Widgets Magazine

Thread: Converting a gas to wood burning fireplace

1. Default Converting a gas to wood burning fireplace

What is the best way to go about doing this? Does anyone have any business recommendations in the OKC area that are capable of this transition? Thanks.

Default Re: Converting a gas to wood burning fireplace

Why?

ive had both and speaking from experience, unless you are just have a large amount of wood that you are wanting to get rid of im not sure its worth the effort.

-cleaning it out after each use, and waiting for the embers to cool
    -constant fire danger
    -having the flume cleaned or trying to do it yourself
    -having it inspected to make sure its safe
    -bring wood in during winter and keeping it dry
    -change in wind direction and speed can blow smoke into your house
    -making sure that you have an outside air source so it wont use the warm air in the house for combustion
    -purchasing firewood is expensive, making sure the wood you have is dried

Dont get me wrong there is nothing better than a nice crackling log fire on a cold winter day, but i love being able to go over to my gas fireplace now and fire it up within 3 seconds and then just turning off the gas when we are done with it. two cents

We have a rick of wood and plan to burn it this winter. When it is gone, we are going to gas (with a gas log) for the same reasons Bradzilla listed. A fireplace is really a waste of energy so using it for atmosphere is all we really want. My two cents, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TStheThird View Post
    What is the best way to go about doing this? Does anyone have any business recommendations in the OKC area that are capable of this transition? Thanks.
    Best get a really good contractor...a gas fireplace has essentially a vent pipe...a fireplace flue--is quite a more serious and substantial thing. Be sure your fire insurance is current and covers you...

6. Default Re: Converting a gas to wood burning fireplace

Thanks for the responses. This is a home we recently purchased and I've never has a gas fireplace. After reading your responses, I'll keep the gas. I think the enticing aspect of wood burning was merely nostalgic. As far as the gas goes, is it really as simple as turning the gas on while burning and then off when finished? I know that's ignorant but like I said I have no experience. Also out of curiosity, what does it cost to run? Thanks again for your advice.

Thanks for the responses. This is a home we recently purchased and I've never has a gas fireplace. After reading your responses, I'll keep the gas. I think the enticing aspect of wood burning was merely nostalgic. As far as the gas goes, is it really as simple as turning the gas on while burning and then off when finished? I know that's ignorant but like I said I have no experience. Also out of curiosity, what does it cost to run? Thanks again for your advice.
    don't
    You have a fireplace that is hooked up to gas? If it were me, I would invest in a nice gas log that looks real, and use that. Some of them are amazingly realisitic looking and they do put out some heat although you wouldn't want to use that to heat a house (but fireplaces aren't all that great for that, either). You can turn it on and off for atmosphere. Fireplaces are big energy gluts but we all love them, gas log or wood. I don't know how much it costs to run but gas isn't all that expensive, I wouldn't think. Maybe someone else can answer that. Ignorance is nothing to worry about - easily cured. Hit the internet for a bit more to chew on.

This sounds more like you have a wood burning fireplace with a gas starter. If that's the case then the gas and burner is there to facilitate starting the wood on fire and then turn the gas off. There has to be a chimney that draws.

It certainly means you can install a good set of gas logs.

Or if you want to continue burning wood you might consider an insert or one of the various kinds of stoves that might be able to fit inside your fireplace.

9. Default Re: Converting a gas to wood burning fireplace

Flinty- you are correct. It is a wood burning fireplace but it is currently set up to gas with fake logs already installed. I have no problem with using the gas and fake logs, but want to make sure I am using it correctly; turn gas on, light fire and then turn gas off when finished. Is it really that simple?

Flinty- you are correct. It is a wood burning fireplace but it is currently set up to gas with fake logs already installed. I have no problem with using the gas and fake logs, but want to make sure I am using it correctly; turn gas on, light fire and then turn gas off when finished. Is it really that simple?
    If there is a set of gas logs you can just remove it: turn off the gas, remove all of the components of the gas logs until you're left with the burner mechanism. Usually there is a flexible pipe that connects the burner mechanism to the gas line in the fire box. Disconnect the burner and remove it. Cap the pipe or, if you're going to put back a cheater, then buy one and install it.

You might want to check the gas logs first though as some sets are quite expensive and actually put out quite a lot of heat compared to a wood fire. You usually can find the information about the logs on a plate on the burner mechanism.

Good luck.

Thread Information