Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ken's Pizza

1. Default Ken's Pizza

No, they aren't coming back to Oklahoma, but for those of you that liked their pizza, for a limited time Mazzio's is making Ken's pizza for an anniversary special promotion. Ken's pizza was actually very good. Just thought I'd share this info with you.

Default Re: Ken's Pizza

You serious Clark? I havent seen anything about that, but will be looking to order one soon.

Man I used to like me some Kens Pizza buffet. I was fishing at Eufaula lake a few years back and saw that they still actually had a real Kens Pizza there. Dont know if thats the only one left, but there sure cant be many.

Which Mazzio's, all of them?

Makes sense, being that Mazzio's is the way more successful lil' brother of Ken's. Ken's was good in its time. Wasn't as good as Pizza Hut to me, and for certain wasn't as good as Godfather's in its prime, but it was good.

5. Default Re: Ken's Pizza

I know the one on 68th and N May will be serving the Ken's pizza. Not sure when this promotion starts, so you might call first.

Prunepicker Guest

From Mazzios Website:

Mazzio’s celebrates golden anniversary
    1/6/2011 /PizzaMarketplace.com

Mazzio’s LLC is offering a year-long pizza special in celebration of its 50th anniversary. The Tulsa, Okla.-based chain was founded on Nov. 11, 1961, by Ken Selby.
    It was originally called The Pizza Parlor and later changed to Ken’s Pizza. In 1979, Selby opened a second concept known as Mazzio’s Pizza.
    Now, Mazzio’s Italian Eatery entails 166 locations in 10 states. It offers an extensive menu of pizza, pasta, sandwiches and a salad bar.
    To commemorate its golden anniversary, Mazzio’s will sponsor celebrations and food specials throughout 2011. The year-long special is two large, one topping pizzas for $19.61, recognizing the year it all started.
    “It’s exciting to be a part of this successful local business Ken started 50 years ago,” said Greg Lippert, president and CEO of Mazzio’s LLC. “We would like to thank all of our customers for their years of support by offering them specials all year long.”

I barely remember Ken's pizza from my childhood but from what i do remember is that it was good. Can anyone discribe how it is different than Mazzio's?

Its back there with Rex's chicken which i recently got to eat again at the new Tulsa restaurant out in bixby and it tasted pretty close to what i remembered.

Man, I used to love Rex's chicken as a kid, I think their is also an older location in south central Oklahoma somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bradzilla View Post
    I barely remember Ken's pizza from my childhood but from what i do remember is that it was good. Can anyone discribe how it is different than Mazzio's?

Its back there with Rex's chicken which i recently got to eat again at the new Tulsa restaurant out in bixby and it tasted pretty close to what i remembered.

I'm curious too.

I remember Kens having really good thin crust pizzas. And thats about it really.

Rex's was the bomb too. The fry bread (or is it fried bread?) was awesome. You can get rexs chicken at Ballards in Pauls Valley.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Man, I used to love Rex's chicken as a kid, I think their is also
    an older location in south central Oklahoma somewhere.
    Rex's Chicken, I believe, started at Ballard's Drive In in Paul's
    Valley. At any rate, Johnny has been serving it for many, many
    years.

about rex's - i loved the jalapeno chicken; even as a child it was great.

will deff. try kens out next time i pass through the tulsa area.

Lord Helmet Guest

Man I remember Kens. My first job ever was at Kens on Broadway in Edmond bussing tables.

Has anyone ordered yet?

I've been seeing the commercials on TV "Full Of Flavor", lol. I don't remember them around here, but growing up I remember going to my Grandmas in Tulsa and seeing them right there shortly after the Toll Booth Gate on the Turner Turnpike. You had the big firework stand place and as you curved to the east where the highway splits right there on your right was a Ken's Pizza. Just reminds me of the childhood. Never ate at one but I liked the signs. I'm odd that way, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Man I remember Kens. My first job ever was at Kens on Broadway in Edmond bussing tables.
    Crap, I read this after making my post! Where in Edmond? Since that is where I grew up. Near 9th and Broadway? That's the only place I can think of... No, nevermind. It was down there close to where Payless Cashway used to be, wasn't it?? Just north of 33rd on the westside! That excites me that I can remember in one post. Thanks Lord Helmet, lol...

