Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 126 FirstFirst 1234567891055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Default Re: Arena Renovations

i don't see a problem with this .. the sign on the chamber building was at 4th and broadway ... this is facing reno and the Cox building .. and it will be a great addition to our building

2. Default Re: Arena Renovations

Well in 99% of the cases, I would agree that the sign ordinance thing is good. We don't need people putting crap up around homes and making a bunch of light pollution at night. That's why variances exist though. A sign placed in downtown between the two arenas, no where near any residential stuff is fine. You can grant a variance while maintaining the ordinance.

You don't want ordinances being no-tolerance policies folks. The NTP is the mark of an idiot....flash with no brain. You always want to be able to have special cases discussed.

Although this isn't strictly on topic, I know we've had discussions about whether renovating the arena to bring a team here was "worth the money". I've always maintained that the positive press the city gets is immeasurable. Today I had received some proof. I'm in Chicago visiting my daughters and the Thunder came up. My younger daughter said, "It's the funniest thing....whenever anyone asks me where I am from and I tell them they immediately say some variation on, 'Oh, you have the Thunder and Kevin Durant. Cool.'" Ten years ago, I don't think anyoen would have said anything but. "Oh" to her, or "Is that where they had that bombing?"

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Although this isn't strictly on topic, I know we've had discussions about whether renovating the arena to bring a team here was "worth the money". I've always maintained that the positive press the city gets is immeasurable. Today I had received some proof. I'm in Chicago visiting my daughters and the Thunder came up. My younger daughter said, "It's the funniest thing....whenever anyone asks me where I am from and I tell them they immediately say some variation on, 'Oh, you have the Thunder and Kevin Durant. Cool.'" Ten years ago, I don't think anyoen would have said anything but. "Oh" to her, or "Is that where they had that bombing?"
    If there were a like button for this post, I would push it. I've seen the same thing everywhere I go. People now associate us with things like the NBA, economic growth and sustainability, and energy (business, towers, etc.). That's a huge change. I think the improvements to the arena will help slightly as far as public perception goes. It will make it appear more like a "big league" arena, rather than just a simple building that houses one of the best NBA teams in the country.

I'm all for the OKC Arena upgrades. Still am confused about the elaborate main entrance for the Southwest side. Seems to be a cart before horse theory. The bulk of attendees will be coming from and entering from the north, and the "boulevard" is a long, long way off, so why build it on the SW side?

How much of the Ford Center (Im not gonna call it what it's called now) can you see from Bricktown? Not much. Pretty much only right when you get up on it (on the west side of the railroad wall). The SW corner accommodates a wide open angle of the arena and downtown especially for night sky shots when the games are being broadcast nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by LordGerald View Post
    I'm all for the OKC Arena upgrades. Still am confused about the elaborate main entrance for the Southwest side. Seems to be a cart before horse theory. The bulk of attendees will be coming from and entering from the north, and the "boulevard" is a long, long way off, so why build it on the SW side?
    I don't know about it being a really long ways off. I think its about 3-4 years away.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I don't know about it being a really long ways off. I think its about 3-4 years away.
    More like 2--3, at the most, once the new Interstate is completed, you'll see things involving the old I-40 and the new boulevard move rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    More like 2--3, at the most, once the new Interstate is completed, you'll see things involving the old I-40 and the new boulevard move rather quickly.
    For the most part cars will be just passing by that exit early on as season ticket holder parking is in the Santa Fe parking garage, and many use the cox center parking or arena parking. The street car, entertainment and/or urban housing south of the boulevard are really the things that can make the entrance used. Otherwise it is just nice for the cameras and PR.

Call me negative but I would say at least 5. Most private development will likely not start till after i40 is done, more still will wait on the boulevard being completed and streetcar at least being too late to change for their location/stops.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I don't know how long it will take them to build the boulevard, but I think three years from now is a safe bet. The two major boulevard construction projects don't go up for bid until April and May of 2013. Three years would mean they finished 6-7 months after letting which seems way too generous to me. Penn to Western should be easy. It sounds like their basically just going to repave and restrip the old I-40.

