Widgets Magazine
Page 108 of 149 FirstFirst ... 858103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I was there Saturday and stopped by Social Capital while it was still warm and sunny. Whole area was packed, and Social had huge lines at the bars.

The only thing I don't understand about this area is the intersection of SW 4th and Hudson. Why are the sidewalks not connected and why is there a complete lack of sidewalk between that intersection and the sidewalk in front of Social Capital? There was a lot of people just walking in the street next to the cars that were parked in those couple spots.

https://goo.gl/maps/deiXpiKC81oENuMe7
    I actually put in a service request on the OKC Connect App. The response I received was "There are sidewalks"

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Construction workers for the Omni and convention center have been taking all the spaces along Robinson and the boulevard. They are there every day, including weekends.

When the parking garage is finished those projects wrap up, there will be tons of on-street parking which will provide even more access to the park. And of course, there will also be a huge surface lot just south of the convention center.
    I noticed the constructions guys when I was there. I actually ended up parking on the West side of the park in a grass field that looks like it has been used as overflow parking lot for a bit. Just south of that new restaurant.

Blog Entries

There will be some construction workers fine-tuning and putting on the finishing touches to the CC & Omni. Things will get better--our skyline, once they finish the skin on BancFirst will have most of the crowns on the towers visible at night.

Then there's the original MAPS projects in line for some updates.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I actually put in a service request on the OKC Connect App. The response I received was "There are sidewalks"
    i went to SC on saturday with a friend who has to use Handicap parking. we parked in the handicap parking on the street just north of Social Capital. there is no sidewalk there that connects to Social Capital so a person parking there in a wheelchair or just who has a need to utilize a close parking spot has to use the street for access to Social Capital.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    This. I honestly see ourselves going downtown more to go to this park. Which I imagine means we end up using the streetcar and other things.

Just my opinion, but this park is the best thing OKC has done downtown since the canal and arena. After going once this is my new favorite park, just from an amenities standpoint. It's going to be absolutely beautiful once the landscape matures.

Huge win IMO.
    I thought Moore built an impressive park as well? Don't get down that way much...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I thought Moore built an impressive park as well? Don't get down that way much...
    I think they do have a newer park. We usually went to South Lakes or Mustang's new park. It's probably the same distance to go to Moore's as opposed to downtown, and I'm sure downtown's park has got to have a lot more amenities.

7. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I use the walking trail at Moore Central Park regularly but calling it impressive might be getting a little carried away in my opinion.... Other than the walking trail and a small playground... There isn't much to do outside there.

Now if you want to pay a membership to get in the fitness center and pool... Then it might be impressive.

There is plenty of space where some outdoor basketball courts, volleyball, futsal, bocce, or any sort of outdoor activities could be installed but right now it's just a lot of dirt and grass.

And where Myriad Gardens is great as an urban, heavily-programmed park, Scissortail generally provides a place just to go walk your dog or let your kids play on playground equipment. And once the lower park opens and you can easily get all the way to the river, it will be even busier.

The number of people that have been patronizing it demonstrates how OKC needed something like this; something more geared to walking and recreation.
    Do you know whether the dog park at the MBG will remain open alongside the one in Scissortail?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Do you know whether the dog park at the MBG will remain open alongside the one in Scissortail?
    They are both open now and I haven't seen anything to indicate things will change at MBG.

https://twitter.com/cityofokc/status...33608298766337

The Skydance Bridge will be closed March 4 through this summer while contractors install new decking. Detour signs will direct pedestrians and cyclists to Robinson Avenue. #OKC

Just in time for spring!

Press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 3, 2020

Spring at Scissortail Park
    Warmer weather brings new events and activities to the Park

OKLAHOMA CITY – From the introduction of new lawn games to a full week of activities for Spring Break, Scissortail Park will be the place to be in Oklahoma City this month. A number of activities have been added to the March calendar at Scissortail Park.

Game Zone
    Beginning Saturday, March 7, guests coming to Scissortail Park can borrow various lawn games at the Game Zone. Each Saturday and Sunday from 1 until 4 p.m., Park guests can check out lawn games including kubb, Crossnet, bocce ball, badminton, volleyball, chess, cornhole, Frisbee®, hula hoops, jump ropes, and spike ball. Game checkout is located on the southeast corner of the Love’s Travel Stops Stage and Great Lawn near the hill and promenade.

St. Pat’s in the Park
    Saturday, March 14, Scissortail Park will host a free, outdoor celebration for families featuring Celtic music, Irish dancing by the McTeggart Irish Dancers of Oklahoma, a free concert by Drive, and a special performance by the Oklahoma Fire Pipes and Drums. Green beer will also be available for purchase.

Come out and follow the Oklahoma Fire Pipes and Drums at 2 p.m. as they start their march to the Love’s Travel Stops Stage and Great Lawn from the top of The Hill. Donations being accepted to help send Oklahoma Fire Pipes and Drums to compete at the World Pipe Band Championships in Glasgow, Scotland.

Saturday, March 14 | Performance Schedule
    2 p.m. Oklahoma Fire Pipes and Drums
    3 p.m. McTeggart Irish Dancers of Oklahoma
    4 p.m. Drive

Spring Break in the Park
    Free daily activities from Monday, March 16 through Saturday, March 21 for Spring Break.