17. Default Re: Ken's Pizza

As I recall, Ken's in Edmond was located where Fuji Sushi is now - across from Hibdon's

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Has anyone ordered yet?
    The commercials have been really getting to me, i have always had a weakness for childhood foods. We are going to order one tonight and i'll report back in the morning.

Rex's, coney island (tulsa locations), webers, place in okmulgee called colemans burgers, kens pizza, old school grandys (when it was really good), and a few other places that come in and out of memory from time to time.

I've been seeing the commercial's for the Ken's style pizza & have a question: how does the Ken's style pizza different from Mazzio's standard thin crust pepperoni?

Here are the cliff notes -

Backstory -

-Havent had the pizza in prob 15-20 years
    -I was born in early 80's, remember pizza party's there along with getting takeout for TGIF when it was on tv
    -Baseline for comparison is we normally get a large original crust pizza when we order from mazzios, every once in a great while we get a price buster. The only other pizza we order is papajohns original crust and once a thin crust. The pizza doesn't compare in any way or shape to papa johns pizza. (wife likes papajohns better, i like mazzios)

Pizza -

-Last night ordered 1/2 pepporini and 1/2 sausage with extra sauce (since that is suposed to be the big selling point, i like extra sauce but wife doesnt but i figured since she didnt grow up around kens pizza that she would not know the difference )
    -When i went to pick it up i noticed it smelled alot spicier than their normal pizza's.
    -When i was driving back to the house I thought my wife would hate it because she dislikes spicy food or as i call it ' food with flavor.'
    -Everyone loved it, including my wife. She's 110lbs and she ate half of the large pizza, she never eats that much pizza.
    -Crust seemed simular to mazzios current thin crust IMO, like i mentioned before we always get original except for pricebusters and the crust seemed simular to whats on the pricebuster. But it was extremely good, and i think in the future im going to start asking for thin over the original crust.
    -Sauce was great, it was different than their current sauce. Alot spicer but not over powering. To me it seemed exactly like pizza sauce should taste and thats why in recent years I've lost most cravings for pizza because IMO most of it seems kinda bland. It reminded me of when the big pizza boom hit and all of a sudden, mazzios, pizza hut, dominos, godfathers, simple simons, and even mcdonalds were making pizza and everyone started to compare it to cardboard. Since then things have gotten better but no where near where pizza once was. I normally am the type of person who loads my pizza up with things, tons of parmesan, red pepper, garlic salt, extra italian seasoning, and even jalapenos.

This time the pizza was better by itself and we plan on ordering another before the special goes away. I would recommend it to anyone, even if they are turned off by the term spicy when they hear about a pizza. It was just a really good pizza and wasnt overpowering at all.

21. Default Re: Ken's Pizza

Isn't there a Ken's still in Chandler?

Thanks for the detailed review/explanation Bradzilla! It sounds pretty good. I was born in '78 & don't remember Ken's at all, I grew up in a Godfather's household lol (so excited, where I'm moving to in Utah has real Godfather's still). My folks have been asking about the Ken's style after seeing the commercials so now I can answer their questions. Personally I'm hesitant to try it because I'm allergic to Mazzio's red sauce, I'm afraid the Ken's sauce would start with the same base. Guess I'll stick to Papa Murphy's, even though I have to bake it myself it's still a better deal with a lot more toppings & their creamy garlic sauce is excellant.

I got one of these tonight and it was pretty good......as far as i can tell taste just Kens did back in the day. The best pizza in town ive had are Italian Jims in mustang,Papa Angelos in bethany and Italianos in Okc

24. Default Re: Ken's Pizza

Pizza is one of those things where there isn't a "better" or "the best" or anything else. It's just we all have a different taste for what we like and what we don't. It doesn't make it better or worse than what someone else likes. With that said, my favorite pizza is the old Crystal's Pizza made with provolone cheese which gave it that smokey flavor. There's still one in Dallas. www.crystalspizza.net... I'll have to go have some old Ken's Pizza at Mazzio's - another blast from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Pizza is one of those things where there isn't a "better" or "the best" or anything else. It's just we all have a different taste for what we like and what we don't. It doesn't make it better or worse than what someone else likes. With that said, my favorite pizza is the old Crystal's Pizza made with provolone cheese which gave it that smokey flavor. There's still one in Dallas. www.crystalspizza.net... I'll have to go have some old Ken's Pizza at Mazzio's - another blast from the past.
    Exactly, Mike. Just try getting people from New York and Chicago to agree about what is the best pizza. It's not going to happen. LOL

Thread Information