Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 147 FirstFirst 123456752102 ... LastLast

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Goodbye downtown postal facility

Went on a Cub Scout tour of that building (PO), top to bottom, about 1967 or so. I agree, it will be nice to see Union Station out in the open again.
    Last edited by Tritone; 08-03-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: coherence

2. Default Re: Goodbye downtown postal facility

Lynne, your pics on flickr are wonderful! Thanks!

Anyone know why it is taking them months to tear this place down?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Anyone know why it is taking them months to tear this place down?
    They are dismanteling, not demolishing. The brick is pretty valuable I guess.

^^^Yes.

You know, I kinda like the building, but it makes sense to tear it down. I went to Momentum a couple years back when it was housed in the postal building and was thinking it is a shame we can't find uses for massive buildings like this, but we really just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    They are dismanteling, not demolishing. The brick is pretty valuable I guess.
    Actually, the steel is really valuable too. I've been watching this over time and noticed the steel is always carefully piled up during demolition. In fact, I was wondering how much of the I-40 dismantling could be paid for just by recycling the materials in it. Maybe that's why we've never heard there's a problem with taking it down.

betts; ran across something that mentioned they are going to be salvaging much of the steel from the Crosstown when it comes down. If i run across it again, I will post.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    betts; ran across something that mentioned they are going to be salvaging much of the steel from the Crosstown when it comes down. If i run across it again, I will post.
    Just put the word out that there is copper in the freeway deck. It will be gone in 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Just put the word out that there is copper in the freeway deck. It will be gone in 24 hours.
    Like my downspouts....

Well that's not nice at all....

Default Re: Central Park

I find Steve's article interesting today. It sounds as though Carrier wants engineers to shift the Boulevard south for more room for the Convention Center complex. In theory, might that potentially affect the size of the park? Did anyone go to the Park Committee meeting this afternoon?

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I find Steve's article interesting today. It sounds as though Carrier wants engineers to shift the Boulevard south for more room for the Convention Center complex. In theory, might that potentially affect the size of the park? Did anyone go to the Park Committee meeting this afternoon?
    From past behavior I expect not. Though I think the between the six lanes and the parking slips, it probably would not technically loose space from the previous plan. Even though they would probably be asking for every square inch shaved off the original massive width for a boulevard.

I'm not trying to be grammar police, but how come people spell "lose" as "loose" all the time? Is there an alternative meaning or something? People do it all the time and it's a different word. Just curious, not trying to hate.

I intended it with only one o, but as another word in the spellchecker did not catch the mistake

You can see on this ODOT photo that the facility is finally gone.

Don't know why they haven't touched that smaller building on the southern edge of the property:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    You can see on this ODOT photo that the facility is finally gone.

Don't know why they haven't touched that smaller building on the southern edge of the property:

I think Allen Contracting is using it for a field office for Crosstown work.

19. Default Re: Goodbye downtown postal facility

cafe is correct

They were laying sod on the site the last time I went by. No trees being planted though.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    They were laying sod on the site the last time I went by. No trees being planted though.
    I wouldn't expect any trees or other landscaping plants until the park development begins and they have definite plans in place.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I wouldn't expect any trees or other landscaping plants until the park development begins and they have definite plans in place.
    you are correct, the sod is just for erosion control.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to plant a bunch of trees and start a nursery on site. If this park is still 5 to 8 years from being done then planting trees now to be relocated later would give the park a leg up on maturing the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by just the facts View Post
    it wouldn't be a bad idea to plant a bunch of trees and start a nursery on site. If this park is still 5 to 8 years from being done then planting trees now to be relocated later would give the park a leg up on maturing the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to plant a bunch of trees and start a nursery on site. If this park is still 5 to 8 years from being done then planting trees now to be relocated later would give the park a leg up on maturing the trees.
    There's nothing wrong with that idea as long as it isn't a duplication of efforts already underway elsewhere and another summer like we had this year could make it difficult without a lot of maintenance and water in an area not set up for that yet.

Thread Information