waste of land and resources. I think all the pesticides and fertilizers needed that close to the river isn't a good idea anyway. South of classen-ten-penn? There are neighborhoods there.
    besides, there are more golf courses than mcdonald's in the us already, and the james e. Stewart golf course is already less than two miles from downtown.
    wat

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    wat
    All I was trying to say is there are already plenty of golf courses with the McDonald's factoid. More than 17,000 courses in the US... less than 14,000 McDonald's.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    All I was trying to say is there are already plenty of golf courses with the McDonald's factoid. More than 17,000 courses in the US... less than 14,000 McDonald's.
    Oh, I would've never guessed there would be that many golf courses. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Wasn't the Native American Cultural Center planning on an eventual hotel and golf course as part of its full development as a destination?
    They need to get a Center of some kind open first... Priorities, you know.

Blog Entries

Yeah, that train is off the track right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It was a part of the original pitch, but if memory serves it was cut out very early on. I could be wrong about that, but THINK it is no longer a part of the plan.
    IIRC, you are both correct...

They are tearing down more buildings for the park.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    They are tearing down more buildings for the park.
    Can you clear your statement up? Are they finally tearing down the Salvation Army buildings or which buildings might you be referring to and are they in the process of that as we speak or are you saying they will be tearing down more buildings for the park?

25. Default Re: Central Park

Curt, let me know if there is anything I can help with in the pursuit of saving the Film Exchange.

Thread Information