Widgets Magazine
Page 72 of 149 FirstFirst ... 226768697071727374757677122 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

1. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Look I'm not offended or calling anyone racist. I'm not picking a battle and I'm white. I just thought it was weird that a park that is in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood would have nothing but white folks in the drawings. Just seemed odd to me.

Default Re: Scissortail Park

I went back and looked again and thought there were several non-white figures in the renderings.

^^^

Looking at 3rd pic from the bottom of Pete's post above - Has any major downtown market ever redeveloped over 40 contiguous blocks at the same time? I imagine when WestPark, Scissortail Park, New CC/Omni/Fairfield, Producers Coop, Lumberyard all start moving dirt that OKC will make some major national headlines... In saying that - We have to do this right! Truly hope there is a master plan or at least that all parties are speaking to each other to make sure this is as dramatic a transformation as possible. Great pics Pete as always.

In the first photo Pete posted above ^. There is a decent homeless camp that has been established for a while right there next to the building that is shaped like a half-moon. They have been posted up there throughout all of construction. I am wondering how much longer they can last. It already appears some of the make-shift shelters have moved on. You can see some of the tents/tarps in the third photo.

8. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    In the first photo Pete posted above ^. There is a decent homeless camp that has been established for a while right there next to the building that is shaped like a half-moon. They have been posted up there throughout all of construction. I am wondering how much longer they can last. It already appears some of the make-shift shelters have moved on. You can see some of the tents/tarps in the third photo.
    The building you mention is where Car Doctor used to be. There was always a homeless camp setup in a row of trees just north of it that appears to now be mostly removed. I was wondering pretty much the same thing about that camp when I drove by the other morning and noticed the trees were gone.

The entire block (apart from the one building on the very NW corner) is now owned by Mazaheri and they have the 2.65 acres for sale for $9.235 million.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    the entire block (apart from the one building on the very nw corner) is now owned by mazaheri and they have the 2.65 acres for sale for $9.235 million.
    lol

Blog Entries

Recall in 2014 when we had to park in that area (late Thunder game arrival) where the Car Doctor was located (1st frame, Anonymous mentioned); there were 2 tents there. Paid a guy $5.00 to watch my car and after the game he would get a $5.00 tip following my inspection. He was very dependable. Our walk from there to The Peake was a cold day challenge.

Just want to thank all of the concerned posters for your support following my recent Prostatectomy; my 2nd low PSA count indicates that I'm cancer free. Encourage those of you over 50 to get annual screens & checkups for enlarged prostrate--it doesn't seem like much; but it can be the different between extended life or shorted life expectancy.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    lol
    That Mazaheri asking price ($3.5 million per acre) is well less than what the City paid OG&E ($5.6 million per acre) for the old Gold Building.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That Mazaheri asking price ($3.5 million per acre) is well less than what the City paid OG&E ($5.6 million per acre) for the old Gold Building.
    But Im sure that price had some consideration for the fact they had to move and re-erect the substation and whatever that building did.

I would bet that this property wont sell anytime soon for what theyre asking and when it does, it will be substantially less than what they want now.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    But Im sure that price had some consideration for the fact they had to move and re-erect the substation and whatever that building did.

I would bet that this property wont sell anytime soon for what theyre asking and when it does, it will be substantially less than what they want now.
    The substation deal was completely separate and the City already paid OG&E for that, plus guaranteed any cost overrun.

Blog Entries

The substation deal was completely separate and the City already paid OG&E for that, plus guaranteed any cost overrun.
    So Pete, what is your observation of why they overpaid? Corruption, incompetence, or laziness? Has to be something since you have demonstrated a gross overpayment? What do you know, or what do you suspect about the negotiations?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So Pete, what is your observation of why they overpaid? Corruption, incompetence, or laziness? Has to be something since you have demonstrated a gross overpayment? What do you know, or what do you suspect about the negotiations?
    Just my opinion:
    1. OG&E is way too cozy with the Alliance / OCURA
    2. The City didn't want to take OG&E to court for eminent domain to determine an objective market price for the property (see #1)
    3. The City just threw them a big figure to get the deal done so they could move forward with the convention garage that will go on this site, as the start of its construction is one of the requirements by Omni before they start their hotel

I keep comparables for all downtown property sales and this one -- which fronts Shields and the RR tracks -- sold for more per acre than any other property in the past, and is way, way more per acre than the city offered for the REHCO property that is unquestionably a better site.

Just my opinion:
    1. OG&E is way too cozy with the Alliance / OCURA
    2. The City didn't want to take OG&E to court for eminent domain to determine an objective market price for the property (see #1)
    3. The City just threw them a big figure to get the deal done so they could move forward with the convention garage that will go on this site, as the start of its construction is one of the requirements by Omni before they start their hotel

I keep comparables for all downtown property sales and this one -- which fronts Shields and the RR tracks -- sold for more per acre than any other property in the past, and is way, way more per acre than the city offered for the REHCO property that is unquestionably a better site.
    All of this makes the City sound real shady. If that became public knowledge I'm betting the MAPS votes would take a hit. Honestly already making me question how I'd vote on the next one.

Shady or not, the city offered REHCO $1.1 million per acre for their land between the Myriad Gardens and Scissortail Park, then turned around and paid OG&E over $5.5 million per acre for the garage property. That is a factor of 5X.

