Widgets Magazine
Page 145 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4595140141142143144145146147148149 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

If you ever want to feel good about Oklahoma City (and the world in general), walk through Scissortail Park on a weekend afternoon.

Thousands of people out old and young, walking, pushing baby strollers, walking dogs, having a picnic on the hill, pickleball, basketball, soccer, splash pad, paddleboats, farmer's market, food trucks... I've never seen anything like this in OKC.

The recreation and activity focus complements the Myriad Gardens, which is much more lush and shady and, of course, smaller.

2. Default Re: Scissortail Park

I was there Sunday morning from around 6:30 to around 8:00. By 8 there were quite a few people there. I've been during the afternoon and thats why we went so early. I also learned that the mini-soccer court next to the pickle-ball courts is for futsal. I'd never heard of futsal before.

Where does Scissortail rank in terms of the most successful/impactful MAPS projects?

Maybe third behind the Paycom Center and the Bricktown Canal, and just ahead of the river improvements?

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Maybe third behind the Paycom Center and the Bricktown Canal, and just ahead of the river improvements?
    I would agree, and it has room to improve over time. The Bricktown Canal is mature, the Park is not.

It's funny because there were lots of complaints not only due to the design but that it was needed at all given the proximity to the Myriad Gardens.

But they serve two very different purposes. And apart from everything else, Scissortail finally provided easy pedestrian and bike access to the river and huge trail system.

It is also stimulating all types of development -- or will. Lots of acquisitions, including the lower park which has nothing to do with Strawberry Fields.

To be honest - so far the canal, Paycom, nor the park have had much direct impact on adjacent development (as proof I offer up all the undeveloped land adjacent to them). However, several Midtown developments have specifically identified the proximity of the streetcar as a relevant factor.

I can't imagine how much prettier it will be in 10-20 years once those trees grow.

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    I can't imagine how much prettier it will be in 10-20 years once those trees grow.
    Yes, just look at the trees and other greenery in the Myriad Gardens.

10. Default Re: Scissortail Park

As far as development I would think if it were 4 to 5 years ago Scissortail park would have spurred more places like Social Capital on those empty lots west of the upper park. And similar to the west of lower. But right now all of the 6 or 7 places my wife and I rotate through are not nearly as busy as they used to be. And have a hell of a time keeping employees. I wouldn't want to open a retail shop or restaurant/bar/grill right now. But that's not the fault of the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    I think about that every time I’m there. It’s beautiful and active now but what excites me the most is what it’ll grow into. I love walking around Balboa Park when I’m in San Diego with the architectural landmarks from the Panama-California and California Pacific International Expositions. I’d love to see museums, gardens, and various recreational attractions lining and within the park designed to look similar to Union Station using Balboa as a potential inspiration, or even the Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. Obviously an enormous size, age, geographic, and climate difference between Scissortail and Balboa or GGP, but just a fraction of that designed to be a cultural center to the city around the park would be incredible.

The park also open just before Covid hit. That delayed things a bit in terms of development. Developers were waiting on how things would turn out. The convention center also took a big hit.

What is delaying development around the park are two land owners that don't seem interested in developing anything. The same debate we just had 2 weeks ago.

I went to Scissortail Park yesterday and noted that there is a 6 ft temporary chainlink fence around the stage and the great lawn. Has it been there long? Is it for a "pay to see" show on the stage? To me, the fence really detracted from the park's appearance and made it less inviting. If for a"pay to see" show, should the city be closing part of a public park paid for with MAPS funds so a private entity can engage in commerce?

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    I went to Scissortail Park yesterday and noted that there is a 6 ft temporary chainlink fence around the stage and the great lawn. Has it been there long? Is it for a "pay to see" show on the stage? To me, the fence really detracted from the park's appearance and made it less inviting. If for a"pay to see" show, should the city be closing part of a public park paid for with MAPS funds so a private entity can engage in commerce?

What does your last sentence even mean? Are you saying that EVERY event at a public venue should be free? So no concerts that require a ticket?

I will tell the Paycom Center they are doing it wrong by having tickets.

Granted, not sure what the fence is for, but saying there should only be free events in the park isn't realistic.

I know at one point there were some major dead patches in the grass and they had cordoned those off....they may be trying to get some fresh sod down before winter?

They put in new sod in the last month.
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvKx9...ZjMTM2ODFkZg==

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    What does your last sentence even mean? Are you saying that EVERY event at a public venue should be free? So no concerts that require a ticket?

I will tell the Paycom Center they are doing it wrong by having tickets.

Granted, not sure what the fence is for, but saying there should only be free events in the park isn't realistic.
    There is a difference in expectation between a park and Paycom. Access to a public park is free, an arena is not.

There is a difference in expectation between a park and Paycom. Access to a public park is free, an arena is not.
    the "expectation" for this park was that there would be concerts that cost money at the music venue ...

was the plan from the very beginning .. and that hasn't changed ..

The fence was for an EDM show. I went and had a great time. Exactly what we need more of!

https://scissortailpark.org/events/d...inzo-and-more/

21. Default Re: Scissortail Park

I saw a concert on the Summerstage in Central Park, NYC a few years ago. There was a fence around the venue. Attendees paid for their tickets. Paid programming isn’t some radical concept. It’s common and even expected in urban parks. Find something else to gripe about.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I saw a concert on the Summerstage in Central Park, NYC a few years ago. There was a fence around the venue. Attendees paid for their tickets. Paid programming isn’t some radical concept. It’s common and even expected in urban parks. Find something else to gripe about.
    I know you agree with me here, just making a point. It's using the park exactly as intended. Sure, there will be some free shows, and that's awesome. But having paid shows there as well is an absolute positive IMO, for a litany of reasons. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are complaints, par for the course.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Scissortail Park

Development of the 70 acre Scissortail Park constructed 2019 with a 40 acre upper park separated by a 30 acre lower park stretches from downtown Oklahoma City crossing into the south area of the city cost $132-million funded by MAPS 3 penny sales tax initiative.

An amazing centralized park for the citizens of our city to enjoy. So nice to see both parks being utilized by patrons.

24. Default Re: Scissortail Park

i LOVE IT!!! Downtown baby!!!

EDM outdoor concert DOWNTOWN!!! on Saturday night!!

Kiddos and everyone enjoying the park by day, young adults enjoying by night!!! DOWNTOWN!! Wonderful OKC!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    i LOVE IT!!! Downtown baby!!!

EDM outdoor concert DOWNTOWN!!! on Saturday night!!

Kiddos and everyone enjoying the park by day, young adults enjoying by night!!! DOWNTOWN!! Wonderful OKC!!
    For reference, the EDM concert was the annual DayDream dubstep festival, which prior to the pandemic had been hosted at the Lost Lakes Adventure Park off NE 10th. Happens every year in mid-to-late August. They moved to Scissortail last year.

Thread Information