Widgets Magazine
Page 97 of 149 FirstFirst ... 479293949596979899100101102147 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

It would be amazing if they finished this on time. That section just to the south of the splash pad doesn't look like it will be ready. Its a construction storage area by the look of things.

There's going to be more last-minute construction done on this park than some Olympics facilities lol

I don't like last-minute rushed construction. I believe short cuts are taken and quality suffers.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    I don't like last-minute rushed construction. I believe short cuts are taken and quality suffers.
    Agreed.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Scissortail Park

Definitely don't want to take any shortcuts that affect quality just to get the upper park opened to meet a promised opening.

Scissortail Park when completed will encompass 70 acres (Upper & lower park); its ceremonial opening will allow for an early upper park preview.

We'll probably see something similar to the opening of the boulevard; not quite fully functional; however an opening to at least get things kicked off that will allow for minor upper park adjustments.

Yeah, not as far along as I thought they would get at this point. I still say if they can get that middle section wrapped up in a couple weeks, that will be a nice appetizer for the finished product. The whole area is still such a massive construction site anyway with everything across the street. I think the public will understand that it is a work in progress.

It's annoying that they will probably still be finishing that lower east corner into next year though.

The weather has not been conducive to completing this project. The past 8 months have sucked, weather-wise. Rain every day for 3 months, then brutal heat, then rain every day for 2 weeks, it seems. Not really easy on landscaping.

In 5 to 10 years when plants and trees have matured these downtown views will be stunning!

So the lower portion will start soon now that the upper park is almost finished?

Goodwill teams up with Scissortail Park to provide jobs to employees

OKLAHOMA CITY – As Scissortail Park prepares for its grand opening later this month, a new partnership has been announced to create new jobs.

On Tuesday, Goodwill Industries of Central Oklahoma and Scissortail Park announced that they were joining forces.

“Goodwill has a long and successful history in Oklahoma City of working with individuals facing challenges to employment, and we see this partnership as a great opportunity to further our mission,” Goodwill Industries of Central Oklahoma President & CEO Mark Barth said. “As part of that great tradition, we are thrilled to work together with Scissortail Park on this new venue in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City, bringing together and supporting local communities and citizens.”
    - https://kfor.com/2019/09/10/goodwill...-to-employees/

--------

I am not a fan of Goodwill but this seems good for the park.

This is gonna be so great!

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Definitely don't want to take any shortcuts that affect quality just to get the upper park opened to meet a promised opening.

Scissortail Park when completed will encompass 70 acres (Upper & lower park); its ceremonial opening will allow for an early upper park preview.

We'll probably see something similar to the opening of the boulevard; not quite fully functional; however an opening to at least get things kicked off that will allow for minor upper park adjustments.
    Looks like they already took a shortcut with that small stage. Looking at those pics put it in perspective and that stage is in no way meant for any big time concerts. Surely they have a way to expand it when needed or if they plan to have big time concerts.

Looks like a good schedule.. I am sure I will make it one of the days. Not sure I will fight the crowds for kings of leon but my Friend Carter Sampson plays on Saturday so will probably make that for sure.

17. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Looks like they already took a shortcut with that small stage. Looking at those pics put it in perspective and that stage is in no way meant for any big time concerts. Surely they have a way to expand it when needed or if they plan to have big time concerts.
    First sentence, no there were not shortcuts taken. Second sentence, maybe. Third sentence, there was a building permit approved to build a stage for the concert.

I got to tour the park the other day, and while there were some loose ends that still needed to be tied up, I can assure you there weren't any shortcuts taken in designing this park. It will be amazing - especially in a year or two when the vegetation starts to mature.

Yeah, it's really very well done.

Tons of small elements like pavers everywhere, all types of shade structures, tons of benches and lighting and of course a tremendous amount of landscaping.

It's going to look a little bare for a while just because the vegetation needs to mature and grow, but it's pretty amazing and will serve as an great link from downtown to the river.

Couple Questions. When is the convention center and hotel going to be done. Also is there any plans for a pedestrian/sky bridge from the park to say the arena or hotel or the street car stop. I kind of feel they need one now from the arena to the street car/parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Couple Questions. When is the convention center and hotel going to be done. Also is there any plans for a pedestrian/sky bridge from the park to say the arena or hotel or the street car stop. I kind of feel they need one now from the arena to the street car/parking lot.
    They both will open late 2020.

There will be a traffic light and crosswalk directly from the convention center to the park. Also, there will be the same at the corner of Robinson and the boulevard, so it will be easy to reach the streetcar stop.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    This came up a couple of months ago here. It would be pointless and take up too much room for a large stage that would be rarely used. Its built for more for everyday use by average people. Its not an amphitheater, its a park.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    This came up a couple of months ago here. It would be pointless and take up too much room for a large stage that would be rarely used. Its built for more for everyday use by average people. Its not an amphitheater, its a park.
    In addition, most big acts would want to bring in their own larger stage, like KOL will be doing.

In 5 to 10 years when plants and trees have matured these downtown views will be stunning!
    We just need to add like 6 or 7 BLC (aka non-oil and gas related) companies to the Power Block west of the Park. I'd imagine we're trying?

From Sunday:

Thread Information