Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KTOK Before It Was All Talk

Default KTOK Before It Was All Talk

I have been a KTOK listener since about 1967. It had a pop/oldies format plus some fun features at the time. Anyone remember the adventures of Chicken Man? How about B. Mark Summers, "your blue-eyed, hairy-chested hero"? In the summertime he had a background sound bed of swimming pool sounds. Tom Furlong was always signing off about 5 or 6 PM with "put on the coffee pot, honey, I'm coming home". Bob Riggins had the morning drive time slot and Captain Jim Purdue did traffic in "Red Rover". I heard Eddy Arnold, The Mills Brothers, Al Martino, Tony Bennett, etc. and enjoyed it. Not long after this came a gradual shift to all talk. I can't remember who came before John Dale, but there were a few. B.J. Wexler was a talk host, Bob Miller had the "trading post" on Saturdays.

Who and what do you remember from KTOK?

Default Re: KTOK Before It Was All Talk

The 10 Spot Jackpot

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    I have been a KTOK listener since about 1967. It had a pop/oldies format plus some fun features at the time. Anyone remember the adventures of Chicken Man? How about B. Mark Summers, "your blue-eyed, hairy-chested hero"? In the summertime he had a background sound bed of swimming pool sounds. Tom Furlong was always signing off about 5 or 6 PM with "put on the coffee pot, honey, I'm coming home". Bob Riggins had the morning drive time slot and Captain Jim Purdue did traffic in "Red Rover". I heard Eddy Arnold, The Mills Brothers, Al Martino, Tony Bennett, etc. and enjoyed it. Not long after this came a gradual shift to all talk. I can't remember who came before John Dale, but there were a few. B.J. Wexler was a talk host, Bob Miller had the "trading post" on Saturdays.

Who and what do you remember from KTOK?
    I listened while throwing papers of a morning. One tune attached to the station was "Nashville Cats" by the Loving Spoonful. Loved it when they did OU football. Things started early with persons selling or giving away (yes giving away) tickets. This took up most of the morning and then the pre-game show. Then the game broadcast which included Mike Treps, Can't recall first name (John ?) Brooks, and others. Post game interviews. Then post game call in. It was an exciting day each Saturday.
    Remember when Al Eschbach started his radio work early evening during the week.
    Who was the on-air person that committed suicide? Early 1970's?

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I listened while throwing papers of a morning. One tune attached to the station was "Nashville Cats" by the Loving Spoonful. Loved it when they did OU football. Things started early with persons selling or giving away (yes giving away) tickets. This took up most of the morning and then the pre-game show. Then the game broadcast which included Mike Treps, Can't recall first name (John ?) Brooks, and others. Post game interviews. Then post game call in. It was an exciting day each Saturday.
    Oh yeah, at first I couldn't stand Eschbach. His nasal "Jersey" accent and donkey laugh just turned me to crap. But over time I came to realize that he knows what he's talking about and now I'm a huge fan. The one who committed suicide...I'll have to think about that. I remember it happening, I just can't remember the name.

Lou Staples

I listened to KOMA while throwing papers. The song that stands out most, that I first heard on my paper route, is "My Generation". The DJ said that at the end of the song we might think there was something wrong with our transistor radios, but it was just the guitarist smashing his guitar against the amplifier.

I remember KTOK as a country station, at least to my 11 yr old ears at the time. The song I most associate with KTOK is "Wolverton Mountain". KTOK was the station my Mom and grandparents listened to. I was strictly KOMA, sometimes WKY.
    Last edited by skyrick; 11-25-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: add detail

I remember Bob Durgin, Jack Hammett and Ed Benedict, among others. There were a couple of KTOK people who went from there to KWTV and then on CNN. Larry Lamotte was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    I remember Bob Durgin, Jack Hammett and Ed Benedict, among others. There were a couple of KTOK people who went from there to KWTV and then on CNN. Larry Lamotte was one of them.
    Was that not "Eggs" Benedict? Sorry, but I just had to.......

