Widgets Magazine
Page 147 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4797142143144145146147148149 LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,675 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

1. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Flood risk? Extremely high water table?

Default Re: Scissortail Park

I think it gonna be a couple decades before they build on the river there. Kind of an urban oasis at this point and it would take a big investment to build a good, vertical complex there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3395.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	18651

Looks like they’re doing some type of work to the feather sculpture, there’s a chain link fence around it

I recently was looking at my proposal photos from this fall and realized I had not shared a pic on the Scissortail page. This is not a view that most of you haven't seen before, but looking at this photo It makes me think about how much value these types of projects bring to the metro. Projects like Scissortail are so massive to the cultural perception of the metro. By going to school out of state, I have many of my friends that had no idea how OKC truly does have beautiful aspects. I am thankful that the city has invested into MAPS not only for my generation but also my future children.

Name:	Photo Sep 09 2023, 5 48 54 PM.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	7.15 MB 
ID:	18652

^

That's beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

6. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by KHutch66 View Post
    I recently was looking at my proposal photos from this fall and realized I had not shared a pic on the Scissortail page. This is not a view that most of you haven't seen before, but looking at this photo It makes me think about how much value these types of projects bring to the metro. Projects like Scissortail are so massive to the cultural perception of the metro. By going to school out of state, I have many of my friends that had no idea how OKC truly does have beautiful aspects. I am thankful that the city has invested into MAPS not only for my generation but also my future children.

Absolutely stunning.

I hope she said yes !

I ran through Scissortail yesterday after work and it was busy ! Both part of the park.

The south side had all his athletic fields in use plus a bunch of people out for a run/ walk or just being outside.
    Nice to see.

I forgot what we did before this park !

Also, I think they need to make a better connection between the south end of the park and the river trail. So close but not connected.

Quote Originally Posted by KHutch66 View Post

We should always invest in the future. We should plant trees (or parks) even if we do not live long enough to fully enjoy them.

I drove by Friday and it looked like they were replacing the brick around the sculpture

Farmers Market about to start. I wish the city could buy some Strawberry Fields land and put a legitimate year round
    Farmers Market. Oh well.

It was a very busy park this morning with the first Farmers Market of the season. Lots of people flying kites today too, for some reason.

12. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It was a very busy park this morning with the first Farmers Market of the season. Lots of people flying kites today too, for some reason.
    Kite Festival was 10 - 2 Saturday

From last night's Thunder Up in the Park.

There were no viewing screens so the event ended just as the game started. Tons of families and about half the crowd went into the arena and the other half went home. It was nice to see people enjoying the event who didn't have a ticket to the game.

Blog Entries

Great pics! Thanks for taking and posting them Pete.

Great pics and looks like the turnout was great. Seems like a big miss not to broadcast the game, but I imagine there are all sorts of rights considerations with trying to do so / probably would be prohibitively expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Great pics and looks like the turnout was great. Seems like a big miss not to broadcast the game, but I imagine there are all sorts of rights considerations with trying to do so / probably would be prohibitively expensive.
    Nothing to do with right considerations or money. They used to broadcast the games in "Thunder Alley" when the Thunder first came to OKC. But it drew so many good and bad crowds and it started to be a security issues and there were a few incidents that happened which prohibited it to continue.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/t...r-watch-party/

This image shows how all the landscaping is starting to mature.

It's funny that there was consternation about the ultimate success of the park due to the close proximity to the Myriad Gardens, but if the weather is decent at all, it's always packed with people and activity. Such a home run.

The TNT cutaways that I saw made OKC look like it only has two buildings downtown. Pretty disappointing considering how nice it looks down there now.

Sometimes I think that media prefer to prop up the shopworn image of OKC as a dusty cowtown. Not all, of course.

One thing I've noticed is that in multiple articles I've read recently I keep seeing that OKC has a population of 600,000. That is really old news. We've had a full-blown census since then, and now we've crossed into 700,000.

Also, the metro area population of 1.4 million or 1.5 million or whatever it is is rarely if ever reported in these national stories, such as the ones I've read recently about Legends Tower.

