Widgets Magazine
Page 60 of 149 FirstFirst ... 105556575859606162636465110 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

whatever Ogle does the 2cent thing on the news was ripping on the names and how many of them were not even submitted as suggestions by the public and wondering why these were the ones in the running. particularly Prairie river park.. since there is no such river by the name. Just thought it was funny because I kind of feel the same way about how they plugged "Green" and "Common" on the tail of many of these as sort of an afterthought that doesn't flow well.

2. Default Re: Central Park

Could be worse. At least OKC Park isn't on there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    TRUTH

but even if "OKC Park" had been voted on, the humans involved would have put forth "Oklahoma City Boulevard Greens" or some such thing, and us citizens, based on that name, would simply start calling it "The Median".

2Lanez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    whatever Ogle does the 2cent thing on the news was ripping on the names and how many of them were not even submitted as suggestions by the public and wondering why these were the ones in the running. particularly Prairie river park.. since there is no such river by the name.
    Nor will the park look like a prairie, or have a river within it. Seriously, these are so bad.

Won't it also be like all the other grass in Oklahoma and be golden brown during the summer and winter months anyway? Makes the whole "Greens" thing seem a bit sillier.

Blog Entries

The lost ogle's post on this is quite humorous

Yeah I hate how they went with Green or Commons instead of Park. Why can't it ever just be simple. Union Park was fine like had been so commonly suggested.

I'm just going to call it what it is, Downtown Park. It tells you what it is and where it is right in the name. While it's dumb, it's still better than most of what they came up with.

I won't lie, I voted for Skydance Green.

I've never agreed with Kelly Ogle on his little 2 Cents segments. Landrun Park is a nod to the past. This park is about the future of the OKC Metro!

2Lanez Guest

And how does the word "Skydance" relate to the future of the OKC metro?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I won't lie, I voted for Skydance Green.

I've never agreed with Kelly Ogle on his little 2 Cents segments. Landrun Park is a nod to the past. This park is about the future of the OKC Metro!
    I forgot about that part of his segment. I wasn't paying close attention. but I agree. I was like why would you rip up the land run sculptures to relocate them. they are fine where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lanez View Post
    And how does the word "Skydance" relate to the future of the OKC metro?
    well it doesn't tie us to the past the way Land run would. it just ties in with the Skydance Bridge that is there already.

12. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Very strange to me that the City is using the Newsok site to conduct this poll (you can't vote without visiting their website) when they have the capability to do so on their own, which is how they solicited the names in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's a huge conflict of interest -- basically being gifted a ton of web traffic which drives advertising dollars -- for a newspaper that is supposed to be covering the City with objectivity.
    OKC Central chat:

Steve Lackmeyer replied:
    The city occasionally teams up with local media on various matters of interest to the community. A couple of the years ago the Oklahoma City Zoo arranged for an exclusive live web cam on an animal birth with a local television station. It was a great service. The Oklahoman's leadership arranged with the city to run the poll and promote it as a civic service.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Aggreee!

The Lost Ogle sums this up pretty well, including the inappropriateness of gifting the Oklahoman tons of free web traffic.

This is far from a 'civic service'"

https://www.thelostogle.com/2017/06/...-is-a-debacle/

The Lost Ogle sums this up pretty well, including the inappropriateness of gifting the Oklahoman tons of free web traffic.

This is far from a 'civic service'" being given by OPUBCO:

https://www.thelostogle.com/2017/06/...-is-a-debacle/

When I asked the city about this, I was told they wanted an "impartial 3rd party", which is bizarre because 1) the city should be more impartial than any commercial business; 2) the city handles all types of polling and tabulating of data all the time; and 3) as noted above, the person that the city gave the story, the very next day uses the same pulpit to offer all types of opinions about the names and process.; so much for impartiality.

^^ 100% agree. I'd send in an editorial if I thought there was a chance that newsok would publish it. Everything about placing the poll on a for profit site seems corrupt to me. I'm fine with them filtering and modifying the suggestions (even if I don't like their choices) but funneling traffic to the Oklahoman is blatantly crooked. If I thought any local media would stand up to them I'd contact them.

Forget the park. Let's just keep it like this (from this morning).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1396-Pano-Edit.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	584.6 KB 
ID:	13892

Quote Originally Posted by mdeand View Post
    Forget the park. Let's just keep it like this (from this morning).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1396-Pano-Edit.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	584.6 KB 
ID:	13892
    That is so cool. It reminds me of a city in China where I lived. The University where I was staying was outside of town a ways and there was a vast field in between my view and the massive towers of the city. So cool to go from nothing to everything (in terms of cityness anyway)

That picture is amazing. To me, it is a great representation of Oklahoma in one photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    That picture is amazing. To me, it is a great representation of Oklahoma in one photograph.
    Needs Westbrook and Sonic first.

Why bother voting when the committee picks their own choices and then asks you to vote to validate their choices? Can anybody make a case on why you should bother?

Work has started.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Why bother voting when the committee picks their own choices and then asks you to vote to validate their choices? Can anybody make a case on why you should bother?
    If you have a preference of one of the options over another?

i have a feeling that a pedestrian bridge over the river that follows the axis of the skydance bridge along harvey will be needed to create a direct, pedestrian and bike friendly link between downtown, strawberry fields, the park, wheeler district and even as far south as capitol hill.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    If you have a preference of one of the options over another?
    So what, the naming committee has demonstrated that public input is not going to outweigh the opinion of the committee. If the city is going to solicit ideas they should respect the opinions of those that voted within the original parameters of what was acceptable.

Thread Information