Actually, I think he was called that.

I also recall Jim Boren, Billie Rodely and others. I also remember when its studios were in that old house west of downtown.

10. Default Re: KTOK Before It Was All Talk

Don't forget B J Wexler and Bob Riggins. There was also a late night show called the Nightcaps. I loved Bob Durgen. There was also John Dayle and Carlton Cordell. I listened to that station religiously. John Dayle and his wife had a vitamin store at the Mayfair shopping center. He used to bring in sourdough bread from San Francisco. The station was fun back then.

Prunepicker Guest

I still can't stand the voice of Al Eschbach.

Listened in the 60's just to hear Paul Harvery News and Comment.
    Paul Harvey taught me that news could be interesting and
    sometimes amusing.

Prunepicker Guest

Billy Rodley doens't look like her voice. I pictured her as a tall brunette in a
    slinky black dress.

13. Default Re: KTOK Before It Was All Talk

Before KTOK went all-talk it was considered a full-service "MOR" station - stood for "middle-of-the-road" (standards, soft pop, crossover country); the "full-service" part designated their commitment to a strong news department, news on the hour, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Billy Rodley doens't look like her voice. I pictured her as a tall brunette in a
    slinky black dress.
    Yeah. I used to work with a man who had worked with Billie for a long time. He said she was the cookie baker in the group. I believe it. She may not be a tall brunette in a slinky black dress, but she was always very professional in her delivery.

Yeah. I used to work with a man who had worked with Billie for a long time. He said she was the cookie baker in the group. I believe it. She may not be a tall brunette in a slinky black dress, but she was always very professional in her delivery.
    How were cookies?

I don't know why it comes to mind but, "Come Over Red Rover" traffic reports.

Quote Originally Posted by dhawkins View Post
    I don't know why it comes to mind but, "Come Over Red Rover" traffic reports.
    I'll still have some kind of safety card from elementary school signed by Captain Jim Purdue.

I really don't remember before it was all talk. My dad listened to it everyday! I do remember them playing music every now and then in the 70's, So the song I remember most was an instrumental called "Music Box Dancer" as well as "Just as I Needed you Most" and "You Needed Me".

Many of those DJ's stayed on with KTOK after it became all talk. I remember the weatherman Rick Tassatanno and sounded kinda like Al Ashback's brother. I remember them always giving the time as "KTOK Newstime is...."
    Hearing Paul Harvey always reminds of riding along with my late father. "And Now you know................The Rest of the story...Good Day.

I'm old enough to remember when Gary England was the weather man on KTOK, before Rick Tassetano.

I'm old enough to remember when Gary England was the weather man on KTOK, before Rick Tassetano.
    Actually, Gene Collett was meterologist before Rick Tasetano. In fact, both Gene and Rick were meterologists; both learned meteorology in the military.

Gene owned an airplane. In the mornings, weather permitting, Gene would pilot the airplane with Jim Perdue aboard and giving traffic reports from the air. In the afternoon Gene would have someone pilot the airplane while he sat in the right seat giving traffic reports and weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    slinky black dress.
    That seems to be common among radio folk...rarely does the face we envision match up with the voice....wasn't it Mike Macarvel(sp) that joked he had a "great face for radio"

22. Default Re: KTOK Before It Was All Talk

Oh God, I really, truly, dearly hope Billie sees this thread. Billie is a friend - she'd crack up at this discussion.

23. Default Re: KTOK Before It Was All Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Mike Macarvel(sp) that joked he had a "great face for radio"
    Among others, though McCarville is certainly justified in claiming so.

After doing a brief radio interview some months back, I think I can safely say I have the perfect voice for newspapers.

Actually, Gary England really was weather guy at KTOK before Rick Tassetano. I know this. Check it out. I was an avid listener in 1967 and heard Gary doing his Thunder Lizard shtick back then.

25. Default Re: KTOK Before It Was All Talk

Lou Staples is the one that committed suicide. If I remember right, they found his body by Lake Hefner.

Thread Information