Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: John Rex Elementary

Default Re: Kirk Humphreys proposing downtown elementary school

For anyone who doubts the need for another downtown elementary school, look at the numbers for Wilson (PDF). Wilson is overflowing, and the capacity problems have gotten much worse the last few years as more people have moved downtown. Their class sizes are huge for an elementary school. Even after all the renovations are complete, it will still only have a 346 student capacity.

While we're on the subject of Wilson, it's worth pointing out that a non-profit named Wilson Arts, Inc. was formed to help support the school. Wilson Arts, Inc. raised over $684,000 through a capital campaign to supplement the MAPS renovations, particularly those concerning the fine arts classrooms. Kirk Humphreys and Dannie Bea Hightower were the co-chairs of this organization's board of directors.

I love a good conspiracy theory, but let's not act as if Kirk Humphreys doesn't have a history of supporting this particular cause.

A downtown school would mean Humphreys would stand to make a mint developing downtown residential properties as one of the primary obstacles to living downtown with kids would be removed. Let's not pretend he's being totally charitable in this pursuit. That said, this would be to the betterment of the city regardless of who makes money and I don't mind seeing nice guys win every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Eep View Post
    For anyone who doubts the need for another downtown elementary school, look at the numbers for Wilson (PDF). Wilson is overflowing, and the capacity problems have gotten much worse the last few years as more people have moved downtown. Their class sizes are huge for an elementary school. Even after all the renovations are complete, it will still only have a 346 student capacity.

While we're on the subject of Wilson, it's worth pointing out that a non-profit named Wilson Arts, Inc. was formed to help support the school. Wilson Arts, Inc. raised over $684,000 through a capital campaign to supplement the MAPS renovations, particularly those concerning the fine arts classrooms. Kirk Humphreys and Dannie Bea Hightower were the co-chairs of this organization's board of directors.

I love a good conspiracy theory, but let's not act as if Kirk Humphreys doesn't have a history of supporting this particular cause.
    THANK YOU. My point exactly. It's a teachable lesson that Kirk soured his reputation with one weird deal, but it is ridiculous for people who have done squat for OKC to lambaste someone who has for a long time been committed to community and education, both downtown, and city-wide.

This isn't the Kirk Humphreys Elementary School. He is just lending a hand to help the downtowners behind this to get the ball rolling and navigate the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    THANK YOU. My point exactly. It's a teachable lesson that Kirk soured his reputation with one weird deal, but it is ridiculous for people who have done squat for OKC to lambaste someone who has for a long time been committed to community and education, both downtown, and city-wide.

This isn't the Kirk Humphreys Elementary School. He is just lending a hand to help the downtowners behind this to get the ball rolling and navigate the process.
    Who is lambasting him? He's a developer. A good developer financially benefits when he benefits the community. If he's laying the groundwork for development which will lure wealthy taxpayers back from the 'burbs and generally improve our downtown, great. That's a good thing. His reasons may not be 100% altruistic, but on the balance, this is all good stuff for OKC.

The fact of the matter is that downtown development drained Humphreys Co of resources and now they're building lake houses out at Eufala in order to stay afloat and build themselves back up so they can get back in the downtown game...

Keep that in mind if we're going to frame Kirk's backing this cause with the whole greedy developer thing..

Who is lambasting him?
    I hope that he does and this is not a get rich scheme at tax payer expense.
    All in all, I'm starting to think crappy journalism is to blame for this. Kirk Humphreys isn't proposing anything new and the article doesn't stress (not even for its braindead readers apparently) that this was approved EONS ago in MAPS for Kids. Actually, it was proposed by Kirk Humphreys..in like, 1998. And then overwhelmingly approved by voters. Article fails to mention THAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    that said, this would be to the betterment of the city regardless of who makes money and I don't mind seeing nice guys win every so often.

