Widgets Magazine
Page 107 of 126 FirstFirst ... 757102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3141

Thread: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Default Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    If you can get to the Cox Convention Center underground parking early, the last time I used it was early 2019--it cost $10.00 or maybe $20.00, it fills up fast. You need to be careful parking off site from the Paycom Center (Peake); there may be impostors collecting parking fees on private lots.

Took my girlfriend and her friend (working at a concert) to the area, was asked to pay $15.00 behind a building near the old abandoned Rescue Mission (Spooky). Noticed police were driving around and the guy (wearing loud orange vest) quickly said I'll be back.'

My mind, that drew a red flag. Got ready to pay the guy--he never returned. Walked to my brother's codo (where parking was full there); returned later when my girlfriend texted me that they were ready. Never paid the $15.00, so, I can only guess what happened there.

The area on event nights can make you feel a little cautious and uneasy. B/C some people are walking around like 'zombies' asking for change or help. Always keep snacks, shoes & coats in my trunk--you never want to reach for a wallet in areas you're not familiar with b/c you don't know if a person's 'got game.'

Always keep some protection with you in your vehicle--in case someone wants to act 'ugly.'
    Even in playoff games, I have never seen the main street parking garage charge more than $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    The fact is, and I hate it, the NBA teams hold their host cities hostage. I'm a function over form thinker. I didn't think Reunion Arena was bad. American Airlines is newer but not way better. BOK looks more modern outside than Paycom but I've been to lots of events there and inside I've never been impressed. I'm also all for building a new arena but agree with you that the Paycom isn't "obsolete garbage".
    Agree, especially about BOK. It certainly doesn't function better than Paycom.

If all they really want is a nicer front door and maybe some asymmetrical liquid metal looking façade, we def don't need to start all over for that. I assume any push by team ownership for a new arena would be motivated by added revenue streams and I don't think just making the outside look different is going to do that. At the end of the day, their product is mainly the team they put on the floor and that has nothing to do with the architecture that surrounds it. The experience does matter for sure, but that's not going to create consistent sell outs on its own.

3. Default Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Even in playoff games, I have never seen the main street parking garage charge more than $10.
    I haven't ever paid more than $10. When we go to St Louis for Cards games we have a couple go-to hotels we stay at within walking distance so we don't have to pay $20 to $30 to park.

The fact is, and I hate it, the NBA teams hold their host cities hostage. I'm a function over form thinker. I didn't think Reunion Arena was bad. American Airlines is newer but not way better. BOK looks more modern outside than Paycom but I've been to lots of events there and inside I've never been impressed. I'm also all for building a new arena but agree with you that the Paycom isn't "obsolete garbage".
    I haven't been to other other NBA arenas, but I agree with you, IMHO Paycom is significantly better than BOK on the inside where it actually matters.

Blog Entries

It's been since 2006 since I was at the Suns arena, not sure if it's been replaced, but I did not enjoy the game experience at the time, the bowl layout seemed much farther away from the action in general, and I had decent seats (lower bowl).

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I haven't been to other other NBA arenas, but I agree with you, IMHO Paycom is significantly better than BOK on the inside where it actually matters.
    I've been to a handful of other arenas for NBA games and I don't ever remember thinking that the amenities, function, comfort, interior etc. was head and shoulders above what's going on inside Paycom, save for maybe MSG (the arena bowl is really nice there). A few definitely had better front doors / atriums and/or exteriors. That being said, I didn't have access to any of the "luxury" amenities or levels at those games and didn't explore the entire arena. I've been all over Paycom over the years, so it's kind of hard to compare everything about them when I didn't see everything at any other arena. And none of these arenas were built from the ground up in the last 10 years. All had been renovated at least once, but none were brand new. So maybe there's some new things going into arenas these days of which I am just not aware.

I can say that they all have more going on in them than the BOK center. But that's to be expected. Paycom didn't have 1/10 of what has been added since it got a major league tenant.

I think what's hard about evaluating Paycom vs a new arena is that we don't have any idea what this new arena concept really is and how it would be different / better than Paycom. I'm not even sure anyone has pointed out anything specific that is lacking at Paycom that requires new construction to address. I'm definitely not against the idea of it, but we don't really know what the "it" is.

7. Default Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I've never understood the infatuation with the BOK. We've been to a number of concerts there and often end up on the third level. The walkway around the arena and the amenities on the third level of Paycom are way better than BOK.