I went down there to enter for chance to win one of the 20 pairs of tickets. It was pretty cool seeing how many people were there just for a chance to win tickets. They did 3 rounds of names being called before stopping. You have to be present with a valid ID matching the name to claim the tickets within 5 minutes of when they begin calling names. I counted I think 15 of the pairs being claimed before they stopped going back to drawing names. So not sure what happens to the unclaimed seats, maybe the event staff gets to use them or something.

Before the drawing we went to Social Capital and just watched the masses rolling in using the park and surrounding area. I cannot help but imagine using the Great Lawn for a true watch party. I think a simple fence and security to do weapons check would be easy enough. I would not be surprised if there is something in the works for later rounds involving this idea. Holt has big time passion for NBA in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I went down there to enter for chance to win one of the 20 pairs of tickets. It was pretty cool seeing how many people were there just for a chance to win tickets. They did 3 rounds of names being called before stopping. You have to be present with a valid ID matching the name to claim the tickets within 5 minutes of when they begin calling names. I counted I think 15 of the pairs being claimed before they stopped going back to drawing names. So not sure what happens to the unclaimed seats, maybe the event staff gets to use them or something.

Before the drawing we went to Social Capital and just watched the masses rolling in using the park and surrounding area. I cannot help but imagine using the Great Lawn for a true watch party. I think a simple fence and security to do weapons check would be easy enough. I would not be surprised if there is something in the works for later rounds involving this idea. Holt has big time passion for NBA in OKC.
    Holt wants to do, just getting the Thunder ownership on board (who he isn't going to cross). Ownership wants nothing to do with if it leads to violence like the shooting back when.

I was there about 5:45 and it was packed. My only complaint would be I wished they had spread things out a bit further. I was really hard to walk around. You had to cut through lines and hard to tell where the line ended with all the people. As far as watching games we make it to the WCF I'm sure it will happen a least for road games.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Holt wants to do, just getting the Thunder ownership on board (who he isn't going to cross). Ownership wants nothing to do with if it leads to violence like the shooting back when.
    And it's mainly just optics. The violence was unrelated to the game activities, but people to continue to associate it with Thunder alley, even now. So, clearly, if anything bad happens, people can and will blame the team.

24. Default Re: Scissortail Park

^^^^^^^^
    How do you mean, unrelated to game activities? It was well-documented that the two rival groups ran into each other at Thunder Alley, which had become more of an an outdoor nightclub in the final couple of (Lakers) games.

Legitimately I left the game early on the night of the shooting, in part because the Thunder had the game in hand, but also because I didn’t want to get caught under the BNSF overpass like I had the game before. You could feel it that night; there was an electricity in the air, and I don’t mean in a good way. The crowd had flipped, and especially late in games had become very loose and aggressive.

When I walked into the arena before the game I ran into the VP of comms for the Thunder and the then-GM of Paycom (then Chesapeake) and they were about to chew their own lips off worrying about the uncontrolled mess outside the arena.

People were talking in this thread or another about how much Craig Sager was into it…well, I can tell you that I personally spent most of the next afternoon with Sager (after the shooting), and he was remarking about how palpable it was that something was going to happen and that in all of his years of covering the NBA he’d never seen such an uncontrolled and combustible environment.

The Thunder came out publicly and laid it off on Bricktown (where the shooting happened) but it was convenient, revisionist history. The shooter and the victims weren’t there to hang out in Bricktown. At all. They were all at Thunder Alley, and the shooting happened as they were walking back to their respective cars, which were parked in the ”free” lot south of Bass Pro.

It’s no coincidence that Thunder Alley was immediately canceled after the shooting. It could be revived, but the only way it could be SAFELY revived is with MUCH stricter crowd control measures.

Can I ask a question that has probably been asked/answered somewhere else? WHY isn't the Festival of The Arts in Scissortail Park? Why do they still block off roads in downtown to have it where they do? Wouldn't it be MUCH better in the park?

Thread Information