This new school would potentially benefit hundreds of kids and future generations of development in OKC. I fall into the "group" that if/when I buy a condo downtown in the next couple of years, I do so realizing I will move again when I have kids ready for school because the numbers show me my children will benefit more elsewhere.
    The desire and demand from this "group" of people is a lot larger than most people think. This school could spark so much good in this city that to say this shouldn't happen because one man could financially benefit is completely selfish. If someone doesn't agree with it from the City's standpoint, I can respect that. But if someone doesn't agree with it because they have sour grapes towards someone that could financially benefit, I think that is just complete selfish thinking for taking away a great thing for the city because of a grudge you have with someone.
    The city and its future demands way more respect than your 15 year grudge.

Bob the Builder may just have sour grapes over the idea that his suburban sprawl LLC won't benefit from a new school being built in downtown like it would if it were out on the hinterlands of Central Oklahoma. That said, I just don't understand the people who only view City Hall actions in terms of who is making money off of it. Sometimes it's just the right thing for the city to do, but that never matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eep View Post

But what about OTHER okc public elementary schools in the area that are not at capacity? the last thing OKCPS needs to do is build a new school...

Some other OKCPS schools nearby (probably about the same distance from downtown as Wilson)

*Dunbar Elementary address: 1432 NE 7th Street
    Westwood Elementary address is 1701 Exchange Avenue
    Moon Academy grades K-8 address 1901 Northeast 13th Street

From NewsOK:

The city school board voted to close Dunbar Elementary, 1432 NE Seventh, this year in the face of an enrollment of 176 students and the potential savings of $300,000 a year.

Students from Dunbar Elementary will be split between two schools. Those who live north of NE 10 Street will attend Parks Elementary School and students who live south of NE 10 Street will attend Edwards Elementary. The district will offer transportation to both schools from the old Dunbar, 1432 NE Seventh St

Again, OKCPS does not need to build any more new schools. They can't even maintain the ones they do have. I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible, as I was OKCPS-educated from K-12.
    Last edited by okyeah; 08-10-2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: *

Bob the Builder may just have sour grapes over the idea that his suburban sprawl LLC won't benefit from a new school being built in downtown like it would if it were out on the hinterlands of Central Oklahoma. That said, I just don't understand the people who only view City Hall actions in terms of who is making money off of it. Sometimes it's just the right thing for the city to do, but that never matters.
    I think that should just be part of the focus. But is it the right thing to do even if illegal means are used to accomplish it? The end justifying the means?

It also amazes me that some (not pointed at you Spartan) who don't have any problem when the City or its leaders engage in illegal activity. And continue on with the illegal activity only because "that is what the voters are used too" and when they admit prior actions were probably illegal but they continue on with it because "no one challenged it". Promising that they will adhere to the law this time, but then do the exact opposite?

NOT trying to imply that any illegal activity is going on in this particular instance.

But aren't there laws in place that if certain criteria is met, makes it illegal for elected City officials (and former) from financially benefiting from City actions. Especially if they knew about those actions beforehand?

Again, I am not saying that has happened in this case or not. I don't know enough background on it.

Quote Originally Posted by okyeah View Post
    But what about OTHER okc public elementary schools in the area that are not at capacity? the last thing OKCPS needs to do is build a new school...

Some other OKCPS schools nearby (probably about the same distance from downtown as Wilson)

*Dunbar Elementary address: 1432 NE 7th Street
    Westwood Elementary address is 1701 Exchange Avenue
    Moon Academy grades K-8 address 1901 Northeast 13th Street
    For reference (PDF):
    Dunbar
    Westwood
    Moon

First of all, not a single one of those schools' boundaries includes downtown. I didn't select Wilson as an example randomly; I chose it because it serves downtown.

Secondly, the only one of the three with decent academic performance is Westwood. Dunbar was failing academically. Moon is failing academically, and has just been named to the "needs improvement" list for the fifth consecutive year. From a NewsOK article on June 8, 2010:
    The board also approved a continuous learning calendar at F.D. Moon Academy as part of the school's mandated federal reform because of poor academic performance for five consecutive years. School will begin 12 days earlier and provide an additional 15 days of instruction during intercession for students behind grade level.

Ed Allen, president of the American Federation of Teachers, said teachers at Moon were not pleased to find out during the last week of school that next year would be a continuous learning calendar.