I've never understood the infatuation with the BOK. We've been to a number of concerts there and often end up on the third level. The walkway around the arena and the amenities on the third level of Paycom are way better than BOK.
    Decent tour of BOK's Amenities, gives you an idea of the quality of finishes, suites, etc:

When OKC's Arena was built, it was as cookie cutter as it can be, there was nothing that really made Ford Center stand out, other than it was newer and better equipped with three levels wrap around concourses, compared to The Myriad's one giant concourse and no suites. The suite level and upper concourse 300 levels at Paycom are pretty narrow compared to other arena's with similar capacities, this limits the ability to provide more "fan friendly" amenities and opportunities to make more money at events. The renovations and addition on the south side have helped the arena be viable for the last 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Decent tour of BOK's Amenities, gives you an idea of the quality of finishes, suites, etc:

When OKC's Arena was built, it was as cookie cutter as it can be, there was nothing that really made Ford Center stand out, other than it was newer and better equipped with three levels wrap around concourses, compared to The Myriad's one giant concourse and no suites. The suite level and upper concourse 300 levels at Paycom are pretty narrow compared to other arena's with similar capacities, this limits the ability to provide more "fan friendly" amenities and opportunities to make more money at events. The renovations and addition on the south side have helped the arena be viable for the last 15 years.
    I think the original Ford Center is pretty much irrelevant to the discussion at this point. After the remodels, the finishes and quality of suites, bunker clubs, VIP dining areas are all nice. All the common areas and two main entrances have been redone with quality finishes as well. It has some outdoor space that has been underutilized, imo, but other than that it's finished nicely and functions very well.

The footprint and the size of the lot it's on may be the only thing holding it back from adding modern improvements at this point. I don't think BOK is very relevant to the discussion in that sense, either. It's smaller square footage wise (565,000 sq ft) than Paycom (581,000 sq ft). I think to justify a complete new build, it would need to be in the 750k-900k square feet range of a lot of NBA arenas. Doing something ike BOK Center would be a lateral move at best and a total waste of money.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I think the original Ford Center is pretty much irrelevant to the discussion at this point. After the remodels, the finishes and quality of suites, bunker clubs, VIP dining areas are all nice. All the common areas and two main entrances have been redone with quality finishes as well. It has some outdoor space that has been underutilized, imo, but other than that it's finished nicely and functions very well.

The footprint and the size of the lot it's on may be the only thing holding it back from adding modern improvements at this point. I don't think BOK is very relevant to the discussion in that sense, either. It's smaller square footage wise (565,000 sq ft) than Paycom (581,000 sq ft). I think to justify a complete new build, it would need to be in the of a lot of NBA arenas. Doing something ike BOK Center would be a lateral move at best and a total waste of money.
    Agree BDP, OKC will need 750k-900k sq ft range. Predict that once the 2017 bonds expire in 2026 & MAPS 4 expires in 2027 the city could use both bonds/sales tax extensions to quickly pay off the new arena in 3 years.

A new State-of-the-Art arena (demolished Cox site) should cost $500 - $600 million--comparable to Capital One Arena & Fiserv Forum. The site has major infrastructure and underground parking (950 spaces that could save $150 million.

Encompassing 4-square blocks gives you room to include what Paycom Center doesn't have. We could build an arena
    with a beautiful interior/exterior.

11. Default Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Larry, dont forget that the city will also have MAPS 4 funds available that were originally meant for Paycomm, that can be used for the new arena. GO Bond + Maps 4 + possible Maps 4 extension IMO makes this a go with minimal impact to the taxpayer.

OKC should go big, with a 900K sq feet arena on part of the Cox lands, repurposing the parking, and having developers create OKCs version of LA LIve. having a 900K footpring allows the building to be retrofitted in the future should design/requirements change without having to start over every single time with a new building. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Larry, dont forget that the city will also have MAPS 4 funds available that were originally meant for Paycomm, that can be used for the new arena. GO Bond + Maps 4 + possible Maps 4 extension IMO makes this a go with minimal impact to the taxpayer.

OKC should go big, with a 900K sq feet arena on part of the Cox lands, repurposing the parking, and having developers create OKCs version of LA LIve. having a 900K footpring allows the building to be retrofitted in the future should design/requirements change without having to start over every single time with a new building. ..
    Your reference is the $70 million put on 'pause.' Forgot about that, thanks for mentioning.

They may use it toward prep work for the new arena, or for the Thunder Alley. We'll know more once the city hires a firm like Populous to get the ball rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Agree BDP, OKC will need 750k-900k sq ft range. Predict that once the 2017 bonds expire in 2026 & MAPS 4 expires in 2027 the city could use both bonds/sales tax extensions to quickly pay off the new arena in 3 years.
    With that timeline, hopefully bond funding would allow it to be constructed once approved and not wait to start until the $600 MM is in the bank. Because if it's funded through a MAPS type initiative, couldn't that take the time to completion out 10+ years? I'm just worried that, in the meantime, Paycom gets neglected. Or, maybe they are wanting to "tank" the arena, too, to get support for a new one. lol

A new State-of-the-Art arena (demolished Cox site) should cost $500 - $600 million--comparable to Capital One Arena & Fiserv Forum.
    Man, the price tags on those two examples are very far apart. $411 MM (in "2020 dollars", according to wiki) for Capitol One and $1.2 Billion for Fiserv. I'm assuming the Fiserv costs included some surrounding development?

