Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge @ Midtown

Default Re: The Edge @ Midtown (Mercy Hospital Site)

They used some poor wording on a few of the issues presented in the flyer. The two that caught my eye the most were concerns about lack of parking, concerns of what businesses will be in the apartments, lack of space from curb to building, lack of green spaces for pets, utility usage, available water to the area and traffic brought to the neighborhood.

They also pointed out that they were concerned with what would happen to area schools, which is funny because I would bet good money that most of the kids in the heritage hill / mesta goto private schools. Hell, most the people in that area are of age to be grandparents. Not too many school age kids. There are some kids in the area who are really young it looks like on 16th, but not many. Most the kids come from people who rent in the area, which I am sure pisses off all the HH/MP old money people.

The people in this area should be more supportive of this project. I rent in the area, and having that crappy empty lot that is only used on Sunday mornings is disgusting. The flyer sent out came across as a call to battle against it. They made a point to show that if the proposal doesn't pass the meeting, it is dead.

This design has already passed before several city bodies, including the Downtown Design Review Committee. The DDRC actually came back to the developers with some suggested changes which they have made.

This will pass the committee easily and even if it doesn't, likely there will just be a few suggested tweaks.

People may recall the original selection of the Overholser Green project was due to asking the input of MP/HH homeowners. Of course, they wanted the expensive condo option but that project failed miserably and only delayed development of this key parcel for years.

3. Default Re: The Edge @ Midtown (Mercy Hospital Site)

Not sure where the opponents are coming from on this. Wanted to attend a presentation about the project to the Neighborhood Assoc. last week where I heard these concerns were voiced, but I wasn't in town.

These particular apartments offer far fewer reasons for concern than other buildings that have been around for decades (the new part of the Aberdeen Apartments, for example, a pretty ugly design that does little to enhance the neighborhood).

If we want to take on design concerns in our neighborhood, how about the enormous surface parking lots that cut into the Mesta Park neighborhood around American Fidelity? The same situation in Heritage Hills around St. Luke's? These lots, especially American Fidelity's, are far more detrimental to the property values, appearance, and security of our neighborhood than a fairly expensive apartment complex in a clearly separate nearby neighborhood, which will fill with young energy company employees and their new puppies. In fact, residents of these apartments are likely to be future homebuyers in HH/MP. It's good marketing.

Here is the notice sent out to Mesta Park residents.

Just curious. From whom did this letter come? Interesting that they use the heading "General Concerns" and then list out nearly every aspect of the project. Lol

This reminds me of the whole uproar that occurred in Crown Heights a few years ago when the Humphreys tried to develop the land behind First Christian and adjacent to the Broadway Extension. When are these older neighborhoods going to realize that they are situated in an urban environment and all the blocks of empty land aren't going to stay that way for ever? If a good, solid project is going to into these areas and the developer is willing to work with concerned residents, its a lot better than an out of state developer coming in and building a strip mall that will house a liquor store, dry cleaners and gas station.

7. Default Re: The Edge @ Midtown (Mercy Hospital Site)

Lot of bad info going out in these emails.

No name attached, this was not an e-mail it was a flyer delivered to each house in Mesta Park.

Thanks very much, Curtis.

Sounds like the HOA's aren't necessarily behind this; could just be one or two people, especially since no name was signed to the letter.

I live in Mesta, 1/2 a block west of HH, and haven't received a flyer.

Wonder if they skipped my block since we are about half apartments, half single family - in other words, already part of this riff-raff.

I think people need to back off the neighborhood associations. These neighborhoods are strong because they have a good association and they do have concerns about new developments. Let's remember that this developer does have a track record for a recent multifamily housing development. I know we keep hearing that the EDGE will be different but we should all be concerned about this until it is completed.

Okc needs more (not less) of these type of neighborhood associations.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I think people need to back off the neighborhood associations. These neighborhoods are strong because they have a good association and they do have concerns about new developments. Let's remember that this developer does have a track record for a recent multifamily housing development. I know we keep hearing that the EDGE will be different but we should all be concerned about this until it is completed.

Okc needs more (not less) of these type of neighborhood associations.
    I'm glad he has a track record of success. Is that a bad thing? I don't think you need to back off HOA's when they are over stepping their bounds and making false claims and/or requesting ridiculous things from the developer. Also, there are many things they are saying that are veiled in some pretty poor attitudes/views.

Some people are so resistant to change. I also find in funny that the "concerns" are a summary of the project.

