Page 55 of 149 FirstFirst ... 55051525354555657585960105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

Fried Okra Commons.

Blog Entries

Cornett Park or Cornett 'Family' Park

Named in honor of Mayor Mick & Councilman Jack Cornett & the Cornett Family--His father, Edward G. Cornett, and mother founded a meat-packing company, Cornett Packing Co., in the 1920s. Cornett operated the family business on SE 8, south of Bricktown, for many years before financial troubles led to its closure in the early 1990s..

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Cornett Park or Cornett 'Family' Park

Named in honor of Mayor Mick & Councilman Jack Cornett & the Cornett Family.
    They've already said they won't be naming it after anybody.

I submitted Skydance Park since I like the name and its ties to the bridge, but equally like Union Park. I like the idea of Scissortail Park in theory, but I don't feel like it rolls off the tongue well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    They've already said they won't be naming it after anybody.

I submitted Skydance Park since I like the name and its ties to the bridge, but equally like Union Park. I like the idea of Scissortail Park in theory, but I don't feel like it rolls off the tongue well.
    My bad about missing the part about not using anybody's name.

Agree, that Skydance Park could tie in better with the bridge already there.

There are many things you could build in the area with use of the Skydance brand--eventually, a Skydance (observation) Tower.

I voted Union Park. Short and sweet, and has an obvious connection to the Union Station right there.

Originally I was favoring the Skydance idea, but changed my mind over time.

I submitted 'Freedom Park' though i think 'Skydance Park' is a better choice and should probably win.

IMO the trick is to find a name that's stately but not pretentious. Seems to me Union Commons best fulfills the first criterion, although as someone has expressed in this thread it might fail at the latter.

Personally I feel like "Skydance Park" is more whimsical, and "Pioneer Park" gives off a rustic vibe. Those would be fine names for other parks, but for a central urban park in particular I feel like dignified is the way to go.

Blog Entries

Since we have BOK Park Plaza tower, maybe we should name the park BOK Plaza Park.........

Plaza Park

I like Skydance Park or Union Park

We still don't have anything in this city honoring our native son, Lon Chaney Jr.

I suggest we name it "Wolfman Park". We can have a statue of him peering out from behind a tree, like he was going to attack somebody. That would be awesome.

12. Default Re: Central Park

I like Skydance because it honors our heritage, our state bird (which is an awesome bird, by the way), and it's not a trite or contrived moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    We still don't have anything in this city honoring our native son, Lon Chaney Jr.

I suggest we name it "Wolfman Park". We can have a statue of him peering out from behind a tree, like he was going to attack somebody. That would be awesome.
    they're NOT naming it after anybody

Union Park! Sounds good since Union Station is the centerpiece!! I personally do no like Pioneer Park (Sorry) Too hokey. OKC deserves better!

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I like Skydance because it honors our heritage, our state bird (which is an awesome bird, by the way), and it's not a trite or contrived moniker.
    What about "Skydance" has to do with our heritage? I'm not being snotty, I truly don't get the reference. I thought it was a pretty random name for the pedestrian bridge when it was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    What about "Skydance" has to do with our heritage? I'm not being snotty, I truly don't get the reference. I thought it was a pretty random name for the pedestrian bridge when it was announced.
    I don't know if it has any actual history or state (perhaps it is being confused with 'scissortail'?) but, at the risk of sounding really corny, I just like the mental image it conjures up. Oklahoma embraces and is well known for its vivid happenings in the sky -- both weather/storms and sunsets -- and the word "skydance" plays on that activity and imagery, IMO. I think it's an artistic phrasing of what so many, including myself, find beautiful about Oklahoma. *shrug*

Edited to add: Looks like my interpretation is off-base, but I also like this perspective. The VisitOKC.com website explains it as the following:

At more than 200 feet tall, the SkyDance Pedestrian Bridge soars above Interstate 40 in downtown Oklahoma City and has become one of the city's most unique landmarks. The design is inspired by the "sky dance" of the scissor-tailed flycatcher, Oklahoma's state bird.
    https://www.visitokc.com/about-okc/okc-facts/

I don't personally like "Skydance" since we already have the Skydance Bridge.

I vote Union Park.

I like Skydance, but I voted for Cornett Park. I think it's a great way to thank a Mayor who has done so much for OKC. I think they should name it after him, no matter what they've said. I like Union Park as well.

May just be me but I think the previously mentioned Union Commons rolls of the tongue better than Union Park.

I voted for Union Commons in the City's poll.

[QUOTE=LocoAko;986900]I don't know if it has any actual history or state (perhaps it is being confused with 'scissortail'?) but, at the risk of sounding really corny, I just like the mental image it conjures up. Oklahoma embraces and is well known for its vivid happenings in the sky -- both weather/storms and sunsets -- and the word "skydance" plays on that activity and imagery, IMO. I think it's an artistic phrasing of what so many, including myself, find beautiful about Oklahoma. *shrug*

The 'Sky Dance' is a mating ritual of the Scissortail. I've seen this before and they literally drop right out of the sky to impress the ladies.

I like the idea of putting Cornett's name on this, but not on the whole park. We should call it the Cornett Lawn at Union Park. I really think the lawn has a chance to become a key installation of this city, so I think his name there would more than suffice for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tyeomans View Post
    What about something reflecting our state rock?

Rose Park? Rose Rock? Rose Rock Park?

Then it would be cool to maybe have a giant statue of a cool looking rose rock in the center of the park.
    Sounds a little like Rosa Parks.

I walked through Hubcap Alley a couple of nights ago. Massey's Accessory Shop is now closed (on the west side of Robinson, so was purchased by the city for the lower park). Not sure when he closed, I was last there on January 10 and I'm pretty sure it was open then, and I'm certain it was still open last fall. I feel it closed recently. Massey's has been somewhere in Hubcap Alley or nearby for 90(!!!!) years. Also, on the other side of the road, so across from the future park, A&A Auto Salvage and A&P Truck Salvage are now closed and fenced off, for sale. This is also a fairly recent closure (last couple of months). Iron Kartel (east side of Robinson), Bethany's (west), and the Old Volks Home (west) are all still in business, as near as I could tell.

Taxpayer's Park

Thread Information