I also think the Cox site can even better leverage the entertainment assets in Bricktown than Paycom currently does, if the design is conscious of it. Obviously, that's a challenge with the tracks being a physical divider. But, if properly integrated with the Santa Fe hub and into bricktown, it could have some nice benefits. If it interacts well with Myriad Gardens on one side and Santa Fe / Bricktown on the other, it would hopefully be more of a bridge between the two instead of the barrier on all sides that the cox site has been for 50 years.

Blog Entries

NBA Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

NBA arenas - top ten:

1. Chase Center, San Francisco, $1.48 billion, 2019 - 18,064
    2. Fiserv Forum, Milwaukee, $1.2 billion, 2018 - 17,385
    3. Barclays Center, Brooklyn, $1 billion/$1.18 billion in 2021 dollars, 2012 - 17,732
    4. Little Caesars Arena, Detroit, $862.9/$988 million in 2021 dollars, 2017 - 20,332
    5. Golden 1 Center, Sacramento, $558.2 million, 2016 - 17,608
    6. Amway Center, Orlando, $480 million/$604 million in 2021dollars, 2010 - 18,846
    7. American Airlines Center, Dallas, $420 million/$643 million in 2021 dollars- 2001 - 19,200
    8. Crypto.com Arena, Los Angeles, $375 million/$610 million in 2021 dollars- 1999 - 19,079
    9. Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, $265 million/$404 million in 2021 dollars - 1999 - 19,800
    10. Moda Center, Portland, $262 million/$466 million in 2021 - 1995 - 19,393

Average cost of the top 10 NBA arenas: $675 million
    Average age of the top 10 NBA arenas: 8 years, 6 months
    Average capacity of the top 10 NBA arenas: 18,824

Source Thunderwire - July 2022: Ranking all 29 NBA arenas in terms of construction cost: https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/...truction-cost/

Got an email today stating they're planning to begin replacing the seats in the arena starting next week. Doing one section at a time between Thunder games/events. The 100 and 200 level seats located on concrete will be done first and then seats on the metal risers and loud city will be done summer 2023 with everything finished before next season. All seats will have cupholders, which will be nice!

Yay for cupholders! I've spilt one too many beers sitting under my seat over the years!

And I have stopped bringing a purse to games because of the spilt beers under the seats.

am I making this up or did they not originally all have cup holders but some removed due to limited size of seats and to give more room? hope the new seating is a nice upgrade. I swear arena seats get smaller and smaller.

That's because arenas are basically adapting to the modern socioeconomics.

There is a small percentage of fans that can afford luxurious evenings at a concert or professional sports game and drop 10 grand on private suite rentals, parking, concessions. Then you have a large percentage of fans that are able to maybe afford a $60 seat for the same event. The problem is people generally take up the same amount of space, so the sacrifices are made to the low rollers' experience since they are paying so much less for their space.

The future of arenas is more suites (w/ varying levels of VIP), private entrances, valet/parking, exclusive concessions and restaurants, and on-site hotel accommodations.

20. Default Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

I believe up in Loud City no cup holders but in 200 level they all have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    am I making this up or did they not originally all have cup holders but some removed due to limited size of seats and to give more room? hope the new seating is a nice upgrade. I swear arena seats get smaller and smaller.
    I recall that the arm rests were shortened after installation (by cutting off cup holders) because the rows were so close together people could not walk to their seats. Or something like that.

22. Default Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I recall that the arm rests were shortened after installation (by cutting off cup holders) because the rows were so close together people could not walk to their seats. Or something like that.
    I also remember them doing some modifications to the seats not long after the arena was built.

Blog Entries

Time for a new NBA specific arena that tops our current 18,203 seat Paycom Center. Paycom Center could then be modified for minor league Ice hockey, OSSAA high school basketball playoffs, rodeos and related events that need more seating than the proposed 5,000 seat State Fair Coliseum.

The new Downtown NBA specific arena could be used for NBA and some concerts and special events.

A mix between Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis and Detroit’s Little Caesars Arena would be amazing. And make it basketball only to get the seats as close to the action as they can get.

I wonder when they’ll announce plans or leak anything out to gauge the reaction.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    A mix between Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis and Detroit’s Little Caesars Arena would be amazing. And make it basketball only to get the seats as close to the action as they can get.

I wonder when they’ll announce plans or leak anything out to gauge the reaction.
    Doubt if they will leak any plans until they are ready to more forward.

The ownership group and the city are in a good position to dictate what both groups want in terms of the arena's design and amenities to make this NBA specific and more concourse space. Selling this for voter approval $500 million (bonds or MAPS 4 extension) since the original plans proposed for the DT arena was to lure an NHL expansion franchise.

Paycom Center could be used more in conjunction with the new convention center and minor league ice hockey (?) to cater to groups in the 5,000 - 15,000 range.

The 4 square block site of Prairie Surf Media will save the city roughly $175 million in site acquisition and prep work--cost
    for most new arenas just to lay the foundation.

OKC should aim to build a top five NBA facility on this site.

Thread Information