Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Some Choctaw word suggestions:
    Iklanna (Central) Park
    Kachaya (Scissor) Park
    Chito (Big/Grand) Park
    Ibafoka (Union) Park
    Maybe we can incorporate all of them?

KICI Park (Kachaya + Iklanna + Chito + Ibafoka)

Looks like Robinson is going to get the same sort of complete re-do as Hudson:

Hopefully it's not the same type of street marking paint.

5. Default Re: Central Park

If anyone can explain to the logic behind why the southbound bike lane appears out of nowhere a half block south of the boulevard you win a prize.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    If anyone can explain to the logic behind why the southbound bike lane appears out of nowhere a half block south of the boulevard you win a prize.
    Because the Boulevard will have multi-use paths along the sides of it, so you have to get off of the curb to get into the bike lane -- hence the ramp leading down to the bike lane. These drawings don't show everything that's going on in the area. What's my prize?!

7. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by CarlessInOKC View Post
    Because the Boulevard will have multi-use paths along the sides of it, so you have to get off of the curb to get into the bike lane -- hence the ramp leading down to the bike lane. These drawings don't show everything that's going on in the area. What's my prize?!
    Well my first thought is a taco.

City Council votes to give up on buying Cusack Meats property in Lower Park area...

http://newsok.com/article/5532944

I've thought this for awhile, but I think the lower park is going to end up being a let down. Along with the fact that it's separated by the interstate, I just don't see a ton of people wandering down there. I see it mostly being used for the fields played, but I'd bet your average visitor to the park only ever utilizes the upper portion, which I do think is going to be fantastic once it's done.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I've thought this for awhile, but I think the lower park is going to end up being a let down. Along with the fact that it's separated by the interstate, I just don't see a ton of people wandering down there. I see it mostly being used for the fields played, but I'd bet your average visitor to the park only ever utilizes the upper portion, which I do think is going to be fantastic once it's done.
    I've long thought this as well. I'd prefer they not mess with the lower park and use that money for improvements elsewhere.

It will be a very important link between downtown and the river and all the recreation down there, present and future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    City Council votes to give up on buying Cusack Meats property in Lower Park area...

http://newsok.com/article/5532944
    It's amazing to me that since they can't get the property, they are going to design around it, unlike the building on the north end of the Central Park that they could have designed around, but demolished. I am surprised that the city isn't paying out the @$$ for this for a clean slate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I think it really depends on the overall design of the park. If there are basketball courts, trails, disc golf, etc, I can see it being utilized a lot more since it will be completely different than the northern portion.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    It's amazing to me that since they can't get the property, they are going to design around it, unlike the building on the north end of the Central Park that they could have designed around, but demolished. I am surprised that the city isn't paying out the @$$ for this for a clean slate.
    this property plus asking fees would have cost the city $5.6mil.. Isn't Maps 3 under budget? How much is that parking garage gonna cost??

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It will be a very important link between downtown and the river and all the recreation down there, present and future.
    I agree with Pete. The connection between downtown/central park and the river trail is vitally important and needs to be implemented seamlessly. If it the lower park is designed and built out appropriately, I think it will enjoy use with pedestrians and bicyclists, both. Also, the athletic fields present massive potential for community use. I imagine the ever increasing downtown/midtown population will use the park as the best gateway to the river and boathouse district.

As a recreational bicyclist, I enjoy riding from my house to the river trails. It is a hassle (and less exercise) to put my bike on my car, drive to the boathouse area, park, and then get a bike ride in. To have a "car-less ride" today I have to ride city streets across downtown, avoid tourists wandering through Bricktown, and ride through the walking trails in the park near the "Land Run Monument" - which were not designed with bicycles in mind. This is my current route to the river and it is a hassle - but safer than riding city streets to Wheeler Park or SW 15th and Walker.

I think the upper and lower park will present an aesthetically pleasing alternative to get OKC citizens moving towards the river. I hope our leaders continue to promote healthy lifestyles by putting our tax dollars towards creation of parks, public sports fields, bike trails, etc.

Now, if the city would install a disc golf course on the lower half of the park I am certain it would see a ton of use! One can dream

FWIW I hope I'm wrong. I'm just afraid that the City is going to continue to make changes and compromises on the lower section which won't help the situation. At the very least I think they need to make sure the top most section near the interstate where the bridge is is developed like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    I agree with Pete. The connection between downtown/central park and the river trail is vitally important and needs to be implemented seamlessly. If it the lower park is designed and built out appropriately, I think it will enjoy use with pedestrians and bicyclists, both. Also, the athletic fields present massive potential for community use. I imagine the ever increasing downtown/midtown population will use the park as the best gateway to the river and boathouse district.

As a recreational bicyclist, I enjoy riding from my house to the river trails. It is a hassle (and less exercise) to put my bike on my car, drive to the boathouse area, park, and then get a bike ride in. To have a "car-less ride" today I have to ride city streets across downtown, avoid tourists wandering through Bricktown, and ride through the walking trails in the park near the "Land Run Monument" - which were not designed with bicycles in mind. This is my current route to the river and it is a hassle - but safer than riding city streets to Wheeler Park or SW 15th and Walker.

I think the upper and lower park will present an aesthetically pleasing alternative to get OKC citizens moving towards the river. I hope our leaders continue to promote healthy lifestyles by putting our tax dollars towards creation of parks, public sports fields, bike trails, etc.

Now, if the city would install a disc golf course on the lower half of the park I am certain it would see a ton of use! One can dream
    Well said, aDark. That's our dilemma right now as well with the logistical issues of getting down to the trails. We're keeping our fingers crossed for the park development to give us an easy way to make the trails part of our rides. Like you said, it's not easy navigating through Bricktown and the Land Run stuff, so we just don't do it.

Blog Entries

Apparently the property is worth more to Cusak than it is for the public's use. So be it. It reminds me of those around 63rd and Western who just kept holding out from selling to McClendon thinking there was no limit to what he would pay. Well, many overplayed their hand and now will never in their lifetimes get what they were holding out for or anywhere close.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just because it stands in the way doesn't mean it will be meaningfully linking anything.

That said, I would never doubt OKC's capacity to support a well done project. We just don't have enough of those to take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Just because it stands in the way doesn't mean it will be meaningfully linking anything.

That said, I would never doubt OKC's capacity to support a well done project. We just don't have enough of those to take for granted.
    LOL, Spartan. I'm not sure if that is a yay or a nay.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    LOL, Spartan. I'm not sure if that is a yay or a nay.
    Why does everything have to be one or the other?

The yin with the yang.

22. Default Re: Central Park

Definitely in favor of keeping the lower park. Not enough long, narrow parks in OKC for joggers, dog walkers, and cyclists.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Hudson Ave. along the west side of the park coming along:

Off topic: BOKPP adds a lot from that vantage point.

Back on topic, which portion of the park are we looking at right there? Is this a pedestrian/cycling right of way?

That was taken from near Union Station and on the other side of it is I-40.

This is looking NE across the park.

The main pedestrian corridor will be Robinson and the east side of the park as it will connect downtown with the Skydance bridge and and take you over I-40, through the lower portion of the park and to the river.

The west side is all in the hands of private developers.

Thread Information