Daily Activities | 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
    Monday: Chalk Art at the Play Pavilion
    Tuesday: Rolling Thunder Book Bus and Reading Time Out at the Love’s Travel Stops Stage & Great Lawn
    - The first 100 participants to visit the Rolling Thunder Book Bus will receive one free book.
    Wednesday: Recycle and Create at the Play Pavilion
    Thursday: Meet a Horticulturist and Plant a Pot at the Play Pavilion
    Friday: Hula Hooping at the Play Pavilion

All Week | Various Times
    Game Zone open from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Love’s Travel Stops Stage & Great Lawn

Boat Rentals open from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. at the Scissortail Boathouse
    - $12 per boat, up to 4 passengers per boat
    - Boat rentals are weather permitting

Food Trucks open from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. at the Picnic Grove on Robinson Avenue

The Escape OKC game truck at the Love’s Travel Stops Stage and Great Lawn on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
    - 30-minute game, 2 - 8 players per game
    - $10 per person or $40 per group of four or more (prices may vary)
    - Pre-registration coming soon

Sidewalk Astronomy
    Join the Oklahoma Astronomy Club for an evening of stargazing in the Park on Friday, March 20 from 7 to 10 p.m. Volunteers from O.A.C. will be on the Love’s Travel Stops Stage and Great Lawn with a number of telescopes to highlight different planets, stars, and features in the sky. O.A.C. volunteers are available to answer questions about space or astronomy. Event is weather permitting.

Daffodil Dash – NEW DATE
    Late last fall Scissortail Park horticulture staff and volunteers planted 40,000 daffodil bulbs throughout the Park. In anticipation of their spring arrival, the Park will host the inaugural Daffodil Dash, a 1k themed walk Saturday, March 21 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.

The Scissortail Park horticulture team will lead the walk beginning at 11 a.m. The starting line is the Promenade entrance located at the corner of Oklahoma City Boulevard and South Robinson Avenue. Participants are encouraged to dress as their favorite yellow flower or create an entire ensemble in yellow for fun and prizes. There are costume/themed-dress contest prizes for individuals as well as dogs.

Other activities include sack races categorized by age in the Love’s Travel Stops Stage & Great Lawn area, pinwheel decorating, hat decorating contests, flower sales, face painters, flower balloon artists, lawn games, music, food trucks, and more.

For information on these events and more coming to the Park, visit ScissortailPark.org.

I wonder if the Scissortail Park programming it taking away visitors from the MBG?

Wonder how tired the OKC press release people are of typing "Love’s Travel Stops Stage and Great Lawn"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I wonder if the Scissortail Park programming it taking away visitors from the MBG?
    If this weekend was any indication no, both were very busy, but we'll see. Since they are both managed by the same entity, I suspect they will make sure the programming compliments.

Just in time for spring!
    Horrendous planning on the cities part...

How is this taking longer than 2 weeks to redo?

Also, maybe in the future we dont always go with what some architect or designer looks cool and instead do things that functions well in Oklahoma. And real wood decking isnt one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    How is this taking longer than 2 weeks to redo?

Also, maybe in the future we dont always go with what some architect or designer looks cool and instead do things that functions well in Oklahoma. And real wood decking isnt one of them.
    If it makes you feel any better I live in Hollywood and it took them 3 months to install a crosswalk and traffic signal across from me.

19. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Someone was having fun with the resize tool. When they design signs with squished text like that, it makes them look really cheap and not like an official sign. No wonder people aren't taking the closure seriously.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    Someone was having fun with the resize tool. When they design signs with squished text like that, it makes them look really cheap and not like an official sign. No wonder people aren't taking the closure seriously.
    Seriously? We now blame people’s misbehavior on the sign maker and typeface? Lol. Folks, some people just don’t think rules apply to them. We can make all the excuses we want and deflect responsibilities all we want. Maybe the artist thinks they are so important that they can affect public behavior by shrinking a type face, but that would be a false sense of importance. Some people just fail to obey rules because of their own sense of self importance.

"No wonder people aren't taking the closure seriously. "

"Some people just fail to obey rules because of their own sense of self importance. "

Just because you put a sign up doesn't mean it's really closed. You need to put up a barrier/fence to actually close it, a sign ain't gonna cut it, never ever seen *just* a sign work telling people to not go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

"Some people just fail to obey rules because of their own sense of self importance. "

Just because you put a sign up doesn't mean it's really closed. You need to put up a barrier/fence to actually close it, a sign ain't gonna cut it, never ever seen *just* a sign work telling people to not go somewhere.
    "Please stay off the grass."

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

I think it has been blocked off now. At least, it would have to be once they actually started demolishing the old deck. Or they would need a sign that says "Please don't fall off of edge of bridge deck onto oncoming traffic or train". lol

Blog Entries

Fresh new update five minutes ago... sike! not closed yet!

https://twitter.com/cityofokc/status...18176462962689

UPDATE: The Skydance Bridge at
    @ScissortailPark
    will remain open until we find new material for the decking replacement. The City will not accept the materials recently delivered for this project, so the re-decking is delayed again. We're sorry for the frustration.

Why oh why didn't they deal with this a year ago when the bridge was closed for park construction???

And they still don't have the necessary materials which means this will likely be closed right during the first peak season?

And of course, why did they choose to use the existing material that failed after a short period of time? I am going to try and get some answers.

Thread Information