Widgets Magazine
Page 113 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1363108109110111112113114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Pete, speaking of, next time you are at the park with the drone could you take a few shots of the lower park area? I think that would be interesting to see to compare and contrast to the completed upper park.

You can definitely tell we got a ton of rain last week

3. Default Re: Scissortail Park

They start their Live from the Lawn concert series this Friday with Adam Aguilar opening for Mike Hosty.

https://scissortailpark.org/live-from-the-lawn/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks!

I can't wait until the entire thing is finished, will be interesting to walk the full park span from the Myriad down to the river.

Pete, on the bottom left of the picture it appears there are cars driving on a city street that has been closed off. Do people use this area of parking by moving the barrier? I can't figure out what is happening in this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Pete, on the bottom left of the picture it appears there are cars driving on a city street that has been closed off. Do people use this area of parking by moving the barrier? I can't figure out what is happening in this picture.
    There is no barrier to the north. Those are construction works who are backing in their cars or just turning around. And then double and triple parking.

Almost all the street parking around the park is taken by construction workers. I seriously doubt they are buying a new parking permit every 2 hours.

And a bunch of them park on the grass just south of Skydance Bridge then walk over Robinson (or break through the gates on the bridge).

Blog Entries

Core2shore Re: Scissortail Park

There is no barrier to the north. Those are construction works who are backing in their cars or just turning around. And then double and triple parking.

Almost all the street parking around the park is taken by construction workers. I seriously doubt they are buying a new parking permit every 2 hours.

And a bunch of them park on the grass just south of Skydance Bridge then walk over Robinson (or break through the gates on the bridge).
    I've seen construction workers walking over Robinson & Walker bridges near Little Flower Catholic Church to get to ST Park. There are some food trucks along the route. You're correct, they do park south of Skydance Bridge.

Along with the park, I look forward to seeing what kind of development gets proposed for that entire stretch from I-40 to the river. Talk about being primed for development.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Along with the park, I look forward to seeing what kind of development gets proposed for that entire stretch from I-40 to the river. Talk about being primed for development.
    It would be a.perfect spot for a corporate headquarters. Or dense residential.

For some reason I would like to see a few more university level departments here. We have the ACM with UCO in BT, there is the Law program from OCU, and I believe UCO has some business related courses in the library. I think we need a Tech-focus research university in the Core2Shore area

Blog Entries

UCO has an entire program in the recently fully renovated Santa Fe garage space, where there are classes (might have taken over from library). The Catbird Seat, their business incubator, is in that space, as well as the radio station now (KCSU?). I _think_ there are still classes in the Carnegie also.

Too bad we can't get the river water to be less brown...

14. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Definitely not pure Rocky Mountain spring water.

Blog Entries

It also affects what you see at the River Sports Rapids.

The red clay and sand mixture will project a brown river drone pic. If you really want to see what the water looks like, dip a gallon size glass jar into the river (not for drinking), you'd be surprise to see that it's much clearer than it looks from the drone shot.

I read a good environmental history book years ago that pointed out Americans' obsession with green lawns to the point of associating the environment with greenness. Of course, then we waste a massive amount of water trying to make bushes, plants, and mostly lawns green that have no business being green... except we think that's what is beautiful. I guess you could say the same for clear water or water that is brown with dirt. I don't really have a larger point since the river is unnatural anyway, but just that notions of beauty are socialized.

Grass also helps slow surface runoff and improves absorption and helps keep soil secure to avoid erosion which can be costly and lead to more issues such as flooding if not controlled. It's cool these days to badmouth folks who take care of their yards, but not all of us can xeriscape their lawns because a lot of us live in neighborhoods whose planners either didn't think much about hydrology or we live places where the surface runoff patterns have changed for the worse since our neighborhoods were built.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I read a good environmental history book years ago that pointed out Americans' obsession with green lawns to the point of associating the environment with greenness. Of course, then we waste a massive amount of water trying to make bushes, plants, and mostly lawns green that have no business being green... except we think that's what is beautiful. I guess you could say the same for clear water or water that is brown with dirt. I don't really have a larger point since the river is unnatural anyway, but just that notions of beauty are socialized.
    One way to.improve the water quality would be to plant.or encourage wetlands upstream. Still the red/brown clay is a challenge compared to a rock bottom.

Central Oklahoma is the Red bed Plains....

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    One way to.improve the water quality would be to plant.or encourage wetlands upstream. Still the red/brown clay is a challenge compared to a rock bottom.
    It’s why there is such a big difference in the western/central Oklahoma lakes like Thunderbird, Texoma, Eufaula, etc and the eastern Oklahoma rock bottom lakes like Grand and Tenkiller. The bonus with the muddy lakes is you get sand beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    It’s why there is such a big difference in the western/central Oklahoma lakes like Thunderbird, Texoma, Eufaula, etc and the eastern Oklahoma rock bottom lakes like Grand and Tenkiller. The bonus with the muddy lakes is you get sand beaches.
    i don't think grand is rock bottom

Lake Murray is, and I love being able to see the fish coming up to my bait. Since our water sources are all man made here in Oklahoma, then I see now reason why we can't or shouldn't make them cleaner/nicer looking.

Lake Murray is, and I love being able to see the fish coming up to my bait. Since our water sources are all man made here in Oklahoma, then I see now reason why we can't or shouldn't make them cleaner/nicer looking.
    Murray is limestone based. Which is rock and ultra clear.

Roller skating rink opened: https://twitter.com/ashleyvholden/st...518900224?s=20

I'm guessing they've been working on the surface because otherwise, it just seems like they put some barriers up. Maybe I missed it, but I'm guessing they check out skates?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Roller skating rink opened: https://twitter.com/ashleyvholden/st...518900224?s=20

I'm guessing they've been working on the surface because otherwise, it just seems like they put some barriers up. Maybe I missed it, but I'm guessing they check out skates?
    Yes. Admission prices include a quad skate rental.

https://scissortailpark.org/rollersk...SHXLkPVJa9itZo

Thread Information