Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 1845
  1. #201

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    What's the timeline for closing off and removing the intersectional streets?
    In a presentation to City Council yesterday, they said construction on Phase I (basic park) would be Summer 2013; so less than a year from now.

    They also said they will soon begin acquiring land for the park south of the interstate. I was under the impression the south park was not part of MAPS 3, so I don't understand why this would be part of what they are doing now and they seem to plan on spending MAPS 3 funds to do it.

  2. #202

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    In a presentation to City Council yesterday, they said construction on Phase I (basic park) would be Summer 2013; so less than a year from now.

    They also said they will soon begin acquiring land for the park south of the interstate. I was under the impression the south park was not part of MAPS 3, so I don't understand why this would be part of what they are doing now and they seem to plan on spending MAPS 3 funds to do it.
    The south park is part of MAPS3:

    Budget

    Upper Section Land Acquisition and Site Prep $18,432,000
    Upper Section Phase 1 A&E/Design/Testing/Admin $1,431,000
    Upper Section Phase 1 Construction and FF&E $8,374,000
    Upper Section Phase 1 Project Contingency $539,000
    Upper Section Phase 2 A&E/Design/Testing/Admin $10,393,000
    Upper Section Phase 2 Construction and FF&E $57,652,000
    Upper Section Phase 2 Project Contingency $3,710,000
    Lower Section Land Acquisition and Site Prep $13,470,000
    Lower Section A&E/Design/Testing/Admin $3,105,000
    Lower Section Construction and FF&E $14,151,000
    Lower Section Project Contingency $911,000


    Total $132,168,000

  3. #203

    Default Re: Central Park

    Thanks for the info.

    It's good we are doing this so far in advance. The C2S stuff will only take shape with these parks largely in place.

  4. #204

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Just tossing this out there for an idea for our park. I absolutely love this.


    https://plus.google.com/photos/10348...62498457951298
    Barry will be implementing those mandatory in his 2nd term, but seriously those are cool!

  5. #205

    Default Re: Central Park

    political barf cleanup on aisle three please. barf cleanup on aisle three please.



    back on topic .. last time I was in OKC I drove around the upper park area. Aside from Union Station, it's got no where to go but up. I look forward to taking the next generation there for playtime in a few years.

  6. #206

    Default Re: Central Park

    I was in Overland Park Kansas this past weekend attending one of my daughter's soccer tournaments. They have a world class soccer complex there. OKC and the proposed new Central Park could benefit from having a venue like this. It would be a great draw and revenue generating facility. Hosting regional tournaments and local soccer club activities year round...

    Link Overland Park Soccer Complex...

    About the Soccer Complex – City of Overland Park

  7. Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by architect5311 View Post
    I was in Overland Park Kansas this past weekend attending one of my daughter's soccer tournaments. They have a world class soccer complex there. OKC and the proposed new Central Park could benefit from having a venue like this. It would be a great draw and revenue generating facility. Hosting regional tournaments and local soccer club activities year round...
    That is what is proposed (or atleast was at one time) for Prominade Park that will be on the south side of I-40 (connected by the I-40 pedestrian bridge).

  8. #208

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    That is what is proposed (or atleast was at one time) for Prominade Park that will be on the south side of I-40 (connected by the I-40 pedestrian bridge).
    Could you refresh my memory with old renderings if they are at your disposal? Thanks.

  9. Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Could you refresh my memory with old renderings if they are at your disposal? Thanks.
    You can see it here. Sorry, it is a big file. The northwest part of the park has 6 soccer fields. There are also 4 baseball fields adjacent and 2 tennis courts and 2 basketball courts near by. You can see them on Pg 48 of the PDF file.

    http://www.okc.gov/planning/coretosh...ePlan_2008.pdf

  10. #210

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by architect5311 View Post
    I was in Overland Park Kansas this past weekend attending one of my daughter's soccer tournaments. They have a world class soccer complex there. OKC and the proposed new Central Park could benefit from having a venue like this. It would be a great draw and revenue generating facility. Hosting regional tournaments and local soccer club activities year round...

    Link Overland Park Soccer Complex...

    About the Soccer Complex City of Overland Park
    We already have that at South Lakes Park. City of Oklahoma City | South Lakes Park

  11. #211

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    It is such a beautiful park! It's just too bad it is in Texas.
    I can see where it can be confusing but South Lakes is at SW 119th & Meridian.

  12. Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    It is such a beautiful park! It's just too bad it is in Texas.
    It's just south of Will Rogers airport a few miles.