Very nice post, Sid.

this project is not in their neighborhood and will will not be part of their neighborhood asociation ...

all the residents will be able to become members of Urban Neighbors (downtowns neighborhood asociation)

they don't like the lack of set backs ..IMHO that is 100% non negiotable they don't like the # of apts IMHO more would be better they don't like the height / IMHO taller would be better they want to control/limit the retail space / IMHO non of thier business they don't control any of the space on walker south of 13th ...

and as others have said they have a 4 lane road buffer and a row of com development on the north side of 13th between this development and HH/mesta

and they ask if you opose this development come to the meeting ..... well i would say those that support this development (and those like it) to come to the meeting if you can

So I take it that neither Heritage Hills nor Mesta Park NA boards contacted the UN board? They should respect their boundaries. It is not in their neighborhood. If they still have a problem with it, they should reach out to the UN and follow common etiquette protocol.

Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

I read that memo and saw it dissolve into Teacher speak from a Charlie Brown special. Once I translated it to simple English, all I really see is "It's different than us, and that's bad." Yeah, the suggestion that supporters think about packing the house might cause some of the concerners to be less likely to want to speak out on whatever it is that's truly bugging them.

Wonk, whaa, wah, haa, hah...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Thanks very much, Curtis.

Sounds like the HOA's aren't necessarily behind this; could just be one or two people, especially since no name was signed to the letter.
    The more I think about it, the more I think your right about this not being driven by the HOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    So I take it that neither Heritage Hills nor Mesta Park NA boards contacted the UN board? They should respect their boundaries. It is not in their neighborhood. If they still have a problem with it, they should reach out to the UN and follow common etiquette protocol.
    This is BS, Midtown is viable because people in HH and MP worked very hard to stabilize it and make it an attractive area for investment. Heritage Hills has a total 135 houses, in all of HH. The density of 255 units is very damaging to their hard work to bring back the heritage neighborhoods; as well as Midtown. The number of 1 bedrooms is to attract a transient population. It is not about building a new neighborhood. UN has not been active in this neighborhood but to have parties at the restaurants. What a laugh that these neighborhoods which have worked for decades to save this area should go beg permission from UN. So insulting.
    The City's own consultants determined what the appropriate density should be here on page 22- 25.
    http://www.okc.gov/planning/tenthstr...reetreport.pdf

The Saint Anthony electric grid is severely compromised currently. There where many brown outs last summer with the high heat. The Sieber had to upgrade their service again just as the project was coming on line. Regardless of their excess service to protect them in the summer, the elevators were knocked out 4 times resulting in very expensive service calls.

It is unfortunate that the new president of Heritage Hills at the time did not know it was his responsibility to advise his board. The number of people concerned definitely number in the hundreds.

that plan/study is horrbile concerning this site ... the "plan" calls for surface parking in the middle .. and being south of HH has nothing to do with making this site good for housing ... the fact that the site is large and in Midtown close to a growing bar and restaraunt district is why it is a great spot for housing

the idea that it needs to be a transition property from HH/mesta to midtown is a joke .. the mercy site is not next to or across the street from any Residential

it is across the street (4lane street) from a comercial buffer ... Midtown is not viable because of HH and mp it is viable because it is Midtown has a huge employeer in its district up and coming residential and destination growing food/bar retail

Quote Originally Posted by city View Post
    "This is BS," "So insulting."
    Look, UN is a formally organized NA through Neighborhood Alliance and registered as a non-profit at the state. It has formal boundaries just like Heritage Hills and Mesta Park. They have board/business meetings once a month. It is a proper courtesy to respect that and reach out to the UN board to let them formally know what your concerns are and ask for formal support.

I am not debating the merits of a logical argument with regards to whether the support services are there. We all know that often such systems are often stretched thin. But organize what the issues are in a comprehensive manner.

NA's should support one another and their positive development as organizations. Tearing one down based on historic organizational merits doesn't help build a cohesive positive community. There were plenty of civic pursuits that UN members have pursued over many years for the greater good as has MP and HH.

Quote Originally Posted by city View Post
    This is BS, Midtown is viable because people in HH and MP worked very hard to stabilize it and make it an attractive area for investment. Heritage Hills has a total 135 houses, in all of HH. The density of 255 units is very damaging to their hard work to bring back the heritage neighborhoods; as well as Midtown.
    Doesn't the child you raise eventually have to grow up and take on its own identity someday? Looks like your plan of stabilization is backfiring on you.....better run for the hills because it looks like Midtown is booming and bringing all sorts of economic success to the city.

24. Default Re: The Edge @ Midtown (Mercy Hospital Site)

What nobody is mentioning yet is that the president of the Heritage Hills neighborhood association was on the committee that recommended The Edge be chosen. Gotta hate it when someone like me is taking notes....

Yes Steve, the neighborhood knows that now. But he could not speak for the neighborhood without going back to the board. Which he didn't.

Thread Information