Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 126 FirstFirst 1234567853103 ... LastLast

Thread: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

1. Default Re: Arena Renovations

Quote Originally Posted by circuitboard View Post
    We still get the big screen on the outside right? They said they had extra money to do that.... I sure hope so!!
    I doubt it. Such a spectacular item would have been in the graphic were it to be included. We've got to learn to stop trusting in the most magnificent views which are put forth in city graphics. Another example is the pedestrian bridge. I hope that I'm mistaken but I doubt that I am. I, too, will miss having this very special feature, but I'm glad to have what we will get, just the same. Perhaps one day we will actually be delivered something quite spectacular and which sets us apart from other cities ... but not today.

Default Re: Arena Renovations

Pretty sure the screen is still a go and proposed for the West side, that rendering is facing south, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Prer sure the screenis still on and proposed for the NORTH side, that rendering is facing south
    Can you stop posting from your cell phone while driving?

4. Default Re: Arena Renovations

Prer sure the screenis still on and proposed for the NORTH side, that rendering is facing south
    I don't think so, Metro. I've got an image somewhere but haven't found it yet ... pretty sure the video display was on the south.

I think it's more northwest facing, I typed north, but either way I could be wrong, but nonetheless I'm pretty sure it is still a go and didn't get nixed.

I was watching a meeting on the city channel last month. I do not remember the details but there was a report on the arena. The person making the report said that there would be a screen but it would be on the north side. They also said the new southwest entry would be wired for a screen in case the money became available for it too. The reason given for moving the screen to the north side was to take advantage of the gathering space on Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    I doubt it. Such a spectacular item would have been in the graphic were it to be included. We've got to learn to stop trusting in the most magnificent views which are put forth in city graphics. Another example is the pedestrian bridge. I hope that I'm mistaken but I doubt that I am. I, too, will miss having this very special feature, but I'm glad to have what we will get, just the same. Perhaps one day we will actually be delivered something quite spectacular and which sets us apart from other cities ... but not today.
    Think they just grabbed the wrong rendering (before the one with the added video screen). Notice that it as dated rendering at best because it still says "Ford Center". Don't recall the video display being among the deleted items due to the revenue shortfall (but may be mistaken).

You must be thinking of the Chamber Headquarters with the big screen in the front.

No, one of the Ford Arena renderings had a large video screen too (In that area right above the "Ford Center")

10. Default Re: Arena Renovations

I remember seeing that as well, you're not crazy. But there were so many different versions, who knows if that got pulled out or not.

LED screens that size are actually pretty cheap these days compared to what the old jumbotrons cost. So It may not have been that big of an item to cut out. Although I'd rather have seen the practice court stay than keep an outdoor TV.....they work so well and all that Toby Keith took his down after he NEVER used it.

in the council meeting last week or the week before .. they talked about a screen on the north side on the okc arena

Wink Re: Arena Renovations

Pretty sure the screen is still a go and proposed for the West side, that rendering is facing south, but I could be wrong.

If that is facing south then the sun started setting in the south!!! Look at the bottom right corner, about an inch up, the sun is setting!!! Someone needs to get real with their renderings!!!

Blog Entries

This final upgrade is really going to make the arena into an upper class NBA facility IMO. When all is said and done there are not going to be that many arenas in the NBA that will be as slick as this one IMO.

This arena is a joke. The BOK center in Tulsa is SOOO much better and they don't even have a team. The real problem with this arena cannot be fixed. The angle of the seating and lack of leg room in "Loud City" cannot be fixed. This arena sucks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post

If that is facing south then the sun started setting in the south!!! Look at the bottom right corner, about an inch up, the sun is setting!!! Someone needs to get real with their renderings!!!
    Life is good if this is all you can find wrong with a conceptual drawing. Maybe it's the sunset reflecting of of windows.

It's not the BOK, which I agree is stunning architecturally (to an architectural novice, granted), but it's ours and it houses the Thunder, of whom I am quite fond. I think the new entrance is very attractive and while it smacks a wee bit of putting lipstick on a pig, since the majority of the arena will remain our homely (in the Tokien sense of the word and perhaps generic as well) old ...cough...Ford Center, it is a definite improvment. I'm very excited, if the rumor is true, about having Iron Starr in the arena as well, which will be a massive upgrade from the Old Number 7 Club, if that's it's name. I'm hoping the plywood stalls in the bathroom with Home Depot brand slide locks will be going as well.

Blog Entries

This arena is a joke. The BOK center in Tulsa is SOOO much better and they don't even have a team. The real problem with this arena cannot be fixed. The angle of the seating and lack of leg room in "Loud City" cannot be fixed. This arena sucks!!!
    Wow. Tell us what you REALLY think. Must be a Tulsan with big league envy or a contractor who wasn't picked.

I've been to a number of other NBA arenas and ours competes just fine with leg room and angles. This has never been the issue. The issue has always been the lack of amenities and slick architectural elements. The upgrades significantly improve that aspect with new flooring, fixtures, etc., new restaurants, casual areas and collecting area in the new entry, as well as improving the general spartan look of the outside.

And, the truth is, the best part of the arena is the product it serves us. NBA, world class concerts and other entertaining, etc. So, regardless of the space ship that landed in downtown t-tow, OKC Arena is still superior in so many ways.

While I think the BOK is better, your complaint is a joke. I have season tickets in Loud City and the leg rooom is fine. How tall are you? Lol.

The leg room must be great in those upper decks, to compensate for being at least 40 feet further back from the court.

I wouldn't pay attention to NDN, I've never seen a serious post from her ever. And clearly has never been to any other NBA arenas.

Betts, Iron Starr is not a rumor, it was formally announced along time ago.

I have season tickets in Loud City and I'm 6'4''. While it isn't roomy, I have no problem and I'm not ever uncomfortable.

I agree the outside of the arena isn't that great looking, but it's definitely not terrible. The entrance will be a much-needed upgrade. it would be nice if they could add some kind of lights around the entire outside and maybe the roof.

23. Default Re: Arena Renovations

I'm 6'6" and have been to many games in Loud City. No complaints about the leg room here.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    in the council meeting last week or the week before .. they talked about a screen on the north side on the okc arena
    Please note the mention of inside and outside audio visual improvements.

http://www.newsok.com/article/3539203le

Leg room (remember the cup holders?) and sound system were the major complaints of the Arena when it first opened. IIRC, space between rows was deliberately done to squeeze more seats in the smaller footprint. Among other "value engineering". The city's response/defense about sound quality for concerts was it wasn't designed to be a concert facility (even though concerts have been the bread-n-butter that not only kept the Ford profitable but one of the top concert venues in the country its first few years). It didn't stop acts from coming or people attending. it was designed for sporting events (but the same sound quality complaints were present there as well).

Thread Information