"Half of the teachers have requested to transfer,” Allen said. "Reform is pretty tough when you surprise people at the last minute.”
    Are you really suggesting that people who live or want to live downtown should be ok with having to file transfer applications to send their children to failing schools in other areas? That's ludicrous.

Default McDermid chosen as architect for downtown school

New article by Steve:

The downtown development community is watching closely as site selection is about to begin for a downtown elementary school — one of the final projects in the MAPS for Kids program.

Architect hired to oversee site selection, design of downtown OKC elementary TAParchitecture, which oversaw design of four other MAPS for Kids schools and is a longtime player in the downtown business community, was chosen for the task.

Anthony McDermid, a principal in the firm, said the project will be unlike other MAPS for Kids schools.

“We have been discussing an urban school,” McDermid said. “The possibility of it being on more than one level is certainly being contemplated. I will be very surprised if it's a suburban model in an urban context.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/architect-hired-to...#ixzz17kV4bS00

Default Re: McDermid chosen as architect for downtown school

Nice! Hopefully the end result will be urban in design. This is a very important development in terms of attracting more downtown residents.

What about on Oklahoma Avenue north of Jimmy John's? It's just north of the majority of new housing and is more truly "downtown" than midtown, which is where I assume several of the site proposals will be.

This is a prime opportunity to make an iconic school downtown. I wish we could get some old-school throw back design like this.

^^^

Yes!

You'll notice they have not ruled adapting an existing building which is something I would favor if something suitable can be found.

Is the Oklahoma City High School building still in existence (as seen in this postcard at the link below). Sorry not a direct link, have to scroll down to the "Schools" section. If anyone can directly post here feel free. Looks like it might have been downtown.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

Larry, it absolutely still exists. It is shown in post number 8116 above. It was later known as Central High School and has until recently served as an office building for Southwestern Bell.

The downtown elementary will go a long ways toward helping to establish a true residential neighborhood downtown.

The downtown elementary will go a long ways toward helping to establish a true residential neighborhood downtown.
    That's what I'm hoping. I have a friend with a two year old who is really wanting to move downtown but was hesitant because of the school situation. I'm sure she is not the only one who wouldn't currently move because of the absence of a school.

It will be interesting to see if the eventual site is in C2S or somewhere farther north.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    That's what I'm hoping. I have a friend with a two year old who is really wanting to move downtown but was hesitant because of the school situation. I'm sure she is not the only one who wouldn't currently move because of the absence of a school.

It will be interesting to see if the eventual site is in C2S or somewhere farther north.
    If they don't adapt an existing building, I think the C2S area would be ideal considering the potential for future housing in that area and the opportunity to take an unused land area and develop it to suit the needs of the school instead of the other way around.

Would love to see the old Central High School building be re-converted into the downtown school.

I think you'd see more people arguing that if only the old Central High School building were in any kind of danger. It does not need to be an elementary school in order to remain a good part of downtown.

We have enough old buildings that are in real danger, if we want to talk about renovating a vacant historic building.

And ljbab, how do we develop C2S to fit the needs of the elementary school? That sounds kinda like Bricktown currently..Lol

I think you'd see more people arguing that if only the old Central High School building were in any kind of danger. It does not need to be an elementary school in order to remain a good part of downtown.

We have enough old buildings that are in real danger, if we want to talk about renovating a vacant historic building.

And ljbab, how do we develop C2S to fit the needs of the elementary school? That sounds kinda like Bricktown currently..Lol
    Spartan, I didn't say anything about developing C2S to fit the needs of an elementary school. What I meant was the school could be developed to suit the needs of the school. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. And as for the Central High School building, it's much too large for an elementary school.

Agree completely with you. Glad you did not mean that a non-suburban neighborhood should be built around an elementary school.

But it's actually not a bad or illegitimate idea. We have neighborhoods all over the inner north south, as well as the inner south, that were built with schools as their center piece. I just think we have too far to go till building urbs for families is economically viable, although I could be wrong, maybe that's what this equation has been missing all long. Maybe in order for Bricktown to thrive we need a completely separate thing for families and need to tap the economic power of families in OKC.

Just some contrasting thoughts to throw out there..

Thread Information