Keep in mind the *entire* land acquisition budget for the convention center was $13 million. Yet, the City paid more than $14 million just 2.8 acres for the garage, which is a way higher price than recent comparable sales and certainly way, way more than what the City paid for surrounding properties.

Facts don't lie. I'm glad you put them out there so we can make our own informed opinion. Unfortunately for me OKC was one of the few things I thought was right with this state, and my confidence is waning by the day.

The OG&E property is not vacant land like the REHCO property. IIRC the city is paying relocation costs for a data/control center. I don't think that can be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    The OG&E property is not vacant land like the REHCO property. IIRC the city is paying relocation costs for a data/control center. I don't think that can be ignored.
    This is true.

Here is what was reported by the Oklahoman:

Because OG&E is a utility, O'Connor said, the city is obligated to replace the gold building in order to acquire the property. Couch said the city's share is "well under" OG&E's total cost.

The gold building appraised in June for $6.7 million. In the deal approved Tuesday, the council agreed to pay up to $7,720,000 over the appraisal to cover moving costs.
    I don't know what lengths the city went to in determining that the additional $7.72 million is legitimate but that seems absurdly high given it is just a data center and they City had already paid OG&E $40 million to relocate the substation on top of giving them the land by the river.

BTW, even $6.7 million for just the land comes out to $2.6 million per acre where they had just offered $1.1 million an acre to REHCO then took them to court before dropping the case. (That was $1.1 million per acre not including the various streets and alleys that have subsequently been closed and absorbed into the REHCO holdings. If you include that -- and REHCO argued that you should -- the offer was well below $1 million per acre.)

Also, the City paid much less than this for all the surrounding property, some of which was handled through eminent domain.

OG&E paid $1.3 million an acre for the old Stage Center property.

I will also say that just like the cost of the convention hotel, the City also knew well in advance that the hotel would need a parking garage as part of this deal. They also knew it had to go on the OG&E site.

Omni had just negotiated a very similar deal with Louisville and the parking garage was part of that.

IMO, just another in a very long list of costs the City/Chamber/Alliance didn't divulge while pitching the convention center to voters at $280 million while the price tag is now close to half a billion and steadily rising.

23. Default Re: Scissortail Park

The entire block (apart from the one building on the very NW corner) is now owned by Mazaheri and they have the 2.65 acres for sale for $9.235 million.
    Damn gentrification. ......

24. Default Re: Scissortail Park

ya, I was thinking the same thing Rover. OGE has additions to its property that REICO does not so that has to count for something.

Whether it's 5X per capita is another story, that and this has been handled so hush hush and not part of the cc budget - which was the LEAST favourite MAPS III project. .... shady!

If the hotel + Garage + skywalk is so critical to the success of the cc then why are they not included in the CC budget in much the same way as the OMC and Santa Fe renos are included in the Streetcar budget or the cost of acquisition and equipment is included in the Senior Center budget; both projects who have been 'micromanaged' if you will to the tune of cuts to save cost. The CC should be a $450m+ budget and the sources should have been identified along with MAPS III dollars from the very beginning. .. As i mentioned before, shady!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Cusack Meats demands $100K from OKC

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record January 16, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – A meat processing company is demanding that Oklahoma City Hall pay more than $100,000 for failed negotiations over land once considered for the MAPS 3 park.

Cusack Wholesale Meats Co. submitted the claim in December, following several years of discussions with city officials over the value of the company’s property on S. Harvey Avenue between SW 11th Street and SW 12th Street.

Cusack alleges that the city, via the Urban Renewal Authority, started condemnation proceedings to acquire the property in 2013. The city later abandoned the plan once it was clear the plant could not be removed without paying several million dollars more than originally intended.

The city’s appraisals of the property concluded those 3 acres were worth about $170,000, far less than the company’s own valuation of $7.6 million.

The discrepancy is partly due to Cusask’s history. A company representative told The Journal Record in late 2016 that city officials failed to take into consideration that the company must meet strict inspection standards under the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Because Cusack Meats has been operating there since 1933, it has been able to make upgrades slowly over time.

The part of Cusack’s property targeted by OCURA involved empty parking lot space used for turning semi-trucks around for dock loading. The site just barely overlapped the 70-acre MAPS 3 park, one of several projects outlined in a $777 million temporary tax issue approved by voters several years ago.

The City Council voted in January 2017 to drop the idea and shift attention to an alternative target. By the end of the year, council members approved the $14 million purchase of property held by Oklahoma Gas & Electric Co. at SW Fourth Street and S. Robinson Avenue. That deal requires that OG&E relocate a control center for power transmission and distribution systems.

City officials would not publicly discuss the issue Tuesday. The City Council entered executive session during the regularly scheduled meeting to receive confidential communications from the municipal attorney to discuss potential litigation of Cusack’s claim.

“The fact of the matter is plain: Cusack was forced to incur significant expenses in order to engage in settlement discussion with the city and OCURA regarding the city’s proposed take,” the company’s filing says. “As a result of the city’s actions, in addition to the exposure to expenses and professional fees, Cusack lost the opportunity to sell its facility and suffered diminution in its value.

“The law, both locally and federally, abhors detriment to landowners as a result of contrived or abandoned eminent domain authority,” the filing says.

Thread Information