BRIDGE & APPROACHES
    I-40 CROSSTOWN: WP 1.5, BNSF BRIDGE AT BOULEVARD
    17428(25) FFY 2013
    OKLAHOMA Div. 4 IS040 0.040 Mi. Let 01/2013 $6,011,125

GRADE,DRAINING,BRIDGE & SURFACE
    I-40 CROSSTOWN: WP 4.5, GR, DR, BR & SURFACE THE BOULEVARD FROMBNSF
    17428(60) FFY 2013 EAST TO I-40
    OKLAHOMA Div. 4 IS040 0.750 Mi. Let 04/2013 $15,000,000

GRADE,DRAINING,BRIDGE & SURFACE
    WP 5.1: OVRLAY & STRIPE I-40 MAINLINE FR PENN TO WESTERN, GR, DR, BR &
    SURFMULTI-LANE RDWY ON FORMER I-40 XTWN BR ALNMT FR CLASSEN TO
    E.K.GAYLORD.
    17428(80) FFY 2013
    OKLAHOMA Div. 4 IS040 2.170 Mi. Let 05/2013 $15,000,000

Here's a future prediction: After the southwest entrance is built, you will hear people complaining about long lines at the north entrance because of reduced staff. This will force people to walk around. It would be rediculous if they did that, but I would not put it past them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    If there were a like button for this post, I would push it. I've seen the same thing everywhere I go. People now associate us with things like the NBA, economic growth and sustainability, and energy (business, towers, etc.). That's a huge change. I think the improvements to the arena will help slightly as far as public perception goes. It will make it appear more like a "big league" arena, rather than just a simple building that houses one of the best NBA teams in the country.
    So today I went to a movie in Chicago. Prior to the movie there was a 5 minute ad for the All Star game and the NBA in general. There were only a few teams featured, but multiple shots of the Thunder and the OKC arena, probably as many as any other team. Again, we are getting an incredible amount of publicity from the Thunder. Also, announcers on the television here are calling them "Oklahoma City" rather than the Thunder, I've noticed. We are getting our money's worth with this team in so many ways.

So you think in a few years when the south side area is more developed we should spend more money to build the grand entrance when the cost will be much higher? For once the planners are thinking ahead and will save money in the long run and people are complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    So today I went to a movie in Chicago. Prior to the movie there was a 5 minute ad for the All Star game and the NBA in general. There were only a few teams featured, but multiple shots of the Thunder and the OKC arena, probably as many as any other team. Again, we are getting an incredible amount of publicity from the Thunder. Also, announcers on the television here are calling them "Oklahoma City" rather than the Thunder, I've noticed. We are getting our money's worth with this team in so many ways.
    I sincerely hope that is the case, and if it is, the City needs to be banking all of that money coming from it to pay for the replacement arena. Or better yet, let the private, for profit owners of the team pay for their own new arena (place of business). Let the flaming commence....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    I sincerely hope that is the case, and if it is, the City needs to be banking all of that money coming from it to pay for the replacement arena. Or better yet, let the private, for profit owners of the team pay for their own new arena (place of business). Let the flaming commence....
    should the owners then if they build their own arena keep all the profit and tickets sales for the events all year long?

16. Default Re: Arena Renovations

ON the South side of the building, they couldn't build an entrance before because of I-40. And there was no reason to at that time. It was a one-sided entrance building. When I-40 is gone (remember that portion of the highway is destined to NOT be elevated anymore and come done...see the Robinson exit information), then there will be room and you won't have to park and then walk around the entire building to get in. It's more of a convenience thing for access from all sides.

And as for public/private - I think between the 3 arenas in town, OKC has proven that when a city keeps its head on its shoulders, it can run a facility well and still make money on it. But we also have to continue to improve the facilties. None of our arenas are historic in comparison to something like Madison Square Garden or something, so you won't see renovation after renovation. But what we do have, is an incredible position in having two lots across the street from one another.

