Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Wal Mart near Reno and Midwest Blvd

Default Re: Old Wal Mart near Reno and Midwest Blvd

If I remember right, the new Wal-Mart Market will open on September 21.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    If I remember right, the new Wal-Mart Market will open on September 21.
    It is open. I'll probably go there tomorrow and check it out. Stay tuned for report!

Checked out the new Wal-Mart Market located at Reno and MidWest Blvd. The store is larger than most Neighborhood Markets and is laid out more like a traditional grocery store. The produce department has been redesigned to try and look like Sunflower Farmers Market. One weird thing that Wal-Mart did in the new design is that they did away with separate mens and womens restrooms. The restrooms are now unisex "Family Restrooms". No urinals in the restrooms means lazy men and boys will be pissing on the toilet seats.

Walked every single aisle to check out prices and product availability. For a relatively small store (40K SF), the product choices pretty good. Too much "Great Value" dominance, as usual with WalMart stores. Some things I haven't seen elsewhere such as organics and gluten free.
    Nice produce section - excellent choices tucked neatly into great display. Fair ready-to-eat section at front of store. Room to add more products - I went at 8 AM and no hot food out yet.
    Not bad on non-food sections such as health and beauty. Pet food prices comparable to Target and WalMart Super Centers.
    Pre-packaged bakery and deli meats. Frozen food selection good but didn't have some things I like from Homeland (Steuffers products in small sizes).
    I hate shopping at WM Super Centers because of size of store and mobility issues, but this size was just right and prices fair. I'll go again, I'm sure - especially if it continues to be not crowded at early morning hours. I love the new store smell!

The main thing I like about it.... Prices will always be great at both Midwest City Crest Stores. I have never cared for the Neighborhood Markets. They never have what I want as far as the main shopping list is concerned. The only time I shop in one is when I am in a hurry and they are the nearest place to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Checked out the new Wal-Mart Market located at Reno and MidWest Blvd. The store is larger than most Neighborhood Markets and is laid out more like a traditional grocery store. The produce department has been redesigned to try and look like Sunflower Farmers Market. One weird thing that Wal-Mart did in the new design is that they did away with separate mens and womens restrooms. The restrooms are now unisex "Family Restrooms". No urinals in the restrooms means lazy men and boys will be pissing on the toilet seats.

And lazy women will always leave the seats down!! LOL

7. Default Re: Old Wal Mart near Reno and Midwest Blvd

One of our buildings has all toilet bathrooms (ie no urinals in the mens). They actually stay pretty clean...cleaner than a urinal's area. Ever looked around at the wall next to a urinal? Check it out...the wall will have a yellow tint/stain and the metal dividers will actually be rusting. Urine splatters off the ceramic and jumps out and sprays everything down. Yeah they use less water, but they really are kind of gross.

My wife and I tried the new Neighborhood Market yesterday. Overall, we liked it. Prices were hit and miss. Some things were less expensive than at the Supercenters...and some things were higher. One thing we really liked was that, even though the Neighborhood Market was quite a bit smaller than a Supercenter, they had about the same number of checkers on duty. lol I'm hoping they'll keep that up.

9. Default Re: Old Wal Mart near Reno and Midwest Blvd

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    One of our buildings has all toilet bathrooms (ie no urinals in the mens). They actually stay pretty clean...cleaner than a urinal's area. Ever looked around at the wall next to a urinal? Check it out...the wall will have a yellow tint/stain and the metal dividers will actually be rusting. Urine splatters off the ceramic and jumps out and sprays everything down. Yeah they use less water, but they really are kind of gross.
    Geez, you can be so vile and graphic. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Geez, you can be so vile and graphic. LOL
    Gross but true, Thunder. I personally stay away from public restrooms due to what bombermwc mentioned.

11. Default Re: Old Wal Mart near Reno and Midwest Blvd

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Gross but true, Thunder. I personally stay away from public restrooms due to what bombermwc mentioned.
    I do, too, stay away from public restrooms for all of those reasons stated. However, when I need to go pee-pee, I find it fine, because I touch nothing in there. Just go in there (I always use the toilet stall, never stand openly next to dudes at the urinals), pee, and walk away. Most toilets have automatic flush. If not, use my shoe to flush it or not. Don't care. Not my place to worry about. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I do, too, stay away from public restrooms for all of those reasons stated. However, when I need to go pee-pee, I find it fine, because I touch nothing in there. Just go in there (I always use the toilet stall, never stand openly next to dudes at the urinals), pee, and walk away. Most toilets have automatic flush. If not, use my shoe to flush it or not. Don't care. Not my place to worry about. LOL
    There is the few exceptions for me as well when I need to go "pee-pee" and I do pretty much the same thing you do. Why we're talking about what we do during toilet time I have no clue Thunder. Lol

13. Default Re: Old Wal Mart near Reno and Midwest Blvd

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    There is the few exceptions for me as well when I need to go "pee-pee" and I do pretty much the same thing you do. Why we're talking about what we do during toilet time I have no clue Thunder. Lol
    Eh, its an interesting topic. :-P

Now we wait for Venture to facepalm himself.

The wait is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Its a Walmart restroom. Urine on the toilet seat is considered a "good day". They might as well just wash everything with a fire hose everyday. LOL

Don't know about women's restrooms at Walmart. but I'm sure there pretty bad also.

16. Default Re: Old Wal Mart near Reno and Midwest Blvd

OK does anyone else think it's weird that you walk in the door and BAM, you're in the frozen section? It feels like the place was put together backwards or something.

ITA, bomberMWC. I was disoriented from the beginning - it seemed so counterintuitive.

Back to Homeland - where I can find everything and everyone knows my name.

I stopped in last night to grab a couple of things and I didn't see anything special that isn't at Crest. I kinda predicted that it was no places too special because the crowds at both Crest stores stayed the same. I don't think Walmart expects the store to pull in too much revenue. It's likely the whole purpose of it is to be a thorn in Crest's side.

The two have never gotten along that well. I remember reading a story back years ago where Walmart CEO at the time David Glass told Crest Staff he would bury their store when they caught him in the Edmond Crest gathering intel on the store. We all know how well that worked out. In the end the dragon known as Walmart was tamed. It's not the powerhouse it used to be. They are still near the top of the pile however, the competition is constantly knocking them down a notch.

Target, Crest and, Buy For Less now Homeland (I think the employee owned concept will pay off for them) are keeping Walmart corralled.

19. Default Re: Old Wal Mart near Reno and Midwest Blvd

If you believe that, then you are crazy. Do you think WalMart cares about Crest...or really the others either? They make untold billions upon billions. And even with Crest all over town, they still make more in OKC than Crest...even on grocery items. Crest and the other locals might take a little bit from them, but they are also far from unique. In other cities, there are far nicer, more established, and larger local stores that take even more out of the pockets of Wally. Crest is nothing.

Personally, i try NOT to ever go in a WalMart. But you also forget about things like Lowes, Sams, and i believe Arvest is theirs as well, but don't quote me. They all make WalMart that much more money.

Thread Information