Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 126 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560110 ... LastLast

Thread: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Arena Renovations

If you need further evidence of the worth of the Thunder to OKC:

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/20...oklahoma-city/

Looks promising for Chesapeake Arena. . .

3. Default Re: Arena Renovations

Quote Originally Posted by bbhill View Post
    Looks promising for Chesapeake Arena. . .
    I would suggest reading this thread beginning at about post #320.

OKC Council approves fee hike for sports arena renovations
    By Brian Brus
    Journal Record
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2837
    Posted: 06:55 PM Tuesday, April 12, 2011

OKLAHOMA CITY – The City Council approved a fee increase of $740,000 for architectural services for renovations at the Oklahoma City Arena downtown Tuesday.

The revised contract for services performed by SAIC Energy, Environment & Infrastructure LLC – formerly The Benham Cos. – that was submitted to the council for approval was $10.5 million, still well within the bounds of the project budget.

In 2008 voters approved a penny sales tax set to expire after 15 months to generate about $100 million for a major overhaul of the sports arena and $20 million for a practice facility to lure the SuperSonics NBA franchise team to the city. The team was later renamed the Thunder.

Renovations included a new grand entrance for the arena, multistory atrium, new restaurants, clubs, concession areas, bunker suites, loge boxes, locker rooms and several team offices.

But with a slumping economy, sales tax revenues dedicated to the arena came up short of initial projections. And locally based Benham Cos. and Sink Combs Dethlefs were told to revamp the project to keep it within available funds. Adjustments included eliminating an entire 1,000-square-foot bay, reducing a children’s party area, and significantly altering plans for restaurants and private rooms on the second floor.

Because of tight construction windows, the changes delayed the expected completion date from 2010 to 2012, and additional architectural and engineering services were anticipated for contractor oversight, monitoring and reporting, Oklahoma City Special Projects Manager Tom Anderson told council members Tuesday.

Given the current tax revenues weighed against project expenses including the latest amendment, the remaining fund balance for the arena project is $3.7 million in addition to budgeted contingencies, city officials said. The revenues figure includes consideration of the Thunder reimbursing the city about $427,000 for the construction of office space.

The Thunder basketball team last year received the council’s approval to add certain improvements to the practice facility as long as they did not charge those changes to the city. Those changes included upgrades to interior finishes, electrical systems and the basketball court floor. About 500 square feet was added for additional strength-training gym space; the physical therapy pool systems were changed; and the kitchen layout was improved.

City Council members unanimously approved the fee increase and praised the companies and Thunder management for working so well together through the changes.

Councilman Pat Ryan said, “I think this is an example of what happens sometimes when we come up short in our MAPS revenues projections. There are some avenues available to us to re-engineer the contracts, to deliver essentially what we promised to deliver.”

City Manager Jim Couch said, “The team has been great to work with. I’ve heard horror stories of teams coming in and being demanding and unreasonable and such, and I cannot say that about the Thunder. The Thunder has been with us through all the meetings; they sat there and were a part of every decision we made.”

Does anyone have a guess as to when the announcement will finally come? The wait is killing me

Can someone post pictures of the brackets. I forgot to look last night when I was at the game

Quote Originally Posted by okcfollower View Post
    Can someone post pictures of the brackets. I forgot to look last night when I was at the game
    The brackets that are up there are from the "Ford Center".. Not new ones..

8. Default Re: Arena Renovations

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Did anyone see that OKC is the #7 fan favorite in the NBA? So while we are pretty successful as a team, we also seem to be pretty stinking popular too. Could it be because our players are a good reflection of our city's attitude? Polite, not big-headed, but still get our work done....
    A couple djs that we brought thru were all about the thunder due to that reason. We are America's team.

Wasn't there speculation this was a done deal and they were just waiting until the playoffs to make the announcement? What happened with that?

So, with the possibility of this extending into June (which obviously we're ALL rooting for), how does this affect the arena renovations? Seems like it might not ever get done at this rate, and might have to be put off for another year?

Why? They're working on the final phase now...

How much can they really do inside right now anyway? I would think most of the inside work would take place after the steel for the new entrance is erected and they begin tying everything in.

Building the new entrance and completing it will take longer than doing all the inside work.. All the inside work can be done in about 3 months, anytime between the end of June and October.

14. Talking Re: Arena Renovations

When I was passing the arena on the Crosstown yesterday, I noticed some brackets on both sides of where it used to say "Ford Center" ,and they looked to be in the shape of the Midfirst logo. So...I'm as convinced as ever that it will be "Midfirst Bank Center."

15. Default Re: Arena Renovations

The Piggy Bank arena?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I can see the headlines, "The Thunder couldn't Bank a win against the Dallas Mavs at home at the Midfirst Bank Arena", "Can't BANK on Westbrook", etc.

Blog Entries

We can paint a big slot on the top for all the aerial views.

Can we get a picture from anyone who is downtown of the new brackets please?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I can see the headlines, "The Thunder couldn't Bank a win against the Dallas Mavs at home at the Midfirst Bank Arena", "Can't BANK on Westbrook", etc.
    You can take that to the bank...

Blog Entries

So, Durant's nickname becomes "Money"? Like, Money In The Bank.

Are you a sports animal caller?

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Are you a sports animal listener? (That's almost as bad lol)

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Definitely not, not even close ro the type, never have listened to the sports animal

I'm pretty sure those brackets are left over from the Ford Center sign. What are the odds that the name would be announced right after the playoffs? Most likely it will be right before the new season starts.

Agree, there were a few that suggested they were waiting to make the naming rights announcement/sign unveiling until we made the playoffs. Didn't happen. If a naming rights deal was in place, why lose out on all of the national exposure etc of the playoffs? Get your name up there NOW! (well, not NOW, but THEN) LOL

Thread Information