Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge @ Midtown

Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Well, there is certainly no doubt that Nichols's influence in city matters is greatly expanding.

He is now chairman of the new Alliance for Economic Development, chairman of OCURA, member (along with his employee, John Williams) of the Convention Center Sub-committee, board member for the Chamber of Commerce (former chairman), past chairman of the State Chamber, director for the National Cowboy Museum, Downtown OKC, Inc., the Myriad Gardens, the State Fair board and who knows what else.

There is no doubt he means well and we all greatly appreciate Devon Tower. But he's been a part of some very bad decisions made by OCURA, seems to have financed some shady dealings in the recent city council election and is now heavily involved in controversial tactics surrounding MAPS 3 and the convention center.

I don't doubt that his intentions are good but one person having this much power is scary, especially when his past judgment in several key civic issues has been dubious.

Being smart/good at one thing (the oil and gas business) does not make you brilliant at everything. In fact, you could make a strong argument that the hubris that comes from corporate success has led to lots of civic disasters.

Has anyone obtained a copy of the site plan that was approved and can post it? It would be interesting to see how they resolved the issues/board suggestions regarding the garage and retail.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Well, there is certainly no doubt that Nichols's influence in city matters is greatly expanding.

He is now chairman of the new Alliance for Economic Development, chairman of OCURA, member (along with his employee, John Williams) of the Convention Center Sub-committee, board member for the Chamber of Commerce (former chairman), past chairman of the State Chamber, director for the National Cowboy Museum, Downtown OKC, Inc., the Myriad Gardens, the State Fair board and who knows what else.

There is no doubt he means well and we all greatly appreciate Devon Tower. But he's been a part of some very bad decisions made by OCURA, seems to have financed some shady dealings in the recent city council election and is now heavily involved in controversial tactics surrounding MAPS 3 and the convention center.

I don't doubt that his intentions are good but one person having this much power is scary, especially when his past judgment in several key civic issues has been dubious.

Being smart/good at one thing (the oil and gas business) does not make you brilliant at everything. In fact, you could make a strong argument that the hubris that comes from corporate success has led to lots of civic disasters.

You are probably right, but he also has the clout to get things done when many others don't.

That's very true Rover, and there is a lot to be said for that. And on the whole, his money, time and influence have been fantastic for OKC.

I just worry about him deciding that he doesn't like the street car (just as an example) and using all that power in a way lots of us don't want. I think that is already happening with the convention center.

And it's also the way this city was run for decades: way too much power and control concentrated in the hands of a few people that were equally confident they knew what was best.

Just to throw this out while we are on the subject. The land Devon Tower sits on was sold to Devon by OCURA. Basically Larry Nichols sold public land to himself. However, I think he abstained from voting to avoid a conflict of interest (I almost laughed out loud while typing that last sentence).

Nichols resigned from OCURA before that deal went through. I really don't have an issue with that and am of course thrilled with how that land was used.

7. Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Has anyone obtained a copy of the site plan that was approved and can post it? It would be interesting to see how they resolved the issues/board suggestions regarding the garage and retail.
    Anyone?

Nichols resigned from OCURA before that deal went through. I really don't have an issue with that and am of course thrilled with how that land was used.
    He resigned and then he was made Chariman, how did that happen? How long was he not a part of OCURA? For the record, I am not anti-Nichols either. I might disagree with him on the CC stuff but that is only about 2% of what he does. A 98% approval rating is pretty good.

Maybe we need an OCURA thread to put some of these questions and comments since we have strayed from Mercy a bit.

Has Brooks filed to submit his project for design review next month?

Brooks said he is pursuing an aggressive schedule that calls for submittal of the project to the Downtown Design Review Committee in September and construction to start in August 2012.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-urba...#ixzz1WA9zI8BC
    I really hope that OCURA keeps on Mr. Brooks on schedule.

Yes, they made some minor changes to the street level retail and to the NW corner for the streetcar line. Now it's submitted I believe.

11. Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Survey stakes on the site now...

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    He resigned and then he was made Chariman, how did that happen? How long was he not a part of OCURA? For the record, I am not anti-Nichols either. I might disagree with him on the CC stuff but that is only about 2% of what he does. A 98% approval rating is pretty good.

Maybe we need an OCURA thread to put some of these questions and comments since we have strayed from Mercy a bit.
    We DO have an OCURA thread, have had several for years

They're doing soil testing/drillling on the site today. It was nice to see some activity there.

I forget how far Wiggin got, but I believe Henderson is already further along??

Just a clarification; Henderson is not the developer for the Mercy site, Gary Brooks is.

Leslie Batchelor, an attorney for Urban Renewal, reported that an appraisal by consultant Michael Stacy suggests the land be sold to Brooks for $1,020,000 – more than the $850,000 purchase price submitted by Brooks when he competed for the project against four other development groups.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-urba...#ixzz1Z64ibNC5
    Is there any truth that this piece of information is causing problems and will delay this project?

Final approval of plat goes before the Downtown Design Review Committee in a couple of weeks. Looks like they are moving along:

Site plan looks really good. That corner cut on the NW will probably raise some questions, but that was important to get a concession on so that the streetcar line doesn't have to make a hard right turn there. When will they put a sign up??

Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    Just a clarification; Henderson is not the developer for the Mercy site, Gary Brooks is.
    Okay, fine. Brooks/Henderson. Henderson is more of a "known" factor to most though.

I'm very excited that they incorporated our streetcar line into their site plan. It is important to make that right hand turn off of Dewey onto 13th at the proper radius. I have also seen plans depicting a stop at Walker that they have provided room for. All very promising thus far.

Very cool. I was wondering about that diagonal NE corner as well, is that for the tram stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Very cool. I was wondering about that diagonal NE corner as well, is that for the tram stop?
    No. It is just on the curb there and not depicted in any way. I'm actually thinking of advocating that right hand turn be made through grass/landscaping so that the track is completely isolated from the pedestrian area. In that way the operator doesn't have to worry quite as much not being able to see pedestrians on that bend. They should be on a sidewalk. Not on the tracks, thus the "greenbelt" idea.

22. Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Site plan looks really good. That corner cut on the NW will probably raise some questions, but that was important to get a concession on so that the streetcar line doesn't have to make a hard right turn there. When will they put a sign up??

Okay, fine. Brooks/Henderson. Henderson is more of a "known" factor to most though.
    The more I learn about this project, the more I'd say it's Brooks alone, with Henderson only as an investor, but not leading the development...

It seems that way.

Wanted to note that Gary Brooks was quoted by OKC.BIZ that he hopes to break ground in August of 2012.

Pete, since this project has a name, you should change the title of this thread to
    The Edge @ Midtown.

Thread Information