Here's how I see it happening.....in another 20 years or so we'll be ready to look at a new arena and by that time, the new convention center is built so the Myrid is ready to come down. BAM, there's the land for the new building so there isn't anything to purchase, just some demo to do. By then, the Myriad will be 50...time to go. We'll maintain the "across-the-street" status and the Ford Center becomes what the Myriad is now...the secondary arena for meetings, hockey, etc. The hand-me-down's from one arena to the other have done great things for the Myriad in terms of updating it lately (ie the scoreboard from the Ford Center), so we are really in a good place to continue. I think the city sees the value in what is here with the Ford Center and the Thunder. Now the question is, can we maintain that in the future or will one side become greedy and think they deserve more of the pie?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    So you think in a few years when the south side area is more developed we should spend more money to build the grand entrance when the cost will be much higher? For once the planners are thinking ahead and will save money in the long run and people are complaining.
    Not complaining. I just don't see the utility of building a "grand entrance" that no one is going to use for several years. I say build a pretty facade on the SW side for tv cameras, and make the northwest and northeast entrances opulent, fan friendly and accessible.

Not complaining. I just don't see the utility of building a "grand entrance" that no one is going to use for several years. I say build a pretty facade on the SW side for tv cameras, and make the northwest and northeast entrances opulent, fan friendly and accessible.

Yeah, we dont want to think ahead of what it will be and align it with the master plan. Instead, satisfy everyone right now, then complain later that the south entrance isnt inviting enough etc..
    Plan ahead??? No way!!

I think that the new entrance is as much about creating more space as it is about a new entrance. The southwest corner is really the only area where the arena could be expanded. When I-40 opens next year Robinson will become a primary route of entry into dowtown for westbound interstate drivers.

I think that the 1st stretch of the new Blvd. will be in front of the new Grand Entry. That stretch might be usable sooner than most think.

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    I think that the new entrance is as much about creating more space as it is about a new entrance. The southwest corner is really the only area where the arena could be expanded. When I-40 opens next year Robinson will become a primary route of entry into dowtown for westbound interstate drivers.
    They had plans to build a practice court in another section but that was dropped due to the sales tax being 10 million short.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Here's how I see it happening.....in another 20 years or so we'll be ready to look at a new arena and by that time, the new convention center is built so the Myrid is ready to come down. BAM, there's the land for the new building so there isn't anything to purchase, just some demo to do. By then, the Myriad will be 50...time to go. We'll maintain the "across-the-street" status and the Ford Center becomes what the Myriad is now...the secondary arena for meetings, hockey, etc. The hand-me-down's from one arena to the other have done great things for the Myriad in terms of updating it lately (ie the scoreboard from the Ford Center), so we are really in a good place to continue. I think the city sees the value in what is here with the Ford Center and the Thunder. Now the question is, can we maintain that in the future or will one side become greedy and think they deserve more of the pie?
    That seems ideal. My only concern is that the Myriad site is not large enough to accommodate an arena up to 2031 standards or whenever the new arena is built. I'm not familiar with the size of the site, though.

Wasn't the LED screen going to be right above the future SW entrance? Isn't that what the renderings suggested? Or is that just static Thunder advertisement?

Quote Originally Posted by iMAX386 View Post
    Wasn't the LED screen going to be right above the future SW entrance? Isn't that what the renderings suggested? Or is that just static Thunder advertisement?
    Their were renderings of one their at a point, but at this time the only one planed to go in this round is on the north side and it is having issues with city ordinances. They apparently are wiring the southwest side so one could go in at one point though.

25. Default Re: Arena Renovations

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    That seems ideal. My only concern is that the Myriad site is not large enough to accommodate an arena up to 2031 standards or whenever the new arena is built. I'm not familiar with the size of the site, though.
    Take a look at a google map or something. The footprint of the Myriad site is almost double that of the Ford Center. The concern should actually be looking at having the one that goes on the current Ford Center site. The Myriad has a plot as large as the Myriad Gardens, while the Ford Center has a little over half of that. They made it "work" by angling the arena on a 45.

Thread Information