Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge @ Midtown

1. Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

It doesn't really bother me that the residences are "gated"; really can't tell since most of the these proposals are built to the street edge. You'd only know it's gated if you attempted to enter the inner courtyard, residential entry ways, or the parking garage. Which you really shouldn't be entering if you're not a resident anyways. I'm hoping for retail though with The Edge if in anyway possible.

Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    It doesn't really bother me that the residences are "gated"; really can't tell since most of the these proposals are built to the street edge. You'd only know it's gated if you attempted to enter the inner courtyard, residential entry ways, or the parking garage. Which you really shouldn't be entering if you're not a resident anyways. I'm hoping for retail though with The Edge if in anyway possible.
    Well if you're worried about quality at the Central Avenue Villas you should reconsider Brooks/Henderson "The Edge" and the Tanenbaum "Connection" projects. Tanenbaum's new construction project "The Lincoln" is very cheaply constructed and I have a friend who moved from Legacy Arts because of numerous maintenance problems including 3 water break issues all originating from other adjacent apartments.
    I am incensed that Henderson says sorry 'bout that I'll do better next time.

3. Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Well I don't necessarily prefer The Edge, but I'm saying that if it's the clear favorite, I hope they at least address the lack of retail. To be clear, I haven't made a personal preference of proposals for the Mercy Site. I'm just anxiously waiting to see who gets it. Regardless, it's so disappointing to hear rumors of these new "urban", "high-quality", and not to mention over-priced developments already having maintenance issues.

Blog Entries

Is Legacy Arts considered "high quality"? Not from what I have heard. Hope we get it right in Mid Town though.

It does seem like Wiggin has by far the most urban proposal.

6. Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Is Legacy Arts considered "high quality"? Not from what I have heard.
    Umm. If they're marketed at as "luxury apartments", then I would expect damn high quality work, wouldn't you?

Yes, but unfortunately "Luxury" is a term thrown about freely when it comes to housing. Depends on your definition. Some complexes consider it to be a luxury if they have what most consider to be basics (working plumbing, no leaks, working heat/air, dishwasher etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Yes, but unfortunately "Luxury" is a term thrown about freely when it comes to housing. Depends on your definition. Some complexes consider it to be a luxury if they have what most consider to be basics (working plumbing, no leaks, working heat/air, dishwasher etc).
    Yep....Unless it is built as a tax credit property pretty much any apartment development now is touted as "luxury" whether it deserves the title or not. Construction quality is usually not a high priority as most things built now are built to a temporary status level.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Well, we can all agree that Legacy markets itself as "luxury" yet is not, however the point about the disappointing problems is a strong point because of the rents they are charging. $939-$1,119 for 1 bedroom, and $1,309-$1,519 for 2 bedrooms.
    http://www.legacyatartsquarter.com/L...loorplans.aspx

It's a shame too, because it's a great location.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Yep....Unless it is built as a tax credit property pretty much any apartment development now is touted as "luxury" whether it deserves the title or not. Construction quality is usually not a high priority as most things built now are built to a temporary status level.
    How can you say that? This is a great example of luxury in Mustang, Oklahoma.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...2,34,,1,-10.84

And it has a McDonalds across the street as a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well, we can all agree that Legacy markets itself as "luxury" yet is not, however the point about the disappointing problems is a strong point because of the rents they are charging. $939-$1,119 for 1 bedroom, and $1,309-$1,519 for 2 bedrooms.
    http://www.legacyatartsquarter.com/L...loorplans.aspx

It's a shame too, because it's a great location.
    GULP. 2 to 3 times what I pay for a 2 bedroom. I would agree, it better be dang luxurious for that price point. Yet I am sure others will say that is typical price just to live in Downtown (no matter what the quality/luxury level).

No, those prices are in line with the Montgomery just 2-3 blocks down Walker, and none of these problems there. You can find a nice, stylish 1 br apartment downtown for $700-800 without all of the problems at the Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    How can you say that? This is a great example of luxury in Mustang, Oklahoma.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...2,34,,1,-10.84

And it has a McDonalds across the street as a bonus.
    Nothing say luxury like being behind an auto parts store.

Is this the same site we are still talking about (dated 11/7/98)?

Developer Envisions Housing At Old Mercy Hospital Site
    Oklahoma City has a suitor for a blighted north downtown block that once was the home of Mercy Hospital.

Old Mercy Redevelopers, a partnership led by Nicholas J. Preftakes, promised to replace the dilapidated hospital with $11.8 million in housing....
    Preftakes' proposal includes 16 two-story townhomes, 72 "city villas" and 52 apartments. A 260-space parking garage on the block would be restored, if possible, with nine lofts added to the roof. About 1,600 square feet on the garage's first floor would be reserved for retail use.
    The hospital property is just south of the historic and affluent Heritage Hills neighborhood, a couple of blocks northeast of St. Anthony Hospital and within walking distance of a planned $38 million, 500-employee federal complex.
    Preftakes pledged to complete the project within two years of the city delivering him "a buildable site."
    Read more: http://newsok.com/developer-envision...#ixzz1OIXJFpoy

Big Urban Renewal meeting today?

Ellard/Tannenbaum out

Wiggin/Hendersen in

Final decision at meeting in two weeks.

Wow! That's huge! I like the two remaining concepts.

Urban Renewal will continue talks with two developers on MidTown site in Oklahoma City
    Two of four competing MidTown developers will get another month to state their case on why they are best suited to build apartments on an Urban Renewal site where two previous housing proposals failed in Oklahoma City.

BY STEVE LACKMEYER slackmeyer@opubco.com Oklahoman Leave a comment
    Published: June 10, 2011

Two of four competing MidTown developers will get another month to state their cases on why they are best suited to build apartments on an Urban Renewal site where two previous housing proposals failed.

Read more: http://newsok.com/urban-renewal-will...#ixzz1OsOc8vaO

also of note is that brooks/henderson are adding 7,200 sqft of retail back on walker in their project .... that makes them tied IMHO ... the winner should be whomever can get their project started/finished first

I did get to talk to Gary Brooks. He seems very excited about the streetcar coming by the property. I had not met him before and he seems to be a really nice guy.

The Wiggin people took off before I had a chance to talk to them. Regrets to Marva Ellard and Stephen Tannebaum. They both had great project ambitions and hopefully will use the knowledge elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I did get to talk to Gary Brooks. He seems very excited about the streetcar coming by the property. I had not met him before and he seems to be a really nice guy.

The Wiggin people took off before I had a chance to talk to them. Regrets to Marva Ellard and Stephen Tannebaum. They both had great project ambitions and hopefully will use the knowledge elsewhere.
    i wish one of the other 3 would aquire the big block 10th to 11th between harvey and hudson and build a project there

Who owns it?

After looking on the county assessor's site, it looks like Midtown Renaissance owns most of the block. There is this project that is in their future lineup as well that I've never heard anyone mention: 11th Street Lofts

23. Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Yes, but that would be an existing structure conversion. I've seen the building depicted in that sketchup on that lot, so I wonder how they might incorporate that into maybe a new development?

I would hope they'd be willing to sell the rest of what they own on the block to someone like Tanenbaum or Ellard. I don't think a new, added-on development is consistent with Midtown R's portfolio of historical renovation.

25. Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Very true. Maybe even scrap and sell that project all-together to allow for the contiguous use of the entire block?

Thread Information