Widgets Magazine
Page 83 of 149 FirstFirst ... 337879808182838485868788133 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

In that last picture Pete posted, behind the Union Station building there are garage doors lined up on the East and South sides against the railroad tracks. Does anyone know what is stored in there? I'm imagining this being like River Market in Kansas City where the whole thing is renovated and the garage doors come up and each door, or maybe every couple doors, are businesses like KC River Market has. Some might be produce/farmers market style, maybe a coffeehouse, board game lounge, bookstore, couple of food places.. Then do a once a month huge farmers market out in that area in general!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kc river market.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	458.8 KB 
ID:	15133

Blog Entries

A few years ago I went on the OKC Architecture Foundation's tour of Union Station and we went back there. Mostly empty/unused with a bit of old junk, back then at least, in the parts of the of the building you mention anyway.

^

I think that back area is empty these days and I'm not sure what they'll do with all that space.

I know back in the day, mail was delivered via rail and then sorted and trucked out of those garage structures.

That whole building is just so great. And it soon will be getting a $10MM renovation.

can someone share the link for the construction webcam?

Quote Originally Posted by Dar405301 View Post
    can someone share the link for the construction webcam?
    Here you go:

https://www.senserasystems.com/publi...d/M68776484796

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Posted this back on pg 75 but I guess it went unnoticed https://www.senserasystems.com/publi...g/M68710754797

There is a second cam that looks southward, pretty neat watching the timelapse of the stage area go up

Why is this random user posting this everywhere? It is very old and completely irrelevant now.

^^^ I agree

The great Lawn and Stage will be able to hold 15,000. Wow. I wonder how views will be and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    The great Lawn and Stage will be able to hold 15,000. Wow. I wonder how views will be and sound.
    I may have missed it but is the ground sloped or flat? That will dictate the views I imagine. Sounds pretty cool.

The other question is will there be a noise ordanance where no loud music after 10pm? Not sure if this has been addressed or even applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I may have missed it but is the ground sloped or flat? That will dictate the views I imagine. Sounds pretty cool.

The other question is will there be a noise ordanance where no loud music after 10pm? Not sure if this has been addressed or even applicable.
    I mean...if Paycom could get a permit to do a concert past 10 p.m. when their headquarters are surrounded by subdivisions and apartments, I would imagine that shouldn't be a problem here. Granted, concerts on the Great Lawn will probably be a much more regular occurrence, but I don't think there are any houses in the vicinity, save for a few in the Strawberry Fields area.

I keep looking at the on-going work at Scissortail Park and I want to be excited about it. The location is great and has super potential. But, BUT it just seems mundane with little to no 'wow' power. I realize it's still many months away from completion and appearances will change. But I'm shaking my head and wondering if the final results with have a 'wow' factor. I hate to admit I'm having my doubts. Hope I'm wrong...way wrong!

Blog Entries

Upper Park grand opening is scheduled for mid-September. Lower Park has two years to go.

Going to take awhile for all the trees to mature and for it to grow into its potential.

Here's a video of executive director Maureen Heffernan giving an update last week about things.

Also don't forget that several improvements were made after MBG re-opened following the 2011 renovation.

Blog Entries

I think this will be a very active park. It isn’t a Disneyland kind of park that some like, but will have plenty of programming. Once the vegitation matures it will be a really good gathering place of activity. For a downtown park, it should be great.

I've been to a few urban parks and I can't for the life of me understand the complaints about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    I've been to a few urban parks and I can't for the life of me understand the complaints about this one.
    It's OKCtalk.com, where the cool thing to do is find the negative in EVERYTHING.

Saying I hope it turns out better once completed wasn't stated as a negative. I even stated, "I hope I'm wrong".
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post

Looks like a construction site right now. I'm sure it will turn out great once Blvd, Convention Center,Omni, and park are all built out and things start to grow.

Right-click and open in a new tab to get a hi-res version.

You can see the large pedestrian promenade starting to take shape in the northeast corner of the park and curving towards Skydance Bridge. Will eventually cross the bridge and run through the lower park, all the way to river.

So cool!! Nice pic, can't wait till the fall!

These are high res (especially the 2nd one) so right-click and open in a new tab to see detail.

Park is really starting to come together.

I truly hope they book big-name acts for that amphitheater. Would be an awesome venue, and would blow the Zoo Amp out of the water! The Zoo Amp is ok, but it is limited in shows it can hold by size.

^

I know one of the reasons they delayed the grand opening celebration was to accommodate a big musical act. Don't know who it is, just told 'big'.

Booking will be by the Jones Assembly guys, so that gives me a lot of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I know one of the reasons they delayed the grand opening celebration was to accommodate a big musical act. Don't know who it is, just told 'big'.

Booking will be by the Jones Assembly guys, so that gives me a lot of hope.
    True. That does give me some hope. I love rock/metal festivals of (probably in the VAST minority on this board), and a lot of them skip the Zoo Amp (the ones OKC gets are smaller in nature) due to its size. This park is not limited by a zoo and Science Museum OK surrounding it.

Thread Information