Widgets Magazine
Page 103 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3539899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

The 28k number would also represent total number of people who passed through the detectors - it's very unlikely that all of those people were on the lawn at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if there was never more than about 20k on the lawn at any given time just given the way that people move.

Looking forward to checking out the Fall Farmers Market on Saturday at the park!

3. Default Re: Scissortail Park

I got my first close up look at the park today. I am very concerned about how many distressed plants and trees there were. I know that some distress is to be expected with a transplant, but having experience in landscaping I was surprisedly the level of distress. It will be interesting to see how many plants and trees don't make it through the winter. Hopefully the upcoming rain and cooler temperatures will save many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I got my first close up look at the park today. I am very concerned about how many distressed plants and trees there were. I know that some distress is to be expected with a transplant, but having experience in landscaping I was surprisedly the level of distress. It will be interesting to see how many plants and trees don't make it through the winter. Hopefully the upcoming rain and cooler temperatures will save many of them.
    I know when I planted 2 large trees in the middle of a fairly hot summer, they looked like hell until the next spring and have been fine ever since. Hopefully that's the case here.

I just took a long walk through the park.

The grass on the great lawn looks really good apart from one small area to the east of the stage where they clearly had to bring in heavy equipment.

All the construction fences are down but much of the fencing, stands and sandbags are still in the parking spaces on the west side of the park.

I also noticed that construction workers have taken up most street spaces. There were still places to park, but I think the workers from the Omni and convention center are taking a lot of them.

David Holt posted a photo on his insta of the park that is frame worthy. It shows all 28000+ people in attendance with the CC and downtown in the background. I would post it, but I'm at work!

Fantastic evening at the park. Had dinner at social capital and then walked the park until dark. Huge number of people walking around/playing - as you would expect so soon after opening but still great to see. The more I see the small details throughout the park the more impressed I am.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0DFECDB-96BA-4312-9BA5-73E840D61173.jpeg 
Views:	281 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	15648
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	841B13E8-9988-46E2-B1D5-CE54C5C23110.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	15646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82E3E16E-04B7-4CEC-8AE6-E5476ABD781E.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	15647  

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    David Holt posted a photo on his insta of the park that is frame worthy. It shows all 28000+ people in attendance with the CC and downtown in the background. I would post it, but I'm at work!
    That shot has a lighting affect that almost looks like it frames the top of a tower that could in theory be on the SE corner of the REHCO site...would be AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Here is that awesome photo!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191004_081901.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	538.9 KB 
ID:	15649

Aw, I'm not in it. I was off to the right a bit on that back edge of that hill

11. Default Re: Scissortail Park

That picture is incredible. The park is one of the things I was most excited about when I moved to OKC back in 2012. Pretty cool to finally see the end product.

Check out the UFO's at the top of the photo

I went and walked through the park this morning. It's amazing how big it is walking through it compared to driving by. What's the deal with all the padlocks all over the Skydance Bridge? There are probably well over a hundred of them

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I went and walked through the park this morning. It's amazing how big it is walking through it compared to driving by. What's the deal with all the padlocks all over the Skydance Bridge? There are probably well over a hundred of them
    Probably the same crap that happened to the bridge in Paris:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...dlocks-of-love

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    It's a thing couples do. I saw a bridge in Paris that was getting so heavy they had to ban the practice and cut a lot off due to the weight.

Press release:

October 9, 2019
    Scissortail Park lines up ongoing October events including a Fall Market, yoga and boot camps

OKLAHOMA CITY – With the success of Grand Opening Weekend now a part of Oklahoma City history, the events team at Scissortail Park has put together a line-up of ongoing, free events and activities with something for everyone in the Park this October.

Each Saturday join our horticulture team from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. near the Love’s Travel Stops Stage and Great Lawn for a Fall Market. Nearly 40 local vendors will be onsite offering everything from alpaca yarn, to craft beer, honey, herb plants, fall flowers, fruit from a no-spray orchard and much more. Daffodil bulbs will also be on sale, along with other Park-related merchandise.

For health and wellness practitioners, Gold’s Gym is presenting a free yoga class on Mondays from 6 to 7 p.m. This great, all-levels class is designed for ages 18 and up and is led by instructors from Gold’ Gym. Participants should check-in at the Boathouse Pavilion each week, and bring a yoga mat and water. Class locations will vary and late arrivals are not accepted five minutes in to class.

In addition, an all-levels boot camp, also presented by Gold’s Gym, is offered on Saturdays from 9 to 10 a.m. Check-in is at the Boathouse Pavilion and participants are asked to bring mats and dumbbells, although equipment will be provided by class instructors. Put on your workout gear, bring some water and amp up your fitness at Boathouse Boot Camp.

A variety of story times for children called ScissorTales are planned at the Playground and Play Pavilion. Bilingual ScissorTales are on Saturdays from 10 to 11 a.m. and feature stories, sing-a-long songs and a related, free craft. This activity is best for children ages 5 and under and they must be accompanied by an adult. On Tuesdays at 10 a.m. and Thursdays at 4 p.m. children of all abilities can spend an hour hearing stories, singing songs, moving around and participating in a free craft. The Del City Puppet Theater will make a special appearance on Thursday, October 24 at 4 p.m.

For information on all of the events described above, go to scissortailpark.org.

The new Scissortail Park is in the heart of a revitalized downtown Oklahoma City. This public space is part of the MAPS 3 program that envisions a healthy and vibrant quality of life for our city while serving as an investment in the future. Every detail is designed for connection – with nature, neighbors and ourselves. It is a place for play, culture, celebration and inspiration.

Scissortail Park features a variety of engaging experiences within 70 urban acres ranging from ornamental gardens and woodlands, to a lake and boathouse, children’s playground, grand promenade, water features, outdoor roller rink, an enclosed dog park, interactive fountain and much more.

Designed by one of the foremost landscape architecture planning firms in the world, Hargreaves Associates, the Park is also a horticultural tapestry of native prairie grasses, lush flower gardens and tree-lined walkways. Together we have created something spectacular. For everyone.

17. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Went to the market last Saturday. It was awesome. Bought some pears and cheese. I can see it getting bigger every weekend. Tons of families out too.

Only negative was the streetcar experience but that is for another thread.

I stopped by the market over the weekend when I went by the park on Saturday, it was neat. I wasn't really prepared to actually shop at it (I was parked a long way away), but I may go back with that in mind now that I know this will be a reoccurring event.

There were a pretty good number of vendors and lots of people around having a look at the merchandise and at the alpacas.

Blog Entries

I've ridden my bike through the park every day since it opened. Always good crowds. Would be interesting to know if attendance has impacted use at MBG and Wiley Post park.

Is parking currently free around the park? I saw no signs or meters

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Is parking currently free around the park? I saw no signs or meters
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes.
    Any clue for how long. Good parking for Thunder Games if it's free

I suspect meters are coming but even those are free after 6PM.

That hill is gonna be popular when it snows.

Took this yesterday afternoon from Social Capital.

I kid you not, there were hundreds of people in the park. I sat on that deck for two hours and there was a constant stream of people; I wouldn't have believed the volume had I not seen it myself.

Hundreds of cars parked on the vacant lots west of the park.

Thread Information