  13. #213

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    It is such a beautiful park! It's just too bad it is in Texas.
    Don't worry, Sid. I got the joke.

  14. Default Re: Central Park

    WOW. We have had this since 2004???

  15. Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I was going to ask too if there was a stop for it on the Amtrak line. But wasn't sure enough people even knew we had one of those. ;-)
    If we did it would take 9 hours to get there.

    All joking aside, this is where the really large parks should be going, but you shouldn't have to drive your car to it. If anything, this park is way to small. It should be at least 10X to 20X as big as it is and connected to the urban core via an interurban line.

  16. #216

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I was going to ask too if there was a stop for it on the Amtrak line. But wasn't sure enough people even knew we had one of those. ;-)
    yes lots of soccer teams are going to walk to a game ...

  17. Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    yes lots of soccer teams are going to walk to a game ...
    They do in Europe (and the rest of the world for that matter). Maybe that is why their soccer teams are better than ours.

  18. #218

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    So you are telling me I didn't walk to the soccer games in Seattle? Or simply that you wouldn't?
    i'm telling you that in a soccer complex with 16 fields is going to have lots of people drive to the game no matter where you locate it

  19. #219

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    So you are telling me I didn't walk to the soccer games in Seattle? Or simply that you wouldn't?
    show me where i said that ..... ? do you think that you are in the majority or minority?

  20. #220

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    So you are telling me I didn't walk to the soccer games in Seattle? Or simply that you wouldn't?
    Yes, i am telling you that... you skipped merrily... you did not walk!

  21. #221

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    show me where i said that ..... ? do you think that you are in the majority or minority?
    There's nothing special about majority or minority. Heck, our government system is even designed to protect the interests of minorities in the face of oppression by majorities (this is why we have a Republican Democracy). The fact that a majority of people currently prefer to drive does not mean we should continue to mindlessly perpetuate and prefer one mode of transportation to the detriment of others. And the fact that a majority of people prefer to drive is made even less meaningful when you consider that many of them would take up walking if provided the appropriate environment and infrastructure.

  22. #222

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by ethansisson View Post
    There's nothing special about majority or minority. Heck, our government system is even designed to protect the interests of minorities in the face of oppression by majorities (this is why we have a Republican Democracy). The fact that a majority of people currently prefer to drive does not mean we should continue to mindlessly perpetuate and prefer one mode of transportation to the detriment of others. And the fact that a majority of people prefer to drive is made even less meaningful when you consider that many of them would take up walking if provided the appropriate environment and infrastructure.
    show me where to build a 16 field soccer complex that has games all day long where 0 people would have to drive to the games???

  23. Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    show me where to build a 16 field soccer complex that has games all day long where 0 people would have to drive to the games???
    I guess step 1 would be to not build 16 soccer fields in one location. I did a quick search around the world and I can't find any place outside the US that have more than 4 soccer fields in one place.

  24. #224

    Default Re: Central Park

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    show me where to build a 16 field soccer complex that has games all day long where 0 people would have to drive to the games???
    So now you've gone from a majority of people driving to zero people driving? It's helpful to not only think in black-and-white. Like Sid said, the vast majority of our city is dedicated to driving as the only practical transportation, however there are many people here who recognize and desire the many benefits to a lifestyle that involves their feet as their primary mode of transportation. If we refuse to enable different lifestyles in Oklahoma City, everyone will miss out on the advantages and benefits that diversity brings. We need to be a city that attracts urban dwellers or we will fall back into obscurity for rejecting the lifestyle of the majority of the population of the western world.

    I know your point was to say that 16 contiguous soccer fields cannot be built downtown – that's true and I don't think anyone actually wants that – but we can strive for diverse, high-density amenities that include public spaces, large parks, restaurants, residences, and workplaces, all supported by streets and public transportation that encourage walking, whether it be to a destination near or far.

  25. #225

    Default Re: Central Park

    Just posted on Urban Neighbors FB page:

    Conceptual drawings of the MAPS 3 downtown park will be revealed and discussed during a community input meeting at 6 p.m. on October 25. The meeting will be held in the fourth floor auditorium of the Downtown Library, 300 Park Avenue.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Map of Potential Infill Sites in Central OKC
    By shane453 in forum General Real Estate Topics
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
  2. The Lincoln at Central Park / Gardner Tanenbaum project
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 11:58 AM
  3. First MAPS 3 Project (70 Acre Central Park)?
    By G.Walker